Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

When will sleep return to normal? And other issues...

[Da...]

Hi all,

Three weeks ago I decided to c/t from xanax and benadryl. I was taking both for sleep and in low doses ~ 75mg per night of benadryl and 12.5 -25mg of xanax, I've had a really hard time getting a full night of sleep since I stopped. I average about 4 to 5 hours. I've also been suffering from severe health anxiety, a rash on my chest that nothing will treat, belly aches, burning skin on chest, muscle aches, night terrors, depression, fatigue, and foul body odors to name a few. Yesterday I was finally able to muster up the energy to clean our house, which was a feat. I do exercise in hopes it will help me sleep better, so far it does not seem to make a difference. In fact, i've noticed that exercise can rev my symptoms so I try to take it slow when I do. I've tried melatonin and it helps a little, but I don't want to be dependent on anything anymore so trying to avoid all drugs/supps. I'm desperate for 8 solid hours. If anyone has any advice or observations about the sleeplessness issue please let me know. Thanks!

Neither of those drugs should be quit cold-turkey. Also you probably mean 1.25 - 2.5 mg of Xanax, which is not low-dose, it's equivalent to 25 mg - 50 mg diazepam. If anything it's a miracle that you sleep at all.

First, welcome!  :)

I agree with pacenik although I'd add that what's done is done and many people make full recoveries after cold turkeying, even with such a level of symptoms (and much worse, if you can believe it?!).

Nobody knows the answer to your question of when will sleep return to normal but I can give some commentary on how sleep is affected by Xanax withdrawal. For many, withdrawing from that amount of Xanax and Benedryl would lead to total insomnia for several days. It could be a lot worse. It's hard to give an estimate without a more detailed history. Actually, it would be difficult even with more information. "Not soon" is probably the short answer. I think it's more likely to be 2 years than 2 months before your sleep is back to normal. It could take longer, although it's a good sign that you're getting 4-5 hours at this stage. Make sure you add alcohol to the avoid list, by the way. It may give short term relief but is very counterproductive to healing.

A little cannabis can help sleep (and everything else, to be honest) a lot without many of the negative consequences that other options present. It's still a trade off but it seems to work very well for the people that do see a benefit and quitting is a walk in the park compared to hard drugs and pharmaceuticals. Definitely do your research before going this route but it is a potential option.

Neither of those drugs should be quit cold-turkey. Also you probably mean 1.25 - 2.5 mg of Xanax, which is not low-dose, it's equivalent to 25 mg - 50 mg diazepam. If anything it's a miracle that you sleep at all.

Hi, thank you for your response. Yes, you're right it is .25mg not 25mg of xanax. I was alternating between half and a whole .25mg pill a night. The benadryl dose I mentioned was accurate though. I took benadryl for a long time - years, much longer than the xanax, which i was only using for horrible pms symptoms but gradually started using more for sleep too until I was using it almost every night for about 2 months. Big mistake.

First, welcome!  :)

I agree with pacenik although I'd add that what's done is done and many people make full recoveries after cold turkeying, even with such a level of symptoms (and much worse, if you can believe it?!).

Nobody knows the answer to your question of when will sleep return to normal but I can give some commentary on how sleep is affected by Xanax withdrawal. For many, withdrawing from that amount of Xanax and Benedryl would lead to total insomnia for several days. It could be a lot worse. It's hard to give an estimate without a more detailed history. Actually, it would be difficult even with more information. "Not soon" is probably the short answer. I think it's more likely to be 2 years than 2 months before your sleep is back to normal. It could take longer, although it's a good sign that you're getting 4-5 hours at this stage. Make sure you add alcohol to the avoid list, by the way. It may give short term relief but is very counterproductive to healing.

A little cannabis can help sleep (and everything else, to be honest) a lot without many of the negative consequences that other options present. It's still a trade off but it seems to work very well for the people that do see a benefit and quitting is a walk in the park compared to hard drugs and pharmaceuticals. Definitely do your research before going this route but it is a potential option.

Hi, thank you for taking the time to write back. I've been so worried about what is going on with me, my brain is telling me that this is more than withdrawal so I'm very paranoid and scared all the time. I hate living like this. I'm definitely avoiding alcohol right now too. I tried a beer the other day and instantly had a bad gut reaction. Anyway, I'm hoping i don't have to wait two years for a solid 8.

When the anxiety creeps in I try to distract myself by cuddling my dogs, reading, and watching sci-fi shows, but ugh, it's hard. My husband is very good to me, but he doesn't understand this sh*t and is frustrated when I need to chill in the bedroom with the lights out just to muster up the courage to run an errand- he has to pick up the slack and it's a lot.. :-\