Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Average PAWS duration

[Sh...]

I am seeing a good bit of success stories saying it too than 10+ years. I thought for the large majority it was between 1-2 years. Is this accurate? 

[PE...]

Yes it seems like many get better about that time.

I'm 8 months out and are better than most. So it's not cut in stone.

[Ye...]

Hello, 15 months ago I stopped taking Klonopin suddenly and I have exorbitant anxiety without being able to leave the house.

Hello friend Ruben, I haven't forgotten you! 👋🏼

Edited by [Ye...]

[PE...]
20 minutes ago, [[Y...] said:

Hello, 15 months ago I stopped taking Klonopin suddenly and I have exorbitant anxiety without being able to leave the house.

Hello friend Ruben, I haven't forgotten you! 👋🏼

Oh that's tough. I left my home around 4 times last year. Didn't even know there was such a thing as housebound. 

It got better.

[Co...]
1 hour ago, [[m...] said:

I am 6 years post Ativan. Suffering badly atm. 

Hello @[ma...]. Welcome to BenzoBuddies.

I am sorry to hear that you have been suffering for such a long time. You might consider joining the Long Haulers group.

Main menu => Browse => Groups.

• Like 1

[Bu...]

Hi @[Sh...],

I think that 1-2 years is fairly accurate for most people.  And keep in mind that even if there are issues beyond that time frame, it doesn't necessarily mean that that person has been absolutely miserable the entire time. 

I also think people have different definitions of what it means to be healed.  For some people, it means that they are exactly the same as they were before they ever took a benzo.  For other people it means that even though they may have to make some changes and watch a few triggers, if they do those things, they feel well.

That said, something I have learned during this process is to try to take things a day at a time.  I sort of keep a hopeful eye on the average time frame, but try not to get too caught up in it, as we are all so different.  I know that healing is happening for me and it is for you too.

• Like 2

[Cr...]
4 hours ago, [[S...] said:

I am seeing a good bit of success stories saying it too than 10+ years. I thought for the large majority it was between 1-2 years. Is this accurate? 

Many people will not write a success story until they believe they are 100% recovered even if they are down to 1 minor symptom like mild tinnitus or occasional days of feeling "off". So it may be the case that the bulk of their symptoms (99%) are gone between the 1 to 2 year mark.

Other possibilities include people could be attributing symptoms from  an unknown unrelated issue as a continuation of withdrawal (this is not to deny protracted withdrawal exists).

A good portion of benzo users never even find/use a site like this when they withdrawal and thus won't have their success story seen. There are many Facebook benzo groups.

Of the people that do find this sitr and recover, many only use it to learn about withdrawal/tapering and then never come back. Others stick around until they are healed and lose the need/interest for the site and leave without writing a success story.

The ones that stick around the longest could be more likely to write a success story when recovered, and who sticks around the longest but the ones suffering the longest.

Even with the skewed Success Story writer demographic there are still tons of success stories within the 6 to 24 month timeline.

Have you actually done a recovery timeline tally on all the success stories or are you basing your assumption on the ones you have read so far?

[ma...]

t I am 27 months old and my only symptom continues to be insomnia and a lot of sensitivity to stress which translates into more insomnia. On some sporadic nights I have managed to sleep three hours straight.Normally I sleep for just two hours, wake up and two more hours. Sometimes another two hours.And even nights of zero hours. Especially for some stressful reason.

[ma...]
10 hours ago, [[m...] said:

Tengo 6 años después de Ativan. Sufriendo mucho en el cajero automático. 

Hello Matias, welcome, what symptoms do you still have? They have certainly destroyed our lives.

[De...]
7 hours ago, [[C...] said:

Many people will not write a success story until they believe they are 100% recovered even if they are down to 1 minor symptom like mild tinnitus or occasional days of feeling "off". So it may be the case that the bulk of their symptoms (99%) are gone between the 1 to 2 year mark.

I am here in 5 month off clonosepan And have I think two remaining simptoms. First is strange feeling in left hand like tingling. And other one from time to time, is dificult to explan, something with troat like its dificult to breath sometimes. Its just sinptom, its not strong, very mild. I am fully functional now And I can focus on my life And enjoy it. I still don’t write my story because I want to be sure this is over. 
while i was very bad I couldnt even singh up for this forum, I was  just reading all stories And they really gave me hope so I Said to myself I really have to put mine there so Maybe it will give hope to someone one day. But with this two ocasional simptoms that pop up I feel like its not fair to write sucsess story while i still have them. So I understand now why there is not so many stories. But that doesnt mean people didnt recover. They did! And they live their life to the fulest now!!!