Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Continue taper at a slower rate or hold?

[Pe...]

Hello all,

For about 4 weeks now I am holding my taper at 12mg of Valium coming from 15 mg because of severe WD, being sickening head pressure and depressive and anxious feelings. I probably tapered too fast, doing 1mg/week. The WD was completely managable until I hit 11 mg. Then within a day everything worsened and I upped to 12 mg on advice of my psychiatrist and held until now. My symptoms have lessened somewhat but are not gone. Tomorrow I will see my doc again and don't know what he will come up with. I don't want to raise my dose or take additional meds, but want to continue tapering. Maybe I need more time for symptoms to subside, or should I propose to start tapering again but at a much slower rate, say 0.5 mg/week or 2 weeks? I want to be prepared for my meeting with him and could use some input from those who were in a similar situation or can give me some general advice. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

I'm glad to see you're not interested in raising your dose or adding more medications to your taper.  :thumbsup: 

You've probably been tapering long enough to know that feeling stable enough to continue your taper doesn't mean feeling good, it means you can face the thought of reducing again without going into a panic. 

Many members report they need to slow their tapers the lower they get in dose, it sounds like you'll be falling into that category.  If your Dr is supportive I feel you've come up with some great options, maybe wait another week to reduce again and see what a .5 mg reduction might be like.  Holding longer if you don't feel stable enough is good too, this is your your body, your taper and you should be in charge of directing it.

Weekly cuts with Valium are always asking for trouble. It took me 2-3 weeks before I actually feel the effects of my last cut when my dose was still high enough to create a steady plasma level. When you taper weekly, you end up getting slapped in the face with each cut progressively and it’s horrible.

1mg cuts is also pretty fast. The highest you generally want to go is 10% of your current dose every 14 days but many of us have to go a lot slower than that.

I would hold for a few weeks until you know that you’re out of the half-life danger zone and then do a bi-weekly cut.

Thanx for your input so far! Maybe indeed I'm dealing with the WD of several cuts which were too closely spaced considering the long half-life of Valium. So new WD's start when earlier ones have not yet healed, creating a stacking effect. It might explain the sudden rise, severity and duration of the symptoms. The only logical solution then seems to be to ride it out and hope it will heal with time. Now I will have to convince my doc to go along with this hypothesis.

When I start tapering again it will be at a much slower rate. But first I will try to heal from this costly mistake...  :'(

Drug half-lifes are not an exact measurement.  It is our unique metabolism and many other variables that effect it.  I often suspect that a lot of us ended up here because of the dose stacking and hightened accumulation dosage that we built up internally.

Possibly causing us to be dependant on the crazy high levels of benzodiazepines that our slow breakdown of that particular drug has stuck us with.

I am definitely not a Dr., but it seems as good of a theory as others I've heard.  I know that's what happens when drinking alcohol in the same time period as benzos.  Alcohol metabolizing takes priority over benzos, so Benzos accumulate.  If the dose is high enough and you are shutting down your benzo metabolizing with alcohol for long enough it will become a fatal saturation level. 

Couldn't a very slow/reduced ability to specificaly metabolize benzo type drugs for whatever reason, replicate this situation and leave us severely dependant on much higher amounts than the doses we are prescribed?  Even just another medication, supplement or environmental contamination could conceivably play the same metabolizing blocking role as alcohol.

Thanx for your input so far! Maybe indeed I'm dealing with the WD of several cuts which were too closely spaced considering the long half-life of Valium. So new WD's start when earlier ones have not yet healed, creating a stacking effect. It might explain the sudden rise, severity and duration of the symptoms. The only logical solution then seems to be to ride it out and hope it will heal with time. Now I will have to convince my doc to go along with this hypothesis.

When I start tapering again it will be at a much slower rate. But first I will try to heal from this costly mistake...  :'(

Honestly you might consider switching to a daily liquid micro taper. I wish I would have done that from the start, things would have gone so much more smoothly for me. Compound stacking is effectively eliminated since the withdrawal is steady and consistent rather than cut and hold and the misery is a lot less.

If that's not an option, I definitely believe that you should try every 2 weeks for your cut and hold.

Honestly you might consider switching to a daily liquid micro taper. I wish I would have done that from the start, things would have gone so much more smoothly for me. Compound stacking is effectively eliminated since the withdrawal is steady and consistent rather than cut and hold and the misery is a lot less.

If that's not an option, I definitely believe that you should try every 2 weeks for your cut and hold.

Thanx! I just returned from my doc and at first he suggested to keep me on 12mg V as a permanent dosis. But after some explaining from me that I really want to try and taper further when I'm ready he agreed. I don't think he is willing to start liquid taper now, he is somehow not quite convinced my symptoms are from withdrawal.

Thanx! I just returned from my doc and at first he suggested to keep me on 12mg V as a permanent dosis. But after some explaining from me that I really want to try and taper further when I'm ready he agreed. I don't think he is willing to start liquid taper now, he is somehow not quite convinced my symptoms are from withdrawal.

You don’t need his permission to start a micro taper. I asked my doctor for liquid and she said no so I made my own batch with my pills. The calculator at https://benzo.alwaysdata.net will tell you exactly how to make the batch. For 12mg, you would use either 24mL of vodka, 24mL of propylene glycol, or 12mL of everclear and the rest of the 100mL in the calculation would be distilled water. Then you just get some 1mL and 10mL needleless syringes that have 50 or 100 graduations and take the mL that the calculator says.

I copied and pasted my calculation into a spreadsheet and just add the date as I do each dose.

Glad that your doctor is willing to work with you a bit though, whatever you decide that always helps. :)

Hello all,

For about 4 weeks now I am holding my taper at 12mg of Valium coming from 15 mg because of severe WD, being sickening head pressure and depressive and anxious feelings. I probably tapered too fast, doing 1mg/week. The WD was completely managable until I hit 11 mg. Then within a day everything worsened and I upped to 12 mg on advice of my psychiatrist and held until now. My symptoms have lessened somewhat but are not gone. Tomorrow I will see my doc again and don't know what he will come up with. I don't want to raise my dose or take additional meds, but want to continue tapering. Maybe I need more time for symptoms to subside, or should I propose to start tapering again but at a much slower rate, say 0.5 mg/week or 2 weeks? I want to be prepared for my meeting with him and could use some input from those who were in a similar situation or can give me some general advice. Thanks!  :thumbsup:

Pecoro,

Originally, at the start of my taper I went too fast and experienced severe head pressure (as well as other sxs).  If you choose, please refer to my signature as it also reflects holding.  My experience was it took time for a hold to work, but ultimately it did.  I also learned that no matter which benzo I am on, none will allow this guy to maintain a specific dose forever, thus my only choice is to move forward with tapering.

As you can see, I ultimately switched from K and am finishing my taper with V.  My experience is that it is wise to go slow. Your brain/body will dictate the pace which is right for you. 

Hello everybody! Thanx for all the replies and advice you have given me. It is certainly of great help and highly appreciated. I will try to hold for now at 12 V until my head pressure and anxiety subside (which I hope they do) and plan to continue my taper using your input. I wish everybody strength in this difficult time we go through! Keep you posted.  :thumbsup: Greetings Pecoro.