Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Too sick on the medication and too sick to come off

[An...]

I feel sick all the time, even pre taper. Is this tolerance ? If we are in tolerance do we heal only once the medication is completely out of system 

[be...]

yes. it is. you have to wait until your GABA receptors recover. it is called a withdrawal period

[An...]
6 minutes ago, [[b...] said:

yes. it is. you have to wait until your GABA receptors recover. it is called a withdrawal period

Hey yes withdrawal period but I was sick before I started the taper: is that tolerance ? 

[be...]
Just now, [[A...] said:

Hey yes withdrawal period but I was sick before I started the taper: is that tolerance ? 

yes. i think so

[pi...]

@[An...], I probably felt ok on benzos for about a New York minute. I reached tolerance quickly after being given Ativan for a supposed middle ear issue. Doctors didn’t or couldn’t see this happening so I was given clonazepam. The doctor at least recognized that I was having inter dose, tolerance withdrawal, but his solution was to take another dose midday. I knew this was wrong and the drug was a making me sick.

Long story short, after countless trips to doctors, ER’s and other practitioners I knew I had to get off the drug. I never felt well during the taper, there were a few quite bad days after a cut and then a slight easing of symptoms.

My taper was rough. I didn’t find BB until I jumped off. My doctor and I had little understanding about benzos or withdrawal. Use the good resources here for information about a slow and sensible taper. It can be done. Even though mine was not textbook, I did it and didn’t look back, I just looked forward to healing you can do this!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

[En...]
3 hours ago, [[A...] said:

I feel sick all the time, even pre taper. Is this tolerance ? If we are in tolerance do we heal only once the medication is completely out of system 

I felt horrible pre taper. As I tapered down in dose I started to feel better as my brain was healing. I am more functional now and my withdrawals are easier to manage. I did lots of reading about benzo withdrawal and educated myself. I learned some coping techniques and feel a sense of accomplishment in how far I have come. 

You will feel better too as you advance in your taper. Keep looking forward. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

[Rh...]

I never felt good on my benzo and my taper was pretty rough. I don’t think I was in tolerance, which I do think you’re experiencing, but it sucked nonetheless.  

I did start to feel better as I got lower but I also was put on an antidepressant to “help” my benzo withdrawal, which I do not suggest you do as it only added more symptoms, another few years of a new taper and longer suffering.

Many people have to taper off their benzo while in tolerance WD and it’s not fun, but can be done and the light at the end of the tunnel is so bright and well worth fighting for!

Edited by [Rh...]
Spelling
  • Like 2
  • Love 1