Age 59 / klonopin 25 yrs/ ave dose 3 mgs,/ & THIS SITE IS THE ONLY GOOD THING!!

[Jo...]

Hi all,

I would not be doing this if it were not for the "Board Approval"  as I am somewhat shy, no...no social phobia....But I am interested in seeing if there is anyone in a somewhat similar ( quite dreadful, given what I know..... what was I thinking???..or most likely not thinking as the case may be) Drug KLONOPINI for ....ok ready ...about 25 years!! 

And to make matters worse I would say my average daily dose was ( is?) about 3.0 mgs per day over that time. Now I did not start this "horrible ( to quote someone my age) Drug" as stated by Stevie Nicks,,,for those lucky enough to be in the years I have past, when I was 20 either so Stevie and I are pretty old  ...I believe she is about 59. And was (NO IS ) a fabulous rock star from a band called Fleetwood Mac. She tells these horrible stories and she was only on it for eight years  ( only eight is a relative term) as all benzos should only be given in my humble opinion for A MAX of 2 weeks in the most dire of circumstances like the loss of a spouse, and perhaps not given at all

And of course, I WANT out.

I am not sure but I get the feeling that most of you are in the UK, I am in the US, but if I have to stand on the door step of the people from Dr. Heather Ashton's <sp?> website in the UK I will. I have all sorts of horrible side effects and I will not bore you as I am sure it has been stated before, suffice it to say , its somewhat like  a horrible case of fibromyalgia and being in the seizure threshold plus early onset dementia  ,,, And I have been taking 2 mgs for about 6 months. ( thus the hint of withdrawl) as my body is used to double that.

Bottom line almost 60 ..25 years on an aver of 3 mgs a day of klonopin ..which as a half life of 18 hours so we all know this chemical is in every single cell of my body.

And other than that everything is peachy keen!

For those of you who have not fallen alseep from this long post I will say.

Thank you for your interest.

JoAnna732

Hi JoAnna,

Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

25 years of use is a long time but coming off klonopin is definitely doable. I'm tapering off it myself as well as many of our members.

You'll find a lot of information and support here. I'm glad you found us.

Hope

Welcome to BenzoBuddies JoAnna.  :)  There are a few of us oldtimers (jeez, hate that word) around who have been on the drugs for a couple of decades and have managed to get off of them.  Sounds like you have read the Ashton Manual and got an education on how to withdraw from benzo's ... good for you.  You've already come down one whole mg ... that's great progress already.  I actually think that most of the members here are American but the site originates in Great Britain.

Post away and make yourself at home.

Hi JoAnna732 :hug:

Welcome to BB, good for you wanting off these drugs, are you going to do a crossover to diazepam??? have you read the Ashton manual. Sorry about all the questions ::) 

http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

Whatever way you choose to taper we will support you here, its recommended to do 10% cuts every 2 weeks

Good Luck JoAnna, you can do this. I had tolerance for years but had no idea, my doctors were no help at all.

((hugs))

Margarita :thumbsup:

Thank you all for your replies. Yes I have read the Ashtom Manuel and yes I plan on switching over to Valium. I have a fair idea of what lies ahead AND I AM SO GRATEFUL FOR YOUR REPLIES because although i realize the importance of  social  and familial support ....sadly for a zillion reasons I do not have the luxury of either other than this.

Over the years I have been shocked by US physicians ..whats the word, rigidity?  ignorance??  whatever to understand the long process.  I have known physicans who head up 3 of the "best" mental health facilities ..( NOT REHAB OR DETOX)..in the country and they all are still talking 2 weeks.  HOWEVER I have been fortunate in that my current psychiatrist

( by the way I will of course use spell check but please forgive me I can not spell to save my life...I don't know when THAT TOO started but I never had a problem before,  and so many typos!!!...my apologies )

Anyway, I have a young psychiatrist who thinks out of the box and is also quite bright .

He is conservative and after knowing me for about 2.5 years he does trust my judgement to a fair degree so if I find info that he has not read, he will try to make time to read and so far he knows all the references such as the Ashton manual.

I have been trying to get a psychiatrist to "sign on" to this program and use the tapering and Valium for years!!  They all look at me as if I am crazy!! 

Anyway, thanks so much for your replies and encouragement Support is so crucial, I wish I had known so many things before ( honestly I think i did and i knew i was in trouble and thus the klonopin)

Thanks again, biog time....

Best,

JoAnna732  :smitten:

Hi Joanna!

Congrats on wanting to stop ur benzo!  U have come to the right place.  These peeps (Im from the states too) r the experts.  I got all the answers to the questions medical people couldnt answer.  I didnt know Stevie was addicted to benzos.  i'll have to research this.  Welcome hugs x Candy

I have 20 year history of continuous Benzo use. 40 months free today. 80% healed.

Go for a very slow tapper and be prepared for a long withdrawal. One day you will know that you are out of this nightmare.

Its worth a try.

Wow, Neil that is incredible, So you say " a very long taper" and you are 40 months free . Is this a stupid question, does that 40 moths include your taper ...no I guess not since you are free 40 months, ( see what I mean by early onset dementia )......so indeed how long was your taper ......  I am thinking about 18-24 months taper  for me.

Anybody else feel free to chime in and also if I go that slowly ( its actually following the Ashton Manual almost verbatim,) how bad will it be.

I realize it varies by person and for various reasons at a few times in my life I have gone I have gone up to 10 days without the drug , ......Ironically right now happens to be one of them , its been since Thursday,  hopefully I will have it today.  which might explain why I am posting at 4 am US (Eastern Time) Its not that glaring as it shows as UK time, but soon you will all see  :idiot:

I do not over use but unable to get to my pharmacy and my doctor insists on weekly scripts ( and I understand)

Hi JoAnna, another long time benzo user chiming in here. All I can say is thank heavens we found this group. As you can see by my sig line,. long time use of 2 benzos prescribed  from my old gp that retired and a new one that just keep prescribing them without a question, it had taken me a long time to realize I am not addicted but dependent and have been working hard to get off them as I have for a few years now been thinking I was in early dementia. I am tapering very slowly using a water titration method I learned here, Dr is aware and not interested in even learning about ashton"why would I prescribe another Benzo?: like am some addict, I read the success stories and research everything I can> I too have no support but I am a strong woman and plan to do this and you can too! Ladygrace, oh and I recently seem to have become dyslexic as I constantly switch up letters as I am typing and can no longer spell!!

JoAnna732,

Welcoming you to Benzo Buddies.

I have seen many here, who have been on Benzo's a long time. They are gone now, pretty much healed up.

You can do this. You need toi slow taper. I seen you were going to c/o to Valium in another post. That's the way to go. Well, in my opinion.

I was on Klonopin 6 years + 2 years Valium = 8 years.

You can do this, and know, it can be done! It's a process, but you can do this!

We're here to help any way we can.

Also, if you would like to add a signature: Signature

Billy.

I'm 56 and I am tapering off Klonopin. Read my signature. Leaving work now.

Welcome and Good Luck!!!!

I'm in the US, North Carolina to be exact. In the mountains with all the Hillbilly's. lol

It seems to be that you will be ok!! 

One thing ( and who am I to give advice) although my "gut" feeling was somewhat confirmed a few days ago when I started reading all the posts. I, too was on Neurontin , and I have stopped it before it gets out of hand. I just worry about anything that involves Gaba....don't hesitate to email me if you care too....Good Luck I admire you very much

Regards,

JoAnna732

Archived