Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Help

[Ch...]

1 hour ago, [[G...] said:

@[An...] This happened with leaving job because of when you were in WD from K?  Was that tolerance withdrawal?

You must have had a rough WD.  You must have been sad leaving your job. This is an awful epidemic.  Too many people are continuing to be harmed.

Did you have numbness in your face or anywhere, and did it go away? 

What kind of WD symptoms did you have?

GM @[Gr...]

By Tolerance w/d, I was not trying to get off the klonopin during this time in my life. I was still taking the drug as prescribed but it basically had stopped working and I was experiencing w/d symptoms. It was horrible. This was the only time in my life I became suicidal. The pain was unreal when I voluntarily entered inpatient detox. Klonopin worked good for over 11 years and I only took .5 mgs during the entire 11 years. I don't recall too much numbness Grace but I had many other horrid SXs like burning skin from head to waist, front and back. I had constant 24/7 chest pressure, tightness, and heart palps.  I felt as tho I was having constant heart attacks and was about to die. I had the air hunger where it felt like I could not get in enough air during inhalation and it felt as if I was constantly suffocating. I had horrible head pains and headaches and I typically do not suffer from headaches. I was weak with no energy. I had no desire to eat food. Anxiety and fear were non-stop 24/7 and constant panic attacks. There were more SXs but those were the worst ones. It simply felt like I was about to die but I did not and the doctors there told me all my vitals did not indicate any medical problems.  You feel like you are dying and the doctors are telling you nothing is seriously wrong with you that they can detect. This is truly maddening.

How are you doing today Grace? I am about to meditate for 20 minutes. I just finished my 20 min morning indoor bike ride.🙋‍♂️

Hi Chantal,

I hope you are doing ok this weekend. I know you are struggling really bad, but you can do this IMO. Did you save the post @[Wi...] wrote to you about how to taper using the scale you purchased?

Once you become sick from these drugs due to tolerance, you have no choice except to try to slowly detox, despite how crummy you might be feeling. Most ppl who feel really good on benzos and not having any issues are not thinking about trying to get off them. These ppl want to stay on them. In fact if I never became tolerant and sick when I was on klonopin, I would have simply stayed on the .5 mgs per day I was taking for life rather than going through the hell you have to go through trying to get off this stuff, even tho I would rather not have to take any Rx medications.

You also have a lot of other stressors going on in your life ATM. Are you sure this is the right time to start your taper?

2 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I have no assistance from my psychiatrist. 

All you need him to really do is keep prescribing you the Klonopin so you can do a safe taper. Is he willing to do that?

I had a good day today @[An...] I did not stay in bed. Are you saying some people don’t hit tolerance ever?  I know I I have a lot of stress nod what are the expert I mean you guys recommend. I can’t ask my psychiatrist. I have not heard from @[Pa...] and did not save @[Wi...] sent. I don’t know how to save. Please advise. 

There are some ppl who never seem to experience tolerance to any significant degree. I have talked to ppl on other boards who have most been on a drug like Valium for a long time at a low dose and they claim it still works and they have never had to increase that dose. One guy told me a new well-meaning doctor wanted him off Valium even tho he was happy on the drug and wanted to stay on it. He became extremely ill, found another doctor who put him back on the 5 mgs and he was fine. These ppl are still addicted but as long as they continue to take the Rx'd dose, they seem to function fine and feel ok. It is just like some people can come off benzos after many years of chronic use and experience little to no w/d. My best friend and co-worker was on 20 mgs of valium for over 2 years. Then one day, he decided he did not need to take it anymore. I told him to be very careful and taper very slowly. I told him about the hell I was going through trying to get off this crap over the years.

Well, he did not take my advice. He was on 20 mgs per day. He stepped down in weekly 5 MG increments. He took 15 for one week. Then 10 for one week, then 5 for one week, then he stop CT and had virtually no w/d SXs. When he told me this at work one day while we were eating lunch, I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it after all the hell I had gone through with these drugs over the years.

My personal opinion tho is that these ppl are in the minority. I think the majority of us who take these drugs long-term will slowly (sometimes quickly) start to become tolerant and made sick at some point.

• Like 1

What about waiting a little for the tapering due to stressors. I wik talk to my catarac surgeon about it. I am worried about relexant, pain or steroid use. Any thoughts please. 

