Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Personality changes while on benzo

[De...]

I was talking about this with my doctor yesterday. I didnt noticed it while I was on clonasepan (2 And half years) but other people did noticed change in me. I read a lot of post that other people had same problem. I was very negative person, without emotions, I had same strange reaction to normal situation. Broke some friendships And had many family problems. Ended up 7 years long relationship with man I still love today! Loss of inhibiions. Not sure how to name it. 
how to cope with all this after coming off benzos? How to cope with the decidions Made then that still have consequences on life that we live now. 
Please do move this subject if its not in the right place :)  

[pi...]

Hello @[De...],

I believe most would concur with me when I say none of us are ourselves while on benzos or during withdrawal. I also lost some friendships, however, I came to see these weren’t deep long lasting friendships. I was able to reconnect with those I avoided once I was starting to recover. We seemed to pick up like nothing happened, that’s a true friendship. 

Additionally, emotions can be all over map from overreacting to blunting. Once the cns starts to recover, normal human emotions do return. It was such a joy to me to find humor and fun doing things I missed during withdrawal and recovery. I also had a finer appreciation for the beauty in nature. 

My suggestions are to move forward, rather than looking back. Forge a new future and if you wish, try to reconnect with people you want to have in your life. Take care of yourself first, then you’ll have the energy and stamina to care for others.

• Like 3

[De...]

Thank you so much for your kind words! I was thinking a lot about all this. My ex find hard to understand it. He Said i cant blame everything on meds. From another side some members of family did understand that And we reconected And i find Big suport in them now! Actually its written in report from my new doctor that meds did harm me And that terible state i was is med induced. 
i am trying to get my life back. You are so right I have to turn in front And look at the future not past. But some days Its hard not to think about how my life would be diferent now if I didnt take it when prescribed. 

[En...]
5 hours ago, [[D...] said:

I was talking about this with my doctor yesterday. I didnt noticed it while I was on clonasepan (2 And half years) but other people did noticed change in me. I read a lot of post that other people had same problem. I was very negative person, without emotions, I had same strange reaction to normal situation. Broke some friendships And had many family problems. Ended up 7 years long relationship with man I still love today! Loss of inhibiions. Not sure how to name it. 
how to cope with all this after coming off benzos? How to cope with the decidions Made then that still have consequences on life that we live now. 
Please do move this subject if its not in the right place :)  

This is emotional blunting. I get this as well. I have no motivation and my feelings are not there like before. This is why we end up having relationship problems during withdrawal. I believe we can mend these relationships when we are healed. 

I noticed a change in myself when I was in the thick of it. My son would come over for a visit and I couldn't engage in a conversation with him. He would talk to my wife and didnt say much to me because I was out of it. I felt so horrible for not being able to connect with him like I used to. I had to force myself to message him every day just to keep some connection. I used to visit him a lot and for the past 8 months I haven't been able to even drive. I've been at home recovering more than anything else and it is depressing. 

I look forward to my future of being normal again and have my life back. It is the only thing that keeps me going. I believe we will mend these relationships when we are healed. I know I have lots of relationships I will need to mend. 

• Like 1

[De...]

Like whole life stopped And you have to move on from scratch. It is really scary to live life without emotions 🫣 

i guess What is ment to be it will mend 🫤 this wd is really lonely place to be we have to be really strong to keep up And people who stay in our life durring this hell really deserve all the best! Every person that stay with us during this proces to suport us is  angels gift to us. 
i often think about one person I knew that told me she is addicted to meds And how i didnt really understand her strugle (althou i was taking same meds) because i really didnt believed that there is such a thing like wd if you don’t have a urge to take it.  Would I believe in wd if I didnt experienced this helll? This is What i am thinking every day.