Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Thinking just occasionally taking zopiclone?

[le...]

Thinking just occasionally maybe once week taking 3.75 zopiclone just to get me though this AD withdrawal hell  ? Most people seem be given another med to help them. Took 1 last night and feel so much better. Wondering if I just tried it would it do lot harm just few weeks. Not intending to do a proper reinstatement. Just need something to keep my sanity sadly supplements have adverse reaction.

Thinking just occasionally maybe once week taking 3.75 zopiclone just to get me though this AD withdrawal hell  ? Most people seem be given another med to help them. Took 1 last night and feel so much better. Wondering if I just tried it would it do lot harm just few weeks. Not intending to do a proper reinstatement. Just need something to keep my sanity sadly supplements have adverse reaction.

Lean I believe you just have to do all you got to do to get through this process. Please follow your heart. At times answers are right there.

How long have you been off benzo?

Jan last year. I know everyone says don't do it, but coming off zop breeze compared to AD and felt normal on it. Had 11 months hell on citalopram with no improvement. Actually felt normal fir about 3 hours this morning when first woke up so seriously considering it.

There are lots of reasons that this is recommended against. One of the reasons is that few people keep up such a pattern of use over the long term. Either they dabble with benzos and stop or their habit slowly escalates over time until what was occasional use starts to look more like frequent use. The risk of this is greater if you've been a regular user in the past. But even assuming you can limit yourself, it's just a way to slow down true healing. If you get rid of zopiclone and stay clear of it, slowly your body remembers what it's like to function without it and eventually it regains full control. If you give it zopiclone occasionally, you give mixed signals about the need to regain control. I worry that if you don't take this opportunity to go the whole way to recover from the damage, you will forever be balancing your condition with medication. This usually comes at significant cost compared to if you can get stable without medication.

I really don't know what to do I can see the sense of what you are saying but feel so miserable. For years I just took them occasionally and had no problem. Benzo counsellor said often people having problems with AD get prescribed benzo short term. After 11 months of hell with the AD just feel I'm getting more crazy by the day and feeling more and more like I don't want to be here. Most people seem been given something else to help them through whereas I got nothing. I totally see the logic of what you are saying but just felt so good to feel normal for few hours this morning and have been coping better so far. Just had such severe reaction to the AD feel need something else to stop me going crazy. Don't know what to do, but I know general opinion is it's not good thing. I had packet of diazapam when my husband nearly died and stopped no problem just really had enough after 20 months.

[7a...]
This kind of irresponsible behaviour by physicians needs to stop. It's OK, even commendable to refuse prescriptions for someone who's never been on a drug, but patients who are already on the drug should never be forced off them, and especially not cold-turkey. And you don't have to be a doctor to know that throwing other drugs at a problem caused by discontinuation of the first one isn't the solution.

They have ruined my life. Think might try reinstating over few weeks while tapering off. Can't take any more of the symptoms from the AD. Reached rock bottom, might not be right thing but just desperate for any sort of relief. I know not recommended but got nothing to loose at moment but understand why most people don't want to do it.

[7a...]
Before doing it, I think it would be wise to first find a prescriber willing to prescribe for however long you need and taper you off at your own pace, rather than forcing things upon you. Because you don't want to risk running out of tablets, or having an anxiety about procuring them.

I've got some at home and got some on line. Did think doing it before and got some from sympathetic GP but he's retired too now. Just so hard knowing what to do just after 20 months can't do this anymore. I'm going to take low dose take it slow

You may well be right but after 20 months waiting fir things to improve and the reverse happening and getting the blackest of thoughts figure haven't go much to loose. But I know it's not recommended.

Taking diazepam because I didn't know that I just had to hold on after antidepressant withdrawal is a mistake that set me back at least a few years and has been financially costly too. I was feeling desperate and like I had nothing to lose... but I did have something to lose. I know because I'm only just starting to get back to being myself. You're a mature adult who used to get by without medication. If you're like me, the ups and downs of normal life will sound like fantasy at the moment. But it's totally possible to get there. I know how hard it is and how pressing the desire for short term relief can be. I know that it makes it difficult to make good decisions. Right now, you're at peak suffering. It's been less than a year since you stopped taking meds regularly and you've had some one offs too. If you hang in there, your suffering will be rewarded because feeling healthy without worrying about being dependent on a pill that can turn on you at any moment, feels absolutely amazing. If you give up now, you'll have been through all the withdrawal nastiness without the benefits of actually getting rid of chemical dependency.

Whatever you do, I hope it works. And I hope you get some relief in the short term... although I hope you find another way to get it, even if the relief isn't as powerful.

Taking diazepam because I didn't know that I just had to hold on after antidepressant withdrawal is a mistake that set me back at least a few years and has been financially costly too. I was feeling desperate and like I had nothing to lose... but I did have something to lose. I know because I'm only just starting to get back to being myself. You're a mature adult who used to get by without medication. If you're like me, the ups and downs of normal life will sound like fantasy at the moment. But it's totally possible to get there. I know how hard it is and how pressing the desire for short term relief can be. I know that it makes it difficult to make good decisions. Right now, you're at peak suffering. It's been less than a year since you stopped taking meds regularly and you've had some one offs too. If you hang in there, your suffering will be rewarded because feeling healthy without worrying about being dependent on a pill that can turn on you at any moment, feels absolutely amazing. If you give up now, you'll have been through all the withdrawal nastiness without the benefits of actually getting rid of chemical dependency.

Whatever you do, I hope it works. And I hope you get some relief in the short term... although I hope you find another way to get it, even if the relief isn't as powerful.

