Temazepam Trap

[il...]

Hello buddies- I could use some help and support making my next step and getting through this difficult process.

33 year old- Male

30mg Temazepam 5 months

1/2/12 Cut to 15mg - under doc supervision - big mistake! Lots of horrible withdrawal symptoms, worst symptom is my inner shaking (never seems to go away), insomnia 3-4 hour of sleep at most and wake with buzzing/vibrating in head and body. Speaking is difficult at times- really shaky and sometimes super foggy.

Read Ashton Manual after shaking started about 5 weeks after first cut. Not sure if these are protracted withdrawals. Cant stop beating myself up for not researching before the first cut. Went to see doc and had to beg for Valium for taper plan. He only perscribed 5mg a day. I'm following Ashton from this point forward but doc will not prescribe enough Valium.

2/15/12 Cut to 7.5mg Temazepam with 12.5 Valium. Super Anxiety, lots of tremors and cant sit still for two seconds, is the Valium helping or hurting? Is it worth becoming addicted again?

I'll be patient and suffer thru the symptoms and follow taper plan but I'm afraid it's too late - really nervous the inner shaking is permanent. Anybody experienced the same thing with the inner shaking/vibrating and eventually having it resolve?

Any suggestions on how I should proceed?

I look forward to contributing to this forum and making friends that have shared similar experiences. This is the first time I've expressed my feelings in some time- It feels good to write this post

JF

Hello ilovegolf,

Welcome aboard.  Make yourself at home, and check out the various forums.  We will try to answer your questions, and help you all we can.

Here is a link to the Ashton manual.  It is very informative regarding all aspects dealing with benzos.  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/

the best to you

pj

Hi ilovegolf, welcome to BenzoBuddies

I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this, I know how bad it can be. I had inner vibrations too, they subsided after awhile. It's important to have your doctor on board with you on this, he'll need to prescribe what's necessary to get you through. The crossover to Valium might be a little shy of what's needed for a smooth crossover but many feel symptoms just changing drugs anyway. Have you thought to copy Ashton's manual and give it to your doctor?

You're not alone, please make yourself at home.

Star

Hi Ilovegolf,

I jumped off Temazepam 20mg three months ago and im doing well. I started tapering off in April last year and its taken me 8 months. I was on Temazepam for twenty five years for sleeping.

I was on my own in the begining so i cut my tablets up and took quarters out each month then when i got down to a quarter i found TRAPS.  They helped me to taper off the quarter tablet by putting it in wholemilk. I did'nt crossover onto anything else just took it really slow. There were some withdrawal symptons but towards the end they became less.

My sleeping pattern was bad at first i used to get about 3 hours but now its good most nights. I cant believe that i sleep on my own without drugs never thought that would happen.

They will sort you out a taper plan on here if you want them to. I hope you feel a lot better soon. :thumbsup:

Welcome. I have been on 30 mg of Temazepam for 20 plus years and I am doing a liquid titration method very slowly, I think you did decrease too fast but I do not have enough experience to adivise you as to whether you need to go back up or how the valium crossover works, my Dr would not consider giving me Valium ,  the method I am using is a  very simple and slow taper, I open up the capsule and put the powder into 100 ml of water, I started with a 10 ml reduction from the 100 ml and drank the rest, I am now down to taking out 16 mls since feb 5th, you could also take out 1ml a day which would take you 100 days. I am having insomnia, cog fog, blurry eyes, heavy achy arms and legs, and sometimes trouble getting a good deep breath which is how anxiety manifests itself in me. If you use the search engine and put in temazepam you can read others experiences with this benzo, all  the best on your journey, you are not alone. Ladygrace

Hi ilovegolf,

As you can see from my signature, I'm new to all of this, too.  The Temazepam titration taper didn't work for me because of overwhelming interdose withdrawal symptoms, I was a wreck.  So far, the Ashton Valium taper has been my life saver.  I have had issues with the Valium being a bit over sedating so I reduced it by 2.5mg, immediately.  I have felt really good the past two days and especially since I've dropped the Temazepam.  The short acting Temazepam benzo was the Devil, to me.  I'm not concerned about becoming addicted to Valium because I plan on strictly following the taper plan.  I want off of this stuff, ASAP.  When I went to my doctor, I arrived armed with info to back up the taper plan.  I took excerpts from the Ashton Manual and from other websites, too.  Luckily, he agreed and started me off with 90  5mg Valium with 1 refill pus another script for 120 2mg Valium.  I'll return to his office when I exhaust those.  Maybe you could consult another doctor that would be more receptive.  Welcome aboard.....I certainly hope your situation improves. 

