Chronic hacking Cough--Rebound Anxiety Symptom?

[ju...]

Hi all--

In a more  comfortable living situation now (w/ an ex of 12 years, a friend who has graciously allowed me to stay with him after being "asked to leave", which means " kicked out of, for being up all night, the Salvation Army after 10 hellish months), and down to 0.25 mgs. clonazepam and 200 mgs trazodone. Have had this awful hacking sleep-disturbing chronic cough for about four months. It subsided fir a couple of days after the move, then kicked right back in with its customary vengeance. I now fear trying to go to sleep, as i know that I will be awake, hacking away as though I had croup or something.

Silent GERD has been suggested. Tried raising the head of my pallet--didn't work. antacids--didn't help.My lungs are clear, according to the po-ppl clinics at which I've been seen. I can consume half a bottle of OTC dextromethorphan so-called cough suppressant syrup, but to no end.  I know I must sleep a little bit here and there, but it sure doesn't feel like it.

Twice I fell asleep while reading, but had to use the bathroom, and could not go back to sleep. And the coughing commenced.

Could this be a nervous cough from down under? anyone have any experience with this, and how do you deal with it if you do?

Thanks for reading,

jd :(

I have had a cough since the begining of my Temazepam taper never been troubled with my chest before.  Its like i have got asthma and sometimes i wheeze the doctor says my chest is clear.  It does keep me awake a lot and i seem to cough in my sleep too. :thumbsup:

Hello jd,

I have a cough as well. I've had it for many months now. I am continuing my taper from Klonopin too. I have found that this is due to dry mouth. I am able to get the cough to stop by his using a dry mouth lozenge. I found out about these through my dentist. It may be worth trying to find dry mouth lozenges or over-the-counter Biotene mouthwash. I get up in the middle of the night every night and use the mouthwash to help moisten my mouth. It helps me go back to sleep.

Summer

Archived