If had been symptoms from zop could of coped, but think unless you have had unrelenting mental symptoms from moment you wake as I have from AD, it's difficult to understand how makes you feel.It's the unrelenting OCD just literally never have any peace of mind it consumes my being 24/7 can't go out, most time don't eat much,in tears much of the time, no interest in anything, turned into this pathetic person I no longer recognise,  Perth has expressed it very well in the past. The adverse reaction to the AD has been indescribable. Think maybe close this thread I do totally  understand why people think it's bad idea and respect their views .

leann,

your signature says you were forced to stop the z drug. Do you think if you were given the choice you would still be on it today? it seems like you are looking at the z drug as your only way for your mind & body to feel better but the truth is the z drug was poison to your brain. Can you understand that? 

You're right that it's impossible to know exactly how another is feeling. I can't imagine me taking another benzo after this but there must be some circumstances under which I would. It's not like I'd die before I took another benzo. It would be so much easier if we knew how long recovery would take to the nearest month. If I told you that this next year is going to be difficult again but after that, your health is going to improve drastically, I think you'd take that and not do anything to risk lengthening the process. It's not the best news because a year more of this type of thing isn't much fun. But it has a definite end and psychologically that makes it easier to keep going. If I tell you that every day you get through is a day closer to a return to good health, you know that must be true but you still don't know how much more of your life this is going to affect.

It probably takes a leap of faith to believe it's going to be worth it. I'm convinced by the many people who testify about how much better it gets. Convinced that if I committed to the med route instead of having a more optimistic vision for my long term future, I was headed for a bleak and limited future. I don't think anybody has the answer for you if you can't find this optimism. If it seems hopeless, maybe it becomes hopeless and taking meds to try and manage things could be the best thing for you. What I know is you won't be suffering with this intensity forever. It's an unusual amount of suffering that is chemical in origin. Whether you balance this problem with more medication or wait to heal naturally, you're not going to be feeling this bad forever. I hope I didn't seem too pushy. You will do what you need to do like we're all doing and sometimes all the options seem to have drawbacks. Luck is what you need more of... it's unlucky when the worst case scenario happens to you more than once on something as big as medication. Good luck is what I wish you.

leann,

your signature says you were forced to stop the z drug. Do you think if you were given the choice you would still be on it today? it seems like you are looking at the z drug as your only way for your mind & body to feel better but the truth is the z drug was poison to your brain. Can you understand that?

I would never have stopped it I was happy and stable on it only took a low dose. Took it for sleep never had any anxiety or depression lived a full and normal life. I know some people have bad experiences on it but was nothing but good for me. It wasn't poison for me personally it was the AD that did the damage. Now  have OCD, anxiety, depression , not eating, lot time don't want be here. Been like this for 11 months since starting them. I can see that much what Diaz saying makes a lot of sense but been suffering fo 19 months when I have no idea when it will end and feel lot worse than I did a year ago. Will try the zopiclone for few nights at least see what happens then make a decision I know people say it takes time and if I could have some sort life I would persevere but I don't.

You're right that it's impossible to know exactly how another is feeling. I can't imagine me taking another benzo after this but there must be some circumstances under which I would. It's not like I'd die before I took another benzo. It would be so much easier if we knew how long recovery would take to the nearest month. If I told you that this next year is going to be difficult again but after that, your health is going to improve drastically, I think you'd take that and not do anything to risk lengthening the process. It's not the best news because a year more of this type of thing isn't much fun. But it has a definite end and psychologically that makes it easier to keep going. If I tell you that every day you get through is a day closer to a return to good health, you know that must be true but you still don't know how much more of your life this is going to affect.

It probably takes a leap of faith to believe it's going to be worth it. I'm convinced by the many people who testify about how much better it gets. Convinced that if I committed to the med route instead of having a more optimistic vision for my long term future, I was headed for a bleak and limited future. I don't think anybody has the answer for you if you can't find this optimism. If it seems hopeless, maybe it becomes hopeless and taking meds to try and manage things could be the best thing for you. What I know is you won't be suffering with this intensity forever. It's an unusual amount of suffering that is chemical in origin. Whether you balance this problem with more medication or wait to heal naturally, you're not going to be feeling this bad forever. I hope I didn't seem too pushy. You will do what you need to do like we're all doing and sometimes all the options seem to have drawbacks. Luck is what you need more of... it's unlucky when the worst case scenario happens to you more than once on something as big as medication. Good luck is what I wish you.

You aren't being pushy expected people to tell me not to do it. Tried to get some diazapam when stopped as had packet when my husband was ill and stopped it easily but GP refused. If had some idea when would end would persevere but AD withdrawal seems to go on for long time as well. I do get what you are saying but having really dark thoughts just want try break the cycle. See how it goes after few days on them.

We’re all walking a path that is very uncomfortable through no fault of our own. There are a lot of people taking meds like lyrica and gabapentin both have risky profiles yet people take them to offset their symptoms. Some people take ads that can harm some severely, others they help greatly. Some take diazepam to help wds like I do. Some smoke marajuana.  We are all looking for comfort during an incredibly difficult time. What helps some won’t help others. We have to make decisions based on ourselves and try and support each other through it. I read a post yesterday about a man who jumped from 40mg Val and was fine, although he was advised not to. It’s an individual choice, there’s no way of knowing if it will help or harm until you try. I hate zopiclone and what it’s done to me, but that is my experience. Chose what’s best for you Leann and I truly hope it helps you x We all will be here to support u either way

my heart feels your suffering & pain. I hope in a few days you will have the rest you need to see when we are feeling we are healing. stay strong. stay fierce. don't give up on yourself.