Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Need encouragement for setback, please

[Me...]

Hi all, many of you have been responding to my posts earlier. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and kindness. I read your replies all the time at night to help me calm down. I don’t respond as often as I should (coming here triggers me at times), but I wanted you to know how grateful I am for your words.

I’m 5 weeks into a setback caused by supplements (magnesium, Boswellia—both act on GABA) and I’m scared I permanently damaged my brain. My sleep is random and unrefreshing. My brain keeps during with adrenaline when I try to fall asleep. If I panic about it or think about all the things I have to do the next day, I’m up all night sweating and shaking because my system won’t calm down. I feel like my entire body is being electrocuted. I had weird bladder pain yesterday, which is gone now, replaced by worsening shocked feeling (it was getting better, now worse again). Racing thoughts, anxiety all day, depression. I have to care for 3 little ones and I’m barely making it. I miss my husband and feeling love and joy. I can’t feel anything but anxiety and hopelessness.

Because this isn’t technically benzo withdrawal (I’ve been through that and thankfully recovered), I’m scared that it’s permanent. Do setbacks from other meds heal as well? Please help, I’m struggling to make it today. I don’t see a purpose in my life anymore.

[69...]
It's by no means permanent. It's just a muscle memory. Glutamate system is much involved in memory formation, and is responsible for setbacks. What is certain is that it will go away. How long it will take to go away is unknown. What you may try for help, perhaps, is ketamine infusion. No guarantee whatsoever it will work.

Hi all, many of you have been responding to my posts earlier. Thank you so much for your thoughtfulness and kindness. I read your replies all the time at night to help me calm down. I don’t respond as often as I should (coming here triggers me at times), but I wanted you to know how grateful I am for your words.

I’m 5 weeks into a setback caused by supplements (magnesium, Boswellia—both act on GABA) and I’m scared I permanently damaged my brain. My sleep is random and unrefreshing. My brain keeps during with adrenaline when I try to fall asleep. If I panic about it or think about all the things I have to do the next day, I’m up all night sweating and shaking because my system won’t calm down. I feel like my entire body is being electrocuted. I had weird bladder pain yesterday, which is gone now, replaced by worsening shocked feeling (it was getting better, now worse again). Racing thoughts, anxiety all day, depression. I have to care for 3 little ones and I’m barely making it. I miss my husband and feeling love and joy. I can’t feel anything but anxiety and hopelessness.

Because this isn’t technically benzo withdrawal (I’ve been through that and thankfully recovered), I’m scared that it’s permanent. Do setbacks from other meds heal as well? Please help, I’m struggling to make it today. I don’t see a purpose in my life anymore.

Just yesterday I was in deep despair. Today I'm feeling different and hopeful for the future. Please hang in there.It gets better. Let the feelings not lie to you. You can always come back for assurance here. We all need to.

Pacenik, thank you. How does glutamate get messed up with non-benzo setbacks? What is happening in the brain to bring back withdrawal symptoms?

Also, what is ketamine? Sorry for all the questions. I feel like the more I understand what’s happening, The more I can picture the healing process taking place.

[69...]

Benzo withdrawal is basically glutaminergic signalling in the body overpowering GABAergic signalling. It can happen whenever there's a disbalance and glutaminergic system is overpowering GABAergic system, you don't actually have to be in withdrawal. It can happen to someone who never used benzos, but has artificially weakend GABAergic system (e.g. by using fluoroquinolone antibiotics) or strengthened glutaminergic system (e.g. by injesting too much folates and MSG). When you are under a lot of stress, and are not sleeping and so on, you are strenghtening glutaminergic signalling, and weakening GABAergic signalling in the body. This can lead to nervous breakdown of someone who has never used benzos, but to those that withdrew it flares up synapses that hold memories of withdrawal.

Ketamine is NDMA antagonist. NDMA receptors are one of glutamate receptors, they are responsible for all the bad symptoms that happen to us, but are also responsible for many good things as well. Bodily response to NDMA receptor activity is U shaped curve, where both left and right sides mean neuronal excitoxicity. Both overactivity and underactivity of NDMA receptors is neurotoxic. NDMA antagonists prevent glutamate from binding to NDMA receptors and thus prevent excitoxicity arising from NDMA overactivity (but taking too much NDMA antagonists could lead to underactivity-induced excitoxicity). There's an NDMA antagonist in a pill, it's called memantine, but it has long duration of action and even longer half-life, which why if it causes side-effects it cannot be easily stopped from working. On the other hand ketamine is an an IV anesthetic, with short half-life, administered by medical professionals in hospital setting. If it causes an adverse reaction it can easily be stopped. So you can google for ketamine clinics in your area and try one infusion, and see if it makes you feel better.

