Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Benzo belly constipation and food ramping up symptoms

[Bi...]

Hi
I've realised food ramps up symptoms badly. I'm constipated and stomach feels bloated. As long as I eat extremely lightly im ok for about three days with few symptoms but I cannot go to the toilet. So third or fourth day symptoms ramp terribly. I'm now terrified of eating but I'm so weak and already slim.

My symptoms go from mild to severe if I eat too much and can't pass stools. I have new symptoms such as nightmares, being woke with a bounding heart and shaking legs, shivering etc
Please anyone any tips??
I'm 17.5 months in from my CT and I'm not sure how much more I can take 

I just want my life back😭😭

32 minutes ago, [[B...] said:

Hi
I've realised food ramps up symptoms badly. I'm constipated and stomach feels bloated. As long as I eat extremely lightly im ok for about three days with few symptoms but I cannot go to the toilet. So third or fourth day symptoms ramp terribly. I'm now terrified of eating but I'm so weak and already slim.

My symptoms go from mild to severe if I eat too much and can't pass stools. I have new symptoms such as nightmares, being woke with a bounding heart and shaking legs, shivering etc
Please anyone any tips??

My symptoms ramp up after eating also - I can go from functional to absolutely miserable in a couple hours. I don’t have issues with constipation, but my symptoms do include stomach and gut pain that can persist for hours. I need to be more disciplined and eat better and less, but I find myself overeating when I feel decent  - stupidly forgetting what it does to me! 
Let’s hang in there. Good luck with your recovery. 

• Like 2

[kn...]

The symptoms you’re experiencing closely mirror my own .  I’ ve found relief by eating very small amounts of food frequently during the day. When I fix a meal, it may take a few hours to keep coming back to it until I get it all down. The bathroom problems you’ve described are ever present. I take stool softeners daily as well as a mild laxative. I realize that frequent use of laxatives is discouraged, but the circumstances that we’re living in are desperate enough to warrant it. Trust me, we all just want our lives back. I have had neuropathy in my feet and legs since this whole thing started. At times I use a cane to get around. My head space is up and down by the hour. And I’ve been at this for nearly three years now. I’ sure you’re much younger than I and will have many years to recover. I’ll soon be turning 73 and the best I can hope for is to finish up while I still have some life to live. 

• Like 1

[Ma...]
9 hours ago, [[B...] said:

Hi

Please anyone any tips??

Hi Birdypie,

What your experiencing with those physical/mental symptoms are normal  acute/post withdrawal. Our whole body is out of whack from depending on gaba/relaxants from those pills, now without those pills out of our system, body is going crazy. In time your fast heart rate, tight/shaking muscles, high anxiety will be less. Hanging in there its only temporary. Do your best to find things to make yourself stay calm, comfortable, take alot of breaks & rest. 

Edited by [Ma...]
  • Like 2

[or...]

@[Bi...] I find that magnesium citrate gummies (buy anywhere . . . Amazon, Walmart) are great to ward off constipation. About 100 mgs a day will keep you nice and regular. I take one every night as I have a tendency to get "stopped up". If you are in a bad way, maybe take three and get "cleaned out".  Also drink lots of water. Hope this helps,

Katz

• Like 1

[Bi...]

Thank you so much for all of your replies so far 

I appreciate you all. ❤️

[Ma...]

Drinking Apple Cider-not juice-can really help with constipation.

Eating small meals of fruit, leafy greens (spinach), steel cut oatmeal…every 3 hours will keep sugar levels up and not overwhelm your gut.

A probiotic like Smidge Sensitive in very small quantities is also helpful for some.

• Like 1

I've been on Alprazolam 1.5 MG for 9 years. I've put off tapering for various reasons. Mom dying, the pandemic and now it's time to start. I get stressed out and bloat after eating. It's going to be day to day. Good luck to everybody going through what they're going through.