Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How can I start a taper from 1.0mg Klonopin?

[...]

Hopefully someone who has experience with Klonipin will comment. I am tapering off of Xanax but you can look at my signature below to get an idea. Have you read the Ashton Manual? That is also helpful. There is also a section on this website that helps with tapering. You might want to ask your question there as well and see if someone who has tapered from Klonipin can advise you. My only advice is to go slow and take your time. It's a lot easier in the long run that way. Good luck!

Fas - hi.  I tapered off 1mg Clonazepam. 

I swapped it out for its Valium equivalent - 20mg.  That way, I could decrease much easier by dry cutting the pills with a pill cutter.    I found the cross-over easy to tolerate - the Valium made me drowsy at first - I did it in just a week substituting the morning dose first (.5 C for 10mg V) and then the afternoon dose... same. 

I tapered 3mg of K by breaking pills and reducing once a week or so.

DON'T DO THAT.

get a little jeweler's scale and taper slowly with enough time in between cuts to stabilize and heal a bit.  If I did it over again I would probably have given each cut about 3 weeks depending on size of cut and life circumstances.

If it was me, I would make a post in the titration board asking for a plan to liquid taper - http://www.benzobuddies.org/forum/index.php?board=164.0

Klonopin is one of those benzos that can be pretty hard for people to transition to Valium from and it has a halflife long enough it can be tapered directly but if you want to save yourself a lot of misery, I would micro taper.

I started a 2mg taper 14 days ago. I cut 8% of my dose and will stay here for 21 days before I cut again.

My main goal is to maintain sanity and control over myself and not end up sick in bed or unable to get through a normal day.

If you don't want to end up going crazy, start to decrease your dose slowly for a period of time and once you feel ok cut again.

Do not attempt to be a hero and Cold Turkey. Not only is it dangerous as hell, you will go through unbearable daily suffering needlessly.

Good luck on your new journey. Try to always keep a positive mindset! Most importantly!

Please help.

Fas,

Klonopin is a potent benzo and Dr. Ashton explains very well.  As others have mentioned, you should have that link.

You're certainly welcome to read my signature, but create your plan and do what you feel is best for you.

Breck