from 1.25 mgs of ativan to valium equivelant how do I do the cross over?

[Ru...]

I have decided I can no longer continue to taper ativan anymore I am almost positive the ativan has gone paradoxical on me since as I continue to take my daily dose I just get more and more anxious , worse memory impairment etc all sx get worse thru the day not better as I take more. So now I have decided to cross over to valium. How can I slowly cross from 1.25 mgs ativan to 12.5 mgs valium how can I do this over about 4 weeks? I take .5 mgs ativan in the morning, .375 mgs at noon and .375 mgs in the evening how do I convert these doses to valium and slowly sub one for the other?

I have decided I can no longer continue to taper ativan anymore I am almost positive the ativan has gone paradoxical on me since as I continue to take my daily dose I just get more and more anxious , worse memory impairment etc all sx get worse thru the day not better as I take more. So now I have decided to cross over to valium. How can I slowly cross from 1.25 mgs ativan to 12.5 mgs valium how can I do this over about 4 weeks? I take .5 mgs ativan in the morning, .375 mgs at noon and .375 mgs in the evening how do I convert these doses to valium and slowly sub one for the other?

Hi Ruby, you have come a long way from 3mg/day Ativan. Congratualtions! It is good to talk again....I don't think we have since this summer. Here is the link to the location in the Ashton Manual where she shows how to cross over from 3mg/day Ativan to 30mgs/day valium....you can probably follow that as a guide and proportion your values accordingly.  http://www.benzo.org.uk/manual/bzsched.htm  See Schedule 8.

Your 3 daily Ativan doses are not even, which is fine....I assume that the morning symptoms are stronger so you proportion that dose a little heavier. You will notice that eventually Ashton switches from 3 doses/day to just two. That is because valium has a much longer half-life and it is much smoother...you will not have those interdose wd that I suspect you get with Ativan....especially since you are dosing less that 4X/day.

Once you have been taking some valium for a few days you probably will not have to worry about fractions beyond two decimals or less that 0.25. Just try to make sure that your daily total is about right. After a week or so on some fraction of valium you will also find that you to not have to always dose exactly on time.

I assume you have the 0.5 Ativan tablets and that you are dry cutting?.....I am going to assume that you can get the 2mg Valium tabs...and the 5mg valium tabs and the liquid Valium.

I am going to try and map this so you don't have to cut a 0.5mg ATivan smaller than in half. And you do not have to cut a 2mg Valium smaller than a quarter (only cut one of these at a time and use all of the pieces in a 24 hour period and it will not matter if the pieces are not perfect quarters).

So you could start phase I (1-2 weeks) with: Morning-0.5mg Ativan; noon- .25 Ativan+1.25 Valium; and evening;0.25 Ativan + 1.25 Valium.  You can use the liquid Valium to make up fractions and use them with half of a 2mg Valium tab if you want....instead of cutting a 2mg tablet in quarters.

I hope this helps....Don't hesitate to PM me. I crossed in about 2 weeks but I was not symptom free so I am not recommending it. 

When I crossed I instantly went from 4 doses/day of Ativan to 2 doses/day of Ativan and Valium.....and my symptoms were more mild than when I was on straight Ativan. God bless.

1mg ativan equal to 10 mg valium. Valium  comes in the folliwing strenghts 10 mg,5mg 2mg tablets once you get down to liwer doses  because of long half life you can dose once a day  re: Dr. Heather ashton

Archived