That makes sense. Thank you for explaining about glutamate. I wasn’t taking care of myself before this hit, too, so I think that set the stage for damage to happen.

You mentioned that not enough sleep will throw the glutamate/GABA balance off. My sleep is abysmal lately. Can I still heal while dealing with setback insomnia?

Bexlan, thank you for your kind response.  You give me hope that tomorrow will look & feel different. I’m sorry you’re going through this, too. I’m utterly defeated many days and useless. I’m praying for you and all of us each night.

Yes, I've definitely had a lot of setbacks regarding bp pills. It seems I've been allergic to every one of them, and they've been difficult to get off of. But I have healed throughout. Stay strong, and you'll get through it!

Pacenik is right on track. Glutamate is usually the culprit. Normally GABA and glutamate balance one another and even have enzymes to recycle into the opposite.  These enzymes are diminished in WD, and it takes some time for them to return. Additionally DAO enzymes which handle some forms of histamine are decreased by WD. Histamine rises in WD which can cause food allergies, weird rashes, burning sensations with the bladder, (one cause of ) vertigo, etc. This is why some people get temporary relief with over the counter anti-histamines many times like Benadryl.

Know you got zapped by the two supplements, but read this through before discarding. Taurine, a naturally occurring pseudo-amino acid, reduces glutamate. It is found in common foods like meat and eggs. Comes in powder and capsules, and pretty cheap. The only side effect I know of is that it can drop the blood sugar. (Glutamate affects the insulin cells of the pancreas. When you remove it, that effects the blood sugar.) That is easily counted-balanced by taking it with a snack/meal.

Lots of studies showing positive effects to reduce glutamate as well as numerous neuro-protective actions in things like stroke and Parkinson's. It's good for the heart, reverses diabetic eye issues, and helps longevity.

You have to take it on a routine basis to get the full benefit. One dose is generally 500-1000mg. (Energy drinks have up to 6000mg in one drink.) If having any muscle tremoring, usually notice a difference within 30 minutes. For anxiety, insomnia, etc. need more consistent doses to lower the overall levels, but again may experience some calming . *DO NOT TAKE BEFORE BED. Due to ability to lower BS, best to take during waking hours.

I have food sensitivities normally due to thyroid. Acted up horribly with WD. Taurine really helped me. Intense symptoms might do x3/day. As improved, decreased dose depending on symptoms. Post taper on as needed basis. Just another treatment option.

Thank you, Terry! I love that you’ve seen healing each time. I pray you’re fully healed soon.

Hohhot, I had no idea about the taurine—thank you! I searched this site for “taurine” and saw that some members had issues with it, so I’m a bit apprehensive. I may try to add it in though foods high in taurine? Do you think that may help?

Any adverse reaction is possible in a given group, but of all the rest, I think taurine tends to have less chance of it since it's normally used by the body in lots of areas. If you query "taurine side effects" many sites report no known side effects. As I wrote before, it can lower blood sugar. Sudden drops in BS will cause adrenalin bursts- might be the reason others had problems.  You can query taurine foods or diets and add any other caveats like vegan to find a good fit.

hohhot, you're absolutely right.  I should expect to see reactions from anything if I search on it.  We're all so different and react to so many random things (the spices on my tilapia dinner surged my symptoms for a few hours).  I'll look into taurine for sure.  Thanks for the tip!  I wouldn't have known about it otherwise.

Please do not get a ketamine infusion..its a narcotic...and also you have to remember taking a SUPPLEMENT gave you waves...getting a ketamine infusion is  not going to sit well with your already frazzled brain. All you can do is wait it out and take your time healing. I am also in a set back from eating food with glutamates and I know that there is nothing I can do but rest and eat well until it passes. Alot of people on this forum want to take anything to make it all stop..but in the end pills and medications are what got us here in the first place. I hope this helps.