Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Hand sanitizer with ethyl alcohol an issue?

[Me...]

I was out of the house today and mindlessly kept using a 70% ethyl alcohol hand sanitizer like I used to before this setback.  Not long after the 3rd time using it, I had a weird wave of cold rush over the left side of my body, complete with goosebumps.  I know weird things come and go for us while healing, but wanted to check to see if y'all think I need to lay off the hand sanitizer?  Has anyone had issues with it flaring symptoms? 

I use hand sanitizer ALL the time and am quite generous with the amount I slather on and have never had a single problem with it.

With that said, every single body is unique and reacts to WD and WD symptom triggers differently...but if I had to guess, I would say that it was most likely a coincidence.

Just remember to pay attention to the next time you use it and report back. I am eager to hear if it happens again, Sugar! In the meantime...BE WELL.

May all beings be free from suffering.

xoxo

Neely

I slather it on generously, too.  I've had no problems, but as always, we are all different. 

Anyone know how to sanitise without using alcohol based products? 

D x

Godsmyhope, was it immediately after using it?  Did it go back to baseline quickly?

Gosh I used so much of it it caused a chemical sensitivity and dystonia. Just sue soap and water it works better and won’t cause any issues. That’s my personal opinion.

• 10 months later...

I'm extremely sensitive to so much right now. I would use vegetable glycerin with a few drops of clove oil in it. Clove is a natural antibacterial antiviral essential oil. Of course I like to do everything as natural as I can. You might even have a problem with clove oil it just depends. We're also different.

LiveLife

I have had reactions to this as well. I no longer use sanitizer and use fragrance free soaps. I carry one with me when I go out and use that when I need to wash my hands as I became so sensitive.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm extremely sensitive to so much right now. I would use vegetable glycerin with a few drops of clove oil in it. Clove is a natural antibacterial antiviral essential oil. Of course I like to do everything as natural as I can. You might even have a problem with clove oil it just depends. We're also different.

LiveLife

Thank you so much for answering! Did you try the usual sanitizer first  - and if so: How was your reaction and for how long did it last?

I have had reactions to this as well. I no longer use sanitizer and use fragrance free soaps. I carry one with me when I go out and use that when I need to wash my hands as I became so sensitive.

Thank you so much for answering! How was your reaction and for how long did it last?

I am very sensitive to hand sanitizer and inhaling alcohol fumes right now.  I have been avoiding hand sanitizer since early 2021 and am very careful around alcohol-based antiseptic wipes. 

I think that this all began for me when I started back to the gym in June 2020 (when things started opening back up a bit).  I would apply hand sanitizer between every set of weights ... so about 20-25 times during that workout session.  It didn't take too many workout sessions to start figuring out that something in the workout session was triggering my symptoms.  But I spent several more months narrowing in on the alcohol/hand sanitizer.  It's also very likely that the exercise was contributing as well.  My symptoms include burning/itching in various body parts but mostly in my lower legs, head pressure, palpitations, anxiety, and depression.

I had significant anxiety when getting my COVID vaccines because of the antiseptic pads that are used when administering a shot.  Now, when I get a shot, I turn my head and hold my breathe as long as I can when they're applying the antiseptic wipe on my arm.

On an 7/31/21 airline flight, a family of four people sat down in the row ahead of me and all started wiping down their tray tables and arm rests.  I could smell the alcohol fumes within a few seconds.  I knew that I was in trouble.  This sent me into an 11 day wave.  As soon as I started coming out of that wave (8/12), I made a trip to the mall and immediately smelled alcohol upon entering.  I suspect that someone had just applied some hand sanitizer from the dispenser near the door.  Again, this triggered a new wave which I am now in day 3.   

Several months ago I checked on BB and couldn't find anyone else having the same experience with alcohol wipes and/or hand sanitizer (I'm not sure how I missed this thread).  I was beginning to think that I was the only one with this sensitivity.  I hope that we get back to a place/time where people aren't using these sanitizing products so much.  I'm wondering if this sensitivity to alcohol will ever go away.

Thank you so much for writing, Texan85! It was your earlier post that made us aware that it could be a problem in the first place! It seems like most of the people here don't have this problem, but it helps to know my husband is not alone! Thank you!