Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Dependance length question - Withdrawal

[Be...]

Hi,

I know that after 2 - 6 weeks you can get dependent on the benzodiazepines.

I have been 1 year and a little bit more on Xanax and now I am in a Psychiatric ward getting off. They switched to Valium and are tapering down slowly.

My question is: Is the withdrawal difficulties or symptoms the same for someone who was on the drug for 1 year than someone that was on it for example on it in 15 years?

Sorry if this question affects anyone.

Thanks

From what I understand, once you are dependent on say 10mg Valium your GABA receptors are down regulated to compensate for that 10mg. So in that respect the amount of time doesn't matter, as the down regulation has already happened, this accounts for tolerance and the need for people to increase dose.

So in theory withdrawal should be the same once dependent, however it doesn't work like that and everybody's system heals at different speeds.

As for other damage that is caused by this poison I'm unsure, but someone will. And probably correct me 😂

I think time is crucial the longest you take benzos more damage accumulate in your system just my thoughts there is a big difference from one that takes 17 years a benzo and one that take one year i think short term users heal faster

I've seen dependence happen in as little as 10 days, I would consider someone who has used the drug for 2 months to be a short term user, anyone over that time in my opinion is a long term user. 

Having said that I agree with Having a mare, we all heal at different speeds and just don't know who will have a more difficult time. 

Has the hospital given you any indication how much they're reducing your dose by, or how long each hold is, or when you'll be finished?  How are you feeling?

[36...]
In my experience it's not just your usage length, bodily chemistry, and dose that counts. It's also the history of alcohol use and benzo use (kindling). I used to be able to take benzos as needed until I hit the straw that broke the camel's back. Now I'm suffering from cold-turkey withdrawal after only two days of use. So in many ways, perhaps it's better to be a long-term user than an intermittent user (if you're not one of those people who quickly develop tolerance and end up in tolerance withdrawal). I thought I was being smart with my intermittent use, when in fact I was only kindling my CNS.