Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How do you guys deal with the 3AM cortisol spikes?

[Et...]

And how long do they last? This started happening to me on the 31st of July and since then, my sleep schedule has been turned upside down. I can’t fall asleep until at least 10AM despite being exhausted, I find myself in physical pain ranging from back to chest to full body aches that sometimes border on putting me into tears (I have never had chronic pain before to this level), and when I do fall asleep it doesn’t matter how long I sleep I find myself tired after I take my Valium at 10:30PM but I am wide awake between 2-4AM every single day and it just keeps repeating.

My taper was pretty tolerable relatively speaking until this started but now I am unsure if I can even finish. I can’t cope with cortisol spikes like this and my blood sugar crashes every single time I have one which just reinforces their persistence and causes me to have to eat an actual meal at 5AM!

I didn’t expect to run into a wall like this. I had stopped my microtaper on the 31st to see if anything improved but it hasn’t and I find myself needing rescue doses frequently which is threatening my taper but when the whole left side of my chest hurts so bad I feel like I am going to break down in tears every time I breathe, what am I supposed to do?!

I decided to just start cutting again last night. I have at least a year left to get from 1.3mg to .5mg and if I’m not going to get better, I might as well just push forward. It’s crazy that 3.5% cuts every 14 days is still letting this crap happen.  >:(

I don’t know what I am going to tell my psychiatrist on Wednesday and I have therapy on Tuesday which is going to be difficult considering I can’t sleep and my appointment is in the afternoon when I usually sleep!

I kept food near the bed.

I mean I have converted one of the closets in my room into a pantry so that’s not an issue but coping with the spikes definitely is. It drives my anxiety up to levels that it doesn’t frequently hit and it hits when I am the weakest, already exhausted, which is just unbearable.

[9d...]

I mean I have converted one of the closets in my room into a pantry so that’s not an issue but coping with the spikes definitely is. It drives my anxiety up to levels that it doesn’t frequently hit and it hits when I am the weakest, already exhausted, which is just unbearable.

To tell you honesty, had I known many of my problems were benzo withdrawal, I would have been a success story by now. I used to think I had diabetes. And some worse things to boot. Take solace in knowing that it is withdrawal.

To tell you honesty, had I known many of my problems were benzo withdrawal, I would have been a success story by now. I used to think I had diabetes. And some worse things to boot. Take solace in knowing that it is withdrawal.

I do take solace in it but that doesn’t help with the actual symptoms. I mean I end up in serious physical pain on top of the mental freak out effects. My hair is starting to rapidly grey and it has been falling out, I can’t work, I can’t listen to music, I can’t play video games, I can’t watch much TV... I live like a prisoner - my bedroom is my cell.

I have paradoxical reactions to everything so I am too scared to even try any of the multiple sleeping pills my doctor has given me (I did try trazodone, which used to work well for me before the taper, and it was a tachycardia nightmare so I won’t do that again). If I could just get sleep, I could overcome this easily but lack of sleep has always been a big issue for my anxiety even before I started tapering.

[9d...]
It's a horror story. I understand. My symptoms weren't as bad as yours. Though after this last humongous setback (caused by amitriptyline which I was supposed to use for sleep, now doc has prescribed trazodone, though I am too afraid to try that), I'm just hoping to mange a month without benzos to get to flumazenil infusions. People on teh interwebz recommend taking something strong from time to time (once a month) like phenibut or an opiate, though I have never tried that.

I never sleep right. Try full spectrum THC or CBD oil. Wont make your sleep perfect but will enable your nerves to relax enough to get the chance to sleep.

Whenever I couldnt sleep I would get up, drive to a Diner and eat something. When I got back home I usually fell asleep.

I never sleep right. Try full spectrum THC or CBD oil. Wont make your sleep perfect but will enable your nerves to relax enough to get the chance to sleep.

Whenever I couldnt sleep I would get up, drive to a Diner and eat something. When I got back home I usually fell asleep.

Yeah I actually have some CBD products coming today. I got a THC-free CBD isolate tincture, full spectrum hemp tincture, and full spectrum hemp capsules. I will try THC free first since I have a history of panic attacks with THC and then if that goes well I’ll start trying the full spectrum and then move to hemp flower. It’s very unlikely I’ll ever move back to regular marijuana strains since even the high CBD ones like Harlequin were anxiety-provoking for me. And it’s also really expensive in CO.

I absolutely have got to get sleep tonight because I have my personal care here at 9AM-11AM and then therapy at 2PM so there’s not much time to nap inbetween. I have a psychiatrist appointment on Wednesday at 1:30 and I am seriously considering asking her for Lyrica. I will see how the conversation goes. It’s possible that after therapy all of this will correct itself anyway. I may have to just start having therapy twice a month instead of once a month. It just always feels like a broken record of me going on about the horrible things happening in withdrawal but regardless I always do better for a bit after therapy.

Sorry for the ramble. The whole not sleeping thing is taking it’s toll. I feel pretty scattered right now.

I only use 2.5mg of 70% Mct THC oil. Each drop is equal to 0.50mg of THC. At these levels I only feel body relaxation. I do not feel "High" at all. Just takes the edge away. It can be used with CBD oil but would suggest to try each one separately for a few days. I know how frustrating lack of sleep is. I have tried everything. Another option is 5mg of Melatonin. As adults get older the body does not produce the amount of Melatonin it did when we were younger. Sleepytime tea works ok as well.