24 minutes ago, [[C...] said:

What about waiting a little for the tapering due to stressors. I wik talk to my catarac surgeon about it. I am worried about relexant, pain or steroid use. Any thoughts please. 

Have your eye surgeries been scheduled? Don't you have some dental issues going on also?

2 hours ago, [[A...] said:

Hi Chantal,

I hope you are doing ok this weekend. I know you are struggling really bad, but you can do this IMO. Did you save the post @[Wi...] wrote to you about how to taper using the scale you purchased?

Once you become sick from these drugs due to tolerance, you have no choice except to try to slowly detox, despite how crummy you might be feeling. Most ppl who feel really good on benzos and not having any issues are not thinking about trying to get off them. These ppl want to stay on them. In fact if I never became tolerant and sick when I was on klonopin, I would have simply stayed on the .5 mgs per day I was taking for life rather than going through the hell you have to go through trying to get off this stuff, even tho I would rather not have to take any Rx medications.

You also have a lot of other stressors going on in your life ATM. Are you sure this is the right time to start your taper?

@[An...] @[Ch...]

Considering Chantal's current stressors and need to keep working, could she stay on this dose for a while longer and plan the taper at a later time? Maybe by then find a doc to help with going to Valium, if that's what typically helps in many cases? I'm just asking to understand what she can do and how something like this works in general 

1 hour ago, [[A...] said:

Have your eye surgeries been scheduled? Don't you have some dental issues going on also?

@[Ch...] Are your cataracts severe enough they affect your vision bad enough for surgery now? Have you gotten second opinion? Could cataracts be genetic or from something else? Reason I ask is because if K is ruled out and if you hold the taper for now, then K won't make cataracts worse. Does that make sense?

cc @[An...]

Edited by [Gr...]
added cc

7 hours ago, [[C...] said:

It is generally best to hold whenever you are facing an upcoming stressful event, then begin or resume your taper once the event has passed. 

I have not started the taper yet. My doctor will not switch me to Valium. My surgery is necessary my vision is bad. 
I want off this medication so bad. It is consuming my life. I am a slave to a pill. I have my scale and calibrated last night. I have to do this alone knowing with some kind of certainty that I will not be able to work and I have no idea what will happen to me.  I am afraid and petrified of being homeless, sick and alone. I am already a fragile person. I don’t know what to do. I don’t see @[Pa...]responding. Did I do something wrong. 

12 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I need help with the taper. I have my scale. @[Pa...] @[An...] I need guidance. Keep in mind I have to be able to work more important now I need surgery. I have no assistance from my psychiatrist. 

I don’t have experience tapering or  using scales so I need to rely on members who do to guide you. 

Struggling with benzos makes it very hard to make a decision.  You're torn between starting your taper or holding off on that until you've taken care of your cataract/dental issues.  I agree with @[Wi...] it would be best to wait to start your taper until after you get through the procedures.  Once that is behind you, you can start planning your taper with the help you find here.

On 22/10/2023 at 02:59, [[A...] said:

There are some ppl who never seem to experience tolerance to any significant degree. I have talked to ppl on other boards who have most been on a drug like Valium for a long time at a low dose and they claim it still works and they have never had to increase that dose. One guy told me a new well-meaning doctor wanted him off Valium even tho he was happy on the drug and wanted to stay on it. He became extremely ill, found another doctor who put him back on the 5 mgs and he was fine. These ppl are still addicted but as long as they continue to take the Rx'd dose, they seem to function fine and feel ok. It is just like some people can come off benzos after many years of chronic use and experience little to no w/d. My best friend and co-worker was on 20 mgs of valium for over 2 years. Then one day, he decided he did not need to take it anymore. I told him to be very careful and taper very slowly. I told him about the hell I was going through trying to get off this crap over the years.

Well, he did not take my advice. He was on 20 mgs per day. He stepped down in weekly 5 MG increments. He took 15 for one week. Then 10 for one week, then 5 for one week, then he stop CT and had virtually no w/d SXs. When he told me this at work one day while we were eating lunch, I almost fell out of my chair. I could not believe it after all the hell I had gone through with these drugs over the years.

My personal opinion tho is that these ppl are in the minority. I think the majority of us who take these drugs long-term will slowly (sometimes quickly) start to become tolerant and made sick at some point.

