Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Looking for encouraging sleep stories

[an...]

I’m convinced that my chronic insomnia is because I’ve been taking Klonapin so long (which, like many people, I was initially prescribed to help with sleep). In fact, one of my biggest motivations for getting off Klonapin is that I believe once I’m off it, my body will re-learn how to sleep.

I came to the insomnia forum hoping I might find encouraging sleep stories but mostly what I see are horror stories, so I stopped reading. I’m wondering if there are folks who have tapered without experiencing severe sleep problems and/or who have regained their ability to sleep after stopping benzos (ideally before many months or years have gone by).

When I’ve tapered in the past, fortunately, my sleep hasn’t gotten worse. After reading some of these threads though, I’m scared it will :-\

I’m convinced that my chronic insomnia is because I’ve been taking Klonapin so long (which, like many people, I was initially prescribed to help with sleep). In fact, one of my biggest motivations for getting off Klonapin is that I believe once I’m off it, my body will re-learn how to sleep.

I came to the insomnia forum hoping I might find encouraging sleep stories but mostly what I see are horror stories, so I stopped reading. I’m wondering if there are folks who have tapered without experiencing severe sleep problems and/or who have regained their ability to sleep after stopping benzos (ideally before many months or years have gone by).

When I’ve tapered in the past, fortunately, my sleep hasn’t gotten worse. After reading some of these threads though, I’m scared it will :-\

There are lots of horror stories on here.

This is a peer based forum, none of us are medically qualified, and while I got back on valium after painlessly and successfully tapering off, with no post withdrawals, the method I used I would recommend.

I got back on valium because although I felt fine I had personal stressors, and started taking the odd short half life low dose z drug, which of course escalated and before I knew it I was addicted to the z drugs so had to come back on valium to taper.

My method is this, don't be put off by how complicated it looks, it very soon becomes second nature.

Rather than reduce in steps, bumpity bump, and waiting to stabilise, I slid off by taking off a tiny liquefied dose daily, and it took less time, no pain after cutting as per the horrors of dry cutting. You don't need liquid klonopin, PLEASE don't use water as the drug doesn't dissolve in water, it does dissolve in homogenised milk, if you are veggie you can get homogenised milk where the cows have had a good life. Full fat 4% milk is essential as we need this amount of fat to dissolve the benzo.

What you will need is

1) Your klonopin or valium if you want to do a gradual crossover, as valium is longer lasting, and 20mg of it = 1mg klonopin. Will your prescriber swap you over to the equivalent in valium? Either way, both klon and val dissolve in homogenised milk, organic or any other form of milk is not suitable as the homogenisation process distributes the fat globules evenly throughout the milk, its the fat that dissolves both klon or val.

2) A big leakproof glass supply jar to pull out your doses. No plastic as plastic leaches into the drug-milk mixture.

3)Small dose jars, depending on how many times a day you want to dose.

4)A large marked syringe to measure your exact amount of milk into the supply jar. Terumo syringes are good.

5)Small marked 10ml and 1ml syringes to take out your daily cuts, again term do good ones.

6)A spiral bound notebook to record date, starting dose, starting cut, and any symptoms you may notice.

Measure out an amount of milk into the supply jar using the big syringe, I find the 50ml ones are good, it need to be measured to be accurate.

Plop in your pill and wait for it to dissolve, various brands take various times to dissolve, activis dissolves quickly.

Once dissolved, with a 10ml syringe measure equal amounts into your dose jars equivalent to your daily dose.

Decide on your "test cut" I divided 5% of my dose by 28 and rounded up the decimals and made that my test cut.

You don't need to toss any of the drug-milk and pollute the environment, you can reduce by taking the drug-milk straight out of the supply jar.

Dosing-drink out of your dose jar, rinse and drink the rinse water until clear to ensure you have drank it all.

It's a good idea to keep all of your syringes in a box in the fridge, the mik lubricates them as they can get stiff. They do need cleaning though, vodka is sterile and ideal for this.

Stay on your test cut for at least 14 days, if you feel good, you can increase the test cut by an amount decided by you, as we are all individuals.

You may well, if the test cut is the right size, actually find yourself feeling better before the 2 weeks is up, if so this is good, test cut is right size and cut-size can be increased.

If you notice symptoms however, immediately reduce the size of your test cut and stay on it at least 14 days, or whatever your lag time is, lag time is the amount of time it takes for symptoms to show.

The cuts will get smaller as the dose gets smaller, but I found it quicker and had no post wd sx.

If any of this is not clear, please don't hesitate to post and I will clarify, it sounds much more complex than it is, it really does become 2nd nature, and the record book is invaluable.

Hope that helps in getting you off the klonopin painlessly and easily and you get back to sleep.

I had severe insomnia after jumping CT.  I had about 70 zero nights or nights of no perceived sleep over 10 months along with lots of 1 or 2 hour nights or less.  Now I sleep 6-7 hours or more every night.  Your body will learn how to sleep again on it's own.  Mine did and so did many others. 

Don't believe all of the horror stories.  Sleep returns for a large percentage of people.

Your sleep will return too.

[a8...]

I had severe insomnia after jumping CT.  I had about 70 zero nights or nights of no perceived sleep over 10 months along with lots of 1 or 2 hour nights or less.  Now I sleep 6-7 hours or more every night.  Your body will learn how to sleep again on it's own.  Mine did and so did many others. 

Don't believe all of the horror stories.  Sleep returns for a large percentage of people.

Your sleep will return too.

This is highly encouraging.