Taz

Thanks for the reply...

You did it right. I fought thru the withdrawals of my first cut. I didnt go armed, I would do anything to go back in time just a few weeks.

Have you met any other Temazepam user that have recovered once they started the inner shaking and severe tremors. Looking for a little hope

Hi ilovegolf,

Here's my intro story that they may help you see where I'm coming from. http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=48508.0 If you want copies of what I presented to my doctor I will be glad to share those.  I understand your tremors & shaking....I was experiencing that when I hit my doctors office...that's one of the reasons....I'm sure is why he was so willing to listen to me.  I think I've been helped by certain vitamin supplements, too.  First, as recommended on this board by many, I stopped taking the B complex vitamins.  I now feel I've been helped by limiting my supplements to 1,000mg Vitamin C, twice daily, 400mg Vitamin E once daily, 500 mg Choline & Inositol in the morning and after lunch, I mix 3mg of Inositol power in water or decaf tea and drink. I'll probably increase the Inositol powder as times passes.  I think this is one you need to build up to.  Here's a link from the board that discusses the Inositol http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=45486.0  My chiropractor insisted I add the balanced Choline & Inositol caps. The Inositol really does seem to have a calming effect for me.  I've just ordered the "Lion's Mane" supplement after reading this thread http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?topic=47066.msg658566#msg658566.  As you can probably tell, I'm willing to try just about anything to get me through this.  :)  Good Luck!!!

Taz

Your keeping my spirits up. That alone is calming.

I have shakes, tremors and inner vibrations. The inner vibrations are nonstop-the worst. Have you come across any stories of people with inner vibration's who have recovered? Ashton manual lists inner vibrations as a possible symptom that could be permanent.

Insomnia is bad, but I use it as positive. I get tons of work done before 5am!  :)

Im so thin, never hungry and supe thirsty! I'm at a convention and every one is telling me how thin I am. I kep telling them I've been swimmng everyday since a foot injury.

I wish I could give you words of encouragement but I feel like your so much more in control and positive.

A little bit about me- I run sales for a large company.

I'm in a high stress job and meetings are becoming impossible. I can hardly concentrate because of the mistakes I've made, hard to focus on a P&L statement when my body is vibrating on the inside. Reaching for a glass of water during a meeting is impossible.

Your supps seems interesting! I'll do my research and try them out. Thank you :)

JF

ilovegolf,

Over the past couple of months I've read tons of case histories concerning benzo withdrawals including case histories from the hospital I'm currently employed. The doctors at our "pain management clinic" & "substance abuse clinic" were very accommodating and supportive.  They readily agreed with the slow Valium taper and allowed me to study many of their case histories.  Of course, because of medical confidentially laws I could not make copies of those to take to my own personal doc.

From what I learned, the cases of individuals with short term Temazepam use had very successful outcomes using the slow Valium tapers and in most cases with complete subsidence of all withdrawal symptoms.  From what you have disclosed....it appears to me one o your biggest issues is you have failed to stabilize before you began tapering. I understand your limited supply of Valium.

Now, this is what I did and it was my own doing and I'm not saying it was right but it worked for me.  The day I went to my doc, I was in terrible shape....similar to what you have described.  I knew from my research I needed to stabilize before I began tapering.  As soon as I filled the first script, I took 5mg Valium, around 1pm and took 30mg Temazepam, that night and did the same the next day.  The third day I began the Ashton taper.  All the tremors & other symptoms had subsided by that time.  So far, I'm still doing well and sleeping very well....sometimes a little groggy in the morning but I'm managing, OK.

Is there any chance of consulting another doctor?  And, please, please don't allow any doc to try and switch you over to Klonopin, Ativan or Xanax.  From my research....without a doubt....those are much tougher to taper from as I'm sure you've read on this board. ilovegolf, I do believe there is hope....withdrawing from Temazepam seems to be much easier than many of the other benzo.  Don't give up....I'm sure healing is in your future....you just need a doc that will agree to the slow Valium taper. 

Taz           

Hi Taz,

Do you think I should go back up to 30mg and start the taper from the top? I get the feeling that I've already done the damage?

JF

Archived