I am tolerant of clonazapam now I though I had an illness or something that's why I need to reduce. I've learnt such a lot on this site I'm so grateful 🙏

@[Ch...] Thinking of you. Are you having any windows in the last few days?  How are you feeling?  Are you able to get through your work days?  Please hold tough and feel better. You are a strong person though it seems rough right now for you.

Not well. I have bad thoughts. I need now to find a cosmetic dentist. My front tooth veneer has a cavity. Everything is happening at once. I had to replaced crowns for cavities 4 already now my front teeth. I don’t have the money for that. My cataract consultation coming up. I don’t know if I can keep my job too stressful and my memory is shot. I can’t barely drive. I am struggling immensely and with no support. Please help 

I’m sorry @[Ch...], but we can’t help you with your other problems, we can only help you with your taper, you must seek real world help for everything else.  I know you’re frozen with fear and pain but you’re hurting yourself by your inaction, it’s time to help yourself by reaching out to your family, your friends and your community resources. 

If you’re ready to begin your taper, let us know and we’ll provide instruction and suggestions.

• Like 1

@[Pa...] sorry if I sound like I am complaining. All tide issues are related to ling term use if the benzo. Cataracts at 56 and die to decrease in saliva dental issues are very common. 
Like stated before my family is in Canada. My friend should be here in a week or 2. I think I will start my taper tonight. At 2mg I need to reduce by 0.1mg correct?  I have the scale and file. Let me know if correct way 

@[Ch...], we understand that benzodiazepines have contributed to what you’re dealing with and the drug makes it nearly impossible to face these let alone find solutions for them, this is why I’ve encouraged you to reach out people in your life to help you sort things out.  We want to help but we can only encourage you to seek help in your real life.

I found these posts from @[Wi...], are they helpful?

On 16/10/2023 at 23:40, [[W...] said:

Hi @[Ch...]

My mother just had an operation to relieve the glaucoma related pressure behind her eye a couple of weeks ago without any problem whilst in benzo recovery. She’s also had no issues with her several laser surgeries within the recovery period. 

The instructions that came with your scales will explain how to calibrate the scales. Once calibrated, weigh your 2 tablets together to get a total weight (make sure the scales are set to grams). Once you have your weight, using a calculator, you multiply your total weight by the percentage you want to reduce by. 

Example:

I have a couple of old clonazepam tabs here. They are only 0.5mg each, so the weight will be different to yours, but it will give you an idea of how to calculate.

My two tabs weighed together are a total weight of 0.302, so here’s how you calculate your reduction.

If you want to reduce by 10% you would calculate your reduction as follows…  0.302 x 90% = 0.2718 (drop the 8 or simply round up to 0.272 because your scales wont display the extra digit).

If you want to reduce by 5%, you would calculate as follows… 0.302 x 95% = 0.2869 (drop the 9 or simply round up to 0.287). 

Once you have calculated your total weight, less the reduction, you would carefully shave or file (nail file) one of your tabs until both tablets together weigh 0.271 (10% reduction) or 0.287 (5% reduction) from your original total weight of 0.302

Once you are ready for your next reduction, you would simply use the same method, and depending on whether you are reducing by 10% or 5%, it would look like this… a 10% reduction would be 0.271 x 90% = 0.243 (your new total dose weight) or a 5% reduction would be 0.286 x 95% = 0.271 (new total dose weight). 

If you have any questions or need me to go over this, just let me know. 

On 17/10/2023 at 22:00, [[W...] said:

It’s okay to use your 1mg tabs. It just means that when you are weighing, you’d weigh both together to get your total dose and then once you’ve also calculated your new total dose which is less your reduction, each time you file a little off and have to reweigh to check how close you are getting to your new dose weight, you have to put the full 1mg tab on the scales with the filed tab to keep getting your weight until you have reduced to your new weight, as opposed to just filing and weighing the one 2mg tab. 

4 hours ago, [[C...] said:

I starting taper tonight. I have no support other than my friend. @[Pa...]

Chantal, you have support from all of your online BB friends. If you are ready to begin your taper, just follow the instructions @[Wi...] gave you.

Personally, I would choose to wait until all these other things going on in your life have been resolved.