Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Did you let insomnia dictate your taper rate?

[b6...]

I’m just curious because I’m not having many W/D symptoms, therefore I know my rate isn’t too fast, but one symptom is brutal insomnia, do I wait until I sleep before the next cut? I feel like that’s iffy because I don’t know how consistent that would be, I feel like I’m just one that’s going to have difficulty sleeping no matter how slow I go, therefore should I just taper based on other symptoms, can anyone chime in, appreciate it, I’ll still do a slow and steady taper but I don’t think I can wait on the sleep to be consistently solid, based on how the last year has gone as context.

♥️

Hi wpwp I don’t wait because my sleep is totally erratic no matter what I do. I keep reducing every 2 weeks. I get zero one night, 5 the next, 3 the next, then 2. It’s all over the place, doesn’t ever seem to even out, so may as well keep going and get off ASAP. Insomnia is pretty much my worst symptom all others are basically gone or very manageable.

[e4...]
If you do not have any other sympoms, you should probably cut. Insomnia is bad, I understand that, originally I took benzos for insomnia. Dr. Stuart Shipko says what works for some people for insomnia is 1000 mg of taurine before sleep. Taurine should have similar effects to benzos, but acts on glycine receptors not GABAA receptors, so it shouldn't interfere with withdrawal. It goes without saying that it shouldn't be used every day, in order not to cause physical dependance on it. If it gets really bad you could try hydroxyzine, they say that 25 mg - 100 mg are doses for sleep, but I've found out that 12.5 mg spaces me out for days, while other people report it does nothing for them at any dose so YMMV. It goes without saying that this too isn't to be taken every day.

I think it depends. If you're waiting for good sleep to return, I think that's too much to expect. If you have total insomnia, then waiting until your sleep improves to something insufficient but more tolerable seems like a good idea.

I think it depends. If you're waiting for good sleep to return, I think that's too much to expect. If you have total insomnia, then waiting until your sleep improves to something insufficient but more tolerable seems like a good idea.

Yes I think we just need to get used to insufficient unfortunately.  :-\ It’s the Pitts.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been having trouble staying asleep too. I fall asleep no problem but then wake up to pee and it feels like I’m just tossing and turning trying to sleep the rest of the night.  I think I will try some help.

Edit: Removed commercial link.

If you want to know why this is happening, it has to do with your down regulated GABA and the lack of balance with Glutamate.  Both are nervous system receptors.  GABA is your body's "brake pedal" or what slows things down and makes you calm and relaxed.  Glutamate is your body's "gas pedal" or what makes you active and alert or even fight or flight.  Normally the two are in a "balancing act" so one doesn't overtake the other.  But when your GABA is temporarily taken off line by one or more Benzos, Glutamate rules the day and night.  That's why you might feel wired all the time, have racing thoughts and are never sleepy.  It takes some time for your body to repair the temporary damage.  No one knows how long that will be.  But your body knows exactly how to repair the damage and put your GABA and Glutamate back into balance.  However, it is a very nonlinear process...UP and DOWN, one step forward, 2 steps back for some time for most.

However, healing cannot begin until you are completely off the Benzos.  I would not expect any sort of rhyme or reason to your sleep until you are completely off and then for some time after you are off.  I only took Benzos for 6 months total with a 6 week break inbetween and was hit with severe insomnia that lasted over 1 year.