Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does anyone use trazodone for anxiety during taper?

[...]

[19...]
My psychiatrist told me to use 50 mg for sleep as needed. It should be used as rarely as possible. If you take it every day, twice a day, you will just exchange benzos for trazodone.

My psychiatrist told me to use 50 mg for sleep as needed. It should be used as rarely as possible. If you take it every day, twice a day, you will just exchange benzos for trazodone.

It's my understanding that Trazodone is a tetracyclic antidepressant used to treat depression and in lower doses can aid in sleep.  I don't understand the correlation between benzo's and Trazodone you're suggesting.

Trazodone’s active metabolite is mCPP which is used in studies to induce anxiety. It’s okay to use a single dose for sleep but taking it multiple times a day you’re risking getting hit with the mCPP and having a really bad time (ask me how I know about that).

[19...]

I don't understand the correlation between benzo's and Trazodone you're suggesting.

There is no correlation between it and benzos, but like every drug trazodone causes pshysical dependancy. It shouldn't be used for long.

Trazodone’s active metabolite is mCPP which is used in studies to induce anxiety. It’s okay to use a single dose for sleep but taking it multiple times a day you’re risking getting hit with the mCPP and having a really bad time (ask me how I know about that).

This too, mCPP is dysphoric, depressant, and anxiogenic drug.

I used Trazodone for sleep 25mgs or less every night for a year.  It initially helped not only with sleep but helped with withdrawal symptoms and kept me calm during the day, sort of "What me worry" feeling......after taking it for a year it started giving me issues, like bad dreams and a very achy right leg......I did not taper it just stopped and had issues because of that but am okay now....no more pain in my right leg but still having strange dreams.