I do take solace in it but that doesn’t help with the actual symptoms. I mean I end up in serious physical pain on top of the mental freak out effects. My hair is starting to rapidly grey and it has been falling out, I can’t work, I can’t listen to music, I can’t play video games, I can’t watch much TV... I live like a prisoner - my bedroom is my cell.

I have paradoxical reactions to everything so I am too scared to even try any of the multiple sleeping pills my doctor has given me (I did try trazodone, which used to work well for me before the taper, and it was a tachycardia nightmare so I won’t do that again). If I could just get sleep, I could overcome this easily but lack of sleep has always been a big issue for my anxiety even before I started tapering.

I get feeling like you are in a prison cell.  I feel like I have been in one for the past 7 years.....it's awful.  I had muscle / aches and burning skin so badly that I went to pain management and had neck surgery.  It's a miserable situation. 

I had the am cortisol spikes as well.....one day midway through the taper that stopped.  Til then I just rode them out.  I took vistaril, propranolol and neurontin at various times during my taper - I suspect these meds had a placebo affect that helped a little too.  I wish I had more advice but I do think your cortisol spikes will even out.  Oh, I also used a THC/CBD blend as well.  The thing that helped most with the cortisol and sleep issues for me has been exercise.  Hope that is some help.

I only use 2.5mg of 70% Mct THC oil. Each drop is equal to 0.50mg of THC. At these levels I only feel body relaxation. I do not feel "High" at all. Just takes the edge away. It can be used with CBD oil but would suggest to try each one separately for a few days. I know how frustrating lack of sleep is. I have tried everything. Another option is 5mg of Melatonin. As adults get older the body does not produce the amount of Melatonin it did when we were younger. Sleepytime tea works ok as well.

It’s going to be a long time before I’m willing to consider THC without a very high CBD ratio just because of my PTSD from cannabis panic attacks.

I did take a very small 12.5mg dose of CBD this evening and it definitely did something. I felt like I was on the verge of falling asleep but then the cortisol hit. For my BMI it’s generally suggested to start with 50mg of CBD but I’m going slow since my system is so sensitive.

Melatonin and I have a history of not liking each other. I used to hallucinate and get dysphoria when I would take it.

My brain really just doesn’t like being messed with. 😔

I get feeling like you are in a prison cell.  I feel like I have been in one for the past 7 years.....it's awful.  I had muscle / aches and burning skin so badly that I went to pain management and had neck surgery.  It's a miserable situation. 

I had the am cortisol spikes as well.....one day midway through the taper that stopped.  Til then I just rode them out.  I took vistaril, propranolol and neurontin at various times during my taper - I suspect these meds had a placebo affect that helped a little too.  I wish I had more advice but I do think your cortisol spikes will even out.  Oh, I also used a THC/CBD blend as well.  The thing that helped most with the cortisol and sleep issues for me has been exercise.  Hope that is some help.

Wow, that’s pretty crazy having surgery!

The cortisol spikes are actually a new problem. I didn’t have them until now which is honestly probably why they’re so hard to deal with. If my dose was still around 10mg like it would have been midway instead of 1.3mg now, I would have had enough Valium in my system to kind of make up for it a bit.

Vistaril and propranolol don’t really do anything positive for me and I have tried neurontin twice and it actually makes my nerve pain worse. Lyrica is something I tolerated well, however, and I am debating bringing it up with my psychiatrist to see if I can use it as a PRN.

I had a pretty rough time with therapy yesterday although I felt better when it was over with but I could tell my therapist was concerned about how I have been feeling. I think she could tell that I have been on the edge of self harm because she asked me but I lied because who wants to risk a trip to the psych ward? :/

I'm sorry you're having such a rough time. I have heard bad things about Lyrica, but then again people say bad things about Gabapentin and that is the only thing that has helped me sleep. The Melatonin helps too, but if you have a reaction to those things that are not going to work for you.

It's difficult to get through all of these symptoms when you're also not sleeping well. I do find that doing the body scan during the day helps calm me down in general. I also take Rescue Remedy throughout the day which also seems to have a calming effect. I also use a homoeopathic product called calms Forte which seems to help.

For me, it's a matter of doing a lot of little things during the day to help me find a place of calmness that helps bring down those anxiety states. I really hope you get some relief, I hope the CBD oil helps, and I hope you can start sleeping well.

I have hives right now and the doctor prescribed Claritin and Benadryl. I slept for 9 hours last night which is unheard of. Not that I'm necessarily recommending those things but it was surprising. I took a child dose of Benadryl.

Well I tried the CBD last night, just 12.5mg, and it had a definite effect. I actually didn’t start to get really anxious again until 7-8 hours later although it wasn’t enough to let me sleep. I am forcing myself to stick to small doses while I acclimate to it and I won’t let myself take more until tonight but so far it looks like a potential great help.

Spoke with the psychiatrist today and she has never used Lyrica before so she told me to try 300mg gabapentin first and if it’s not helping in a month we can revisit the idea. I really didn’t like gabapentin but maybe 100mg was one of those doses that was enough to make me feel weird but not enough to give me any relief. I’ll have to think long and hard about it because I remember it lasting a really long time and I had anxious chest pains most of the time. Kind of leaning towards another “oh yeah, I tried it and it was awful, I didn’t sleep for three days” kind of thing since I know I tolerated Lyrica.

But ideally the CBD gives me enough relief that it’s all unnecessary.

I have had Rescue Remedy and it didn’t do anything positive or negative for me.

Those antihistamines give me tachycardia. :/