Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Awake and having hallucination or dreaming?

[be...]

[be...]

For a few months when I sleep i dont know if i am awake.

Its a very very real feeling and I see things or hear stuff. It feels also that I am fully awake and in real world. Last night i was trying to sleep look at the clock on my mobilephone and suddenly all numbers pops out from the screen I now its not flr real. And then the dreams/hallucination started. I was not in my room anymore everything changed. I freaked out said I am awake this is my brain playing tricks with me. And this was going on all night same dream same room and strange mobil clock.

In the morning my husband go to work. I talked to him so i know I was awake then but the dream was stucked in my brain like a memory or a thought i could not let the feeling ho away. I must have fallen back to sleep or that vivid dream state bc I looked at my clock and 3 hours had passed. just said need to go up and right away it was gone the dream.the hallucinations. All was normal. I have like this every night. It feels like my brain is getting atucked in an "intrusive" dream . I also have intrusive racing thoughgts so why would not my so called very toxic dreams be intrusive?

Is anyone having dreams that are intrusive and feel very vivid?

What you're experiencing is "hypnagogia". This is a blanket term for subjective phenomena that can occur during the transition between wakefulness and sleep. Sleep paralysis, false awakenings and lucid dreaming are examples of hypnagogia that many (perhaps even a majority) experience at least on isolated occasions, although many may not realise it. I believe quite strongly that hypnagogia explains why some people are adamant that they have seen a ghost when there's no such thing. If I had a different upbringing and experienced hypnagogia less frequently, I might be counting myself as having had a visitor. It was a very convincing, very impacting hallucination.

Context is key here. You're not going crazy at all. The subconscious is universally a weird and wacky place. Anybody who gets a look finds it weird. We've all had weird dreams, right? That you are getting such a big look... yeah... that's not normal and definitely a part of withdrawal. But it shouldn't worry you either. Your body is trying (and succeeding) in getting to REM sleep quicker. That's why this keeps happening. It won't be like this forever.

edit: It's actually really difficult to describe in any detail. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

[be...]

What you're experiencing is "hypnagogia". This is a blanket term for subjective phenomena that can occur during the transition between wakefulness and sleep. Sleep paralysis, false awakenings and lucid dreaming are examples of hypnagogia that many (perhaps even a majority) experience at least on isolated occasions, although many may not realise it. I believe quite strongly that hypnagogia explains why some people are adamant that they have seen a ghost when there's no such thing. If I had a different upbringing and experienced hypnagogia less frequently, I might be counting myself as having had a visitor. It was a very convincing, very impacting hallucination.

Context is key here. You're not going crazy at all. The subconscious is universally a weird and wacky place. Anybody who gets a look finds it weird. We've all had weird dreams, right? That you are getting such a big look... yeah... that's not normal and definitely a part of withdrawal. But it shouldn't worry you either. Your body is trying (and succeeding) in getting to REM sleep quicker. That's why this keeps happening. It won't be like this forever.

edit: It's actually really difficult to describe in any detail. If you have any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Thank you Diaz. I have had sleep paralysis before benzo. Under a period with a lot of stress i was in divorcing my husband and I had it almost every night that is more scary sleep paralysis.I am 34 months off now and this started i june this year.  It go away right away when I go up. It is often thar i "see" stuff around me like I see it with open eyes colours get really soft and dreamy like fog. I have notice I have this with closed eyes. I can get really scared and see ppl trying to grab me. And then wake up from this dreamy state and see thats not true. When I am fully awake it dissappear.

[be...]

I had to google it. Yes you are so right! Thank you so very much I really needed to figure out what happens to me I have hallucinations I guess only to accept that too. I feel nuts all the time so why not add this with this hypnagogia...🙃😋

I'm glad you get it  :thumbsup:

Honestly, if you kinda roll with it when it happens in a sort of curious way, it doesn't have to be such an ordeal. It's an interesting headspace, just irritating in how it obstructs refreshing sleep. But when you do accept it when it happens and let it wash over you, it starts happening less. It's not all bad though. If you can stay calm, it's possible to see some really interesting imagery and hear some beautiful melodies and otherwise have profound experiences. So when I'm in bed and I start to notice this hypnagogia weirdness, I'm not really confused by it and I become passive and just let my subconscious do its thing and sometimes that would lead to some more discomfort but I knew this was all in the mind and it'd pass. Mostly it's a neutral sort of experience nowadays, when it happens. I don't spend any time thinking about it.

[be...]

I'm glad you get it  :thumbsup:

Honestly, if you kinda roll with it when it happens in a sort of curious way, it doesn't have to be such an ordeal. It's an interesting headspace, just irritating in how it obstructs refreshing sleep. But when you do accept it when it happens and let it wash over you, it starts happening less. It's not all bad though. If you can stay calm, it's possible to see some really interesting imagery and hear some beautiful melodies and otherwise have profound experiences. So when I'm in bed and I start to notice this hypnagogia weirdness, I'm not really confused by it and I become passive and just let my subconscious do its thing and sometimes that would lead to some more discomfort but I knew this was all in the mind and it'd pass. Mostly it's a neutral sort of experience nowadays, when it happens. I don't spend any time thinking about it.

Are you spiritual  :angel:? I am maybe I shall see it as a gift? I see my dead brother in this dreamy foggy state grandmother too. Very very vivid! Some say take it like a gift to explore the other side...Now getting deep here...😊

And Diaz how can you be such a very positive person?. I wish I could be like that, yes some days but most no . I am tired of not getting the last symptoms to subside and the over sensitive CNS to just calm.down. Tell me whats the secret? Do you have w/d symptoms? I saw in your sign you did a taper. My doc ripped my valium off from.20 mg to zero in 6 days. I was on them for 3.5 years. Soon 3 years off, never thought I would make it that long. But I am still here and will be in next 10 years off too, and even 20 years off too if I get that old. I am 51 years old. And life can bw beautiful even when having the devil ask you to dance in hell every day. I do love life even this sick...

It's been about twenty years since I first had hypnagogia and I've had it probably a hundred times or more. It's not a positive thing and I still get uncomfortable and confused sometimes... and it can be disruptive still. I'm not positive, just accepting. I choose to adopt that curious mindset because it makes things easier, not because "yipee, the hallucinations are here again!".

I'm not sure about "spiritual". I think that self-reflection is important and I believe in love as the ultimate force for good. I'm spiritual enough that I can take that angle with the hypnagogic hallucinations. It's a powerful thing what the psyche can do. I choose to believe that these manifestations of subconscious processes are meaningful on some level. I'd rather they just stayed in the background and I got decent rest but if this is going to happen, I'll at least get something out of it. So I think I understand myself a bit better.

[be...]

It's been about twenty years since I first had hypnagogia and I've had it probably a hundred times or more. It's not a positive thing and I still get uncomfortable and confused sometimes... and it can be disruptive still. I'm not positive, just accepting. I choose to adopt that curious mindset because it makes things easier, not because "yipee, the hallucinations are here again!".

I'm not sure about "spiritual". I think that self-reflection is important and I believe in love as the ultimate force for good. I'm spiritual enough that I can take that angle with the hypnagogic hallucinations. It's a powerful thing what the psyche can do. I choose to believe that these manifestations of subconscious processes are meaningful on some level. I'd rather they just stayed in the background and I got decent rest but if this is going to happen, I'll at least get something out of it. So I think I understand myself a bit better.

think I was a little vague. mean in general. have read many of your posts. I get positive vibes from them. yes, acceptance is important. Having acceptance of certain situations or events does not mean that you need to feel that you are happy or like the situation. thanks for the input. slept without this phenomenon last night.

I came across a little short but I didn't mean to. I do try to keep it positive here. Part of it is self-motivation and that's some of why I post here. If I'm helping others understand how to look after themselves (both mentally and physically) then I'm reminding myself to practice the same.

I'm glad you managed to sleep last night without being disturbed by this.