Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

What is expected of a slow taper vs cold Turkey.

[Be...]

I have read most posts that the average recovery period is 2 years. Does this include the taper. Or even after a slow smooth taper ,you are doomed to ride it for 2 years.?Any suggestions will be welcome.

I wish I knew the answer to your question.  I figure my timeline for recovery of 14 months after my cold turkey fit right in with the average but I don't know if the average includes tapers, I have a hunch that it doesn't but I'll be interested to see what others have to say.

Every journey is so different, I doubt we'll get a consensus. 

Just my experience . . . tapered for 11 months. Now off one year. I am not 100%, but I am a lot better than when on benzos and when tapering. My main issue after a year is that my sleep is still broken.

Just my experience . . . tapered for 11 months. Now off one year. I am not 100%, but I am a lot better than when on benzos and when tapering. My main issue after a year is that my sleep is still broken.

How were your first 5 months?

The first five months of the taper or the first five months after I got off?

5 months off.Reality hits after you are off.

[18...]

I tapered for a year and had no symptoms. After my taper was over I had no symptoms. I am 2 years benzo free.

In my history, I had a horrible time trying to CT or do 10% cuts.

So my experience says microtaper = no withdrawals, dry cuts = hell. I would guess 90% of microtaperers share my experience.

I'd say microtaper is the best invention of this community.

I tapered for a year and had no symptoms. After my taper was over I had no symptoms. I am 2 years benzo free.

In my history, I had a horrible time trying to CT or do 20% cuts.

So my experience says microtaper = no withdrawals, dry cuts = hell. I would guess 90% of microtaperers share my experience.

Bluewater depending on what you would refer to as microtaper because I tapered from may 2018 to March 2020.But still got hit with symptoms. Yet I only used the drug for like 2 months. I tapered 0.5mg for a whole year plus but still got hit.

[18...]

In my history, I had a horrible time trying to CT or do 20% cuts.

Bluewater depending on what you would refer to as microtaper because I tapered from may 2018 to March 2020.But still got hit with symptoms. Yet I only used the drug for like 2 months. I tapered 0.5mg for a whole year plus but still got hit.

I'm really sorry to hear that! I hope your symptoms are mild.

At some stage you might want to consider tweaking your ADs for relief.

[6f...]

Forced CT from.doctor and took a relapse taper 4 months bc I could not take benzo i was super sick on them too even worse than after CT. I had 20 mg Valium. 9/1 am i 34 months off and not near healed. I have read that the avarage time to heal is 36-60months. But when I was in my early days i was told 12 months then after that 18 months and then 36 months and now soom hit 34 months told 60 months.

Healing starts when you hit zero I think. So if saying 2 years it must be after quit benzo. But slow taper dosent always means no symtoms when done. I know many gets less symptoms when taper but it also means you stay on benzo a long time. Many say i was only on benzo a few months. Thats not true if taper 2 years after 4 months use for example it means 2.4 years on benzo

Forced CT from.doctor and took a relapse taper 4 months bc I could not take benzo i was super sick on them too even worse than after CT. I had 20 mg Valium. 9/1 am i 34 months off and not near healed. I have read that the avarage time to heal is 36-60months. But when I was in my early days i was told 12 months then after that 18 months and then 36 months and now soom hit 34 months told 60 months.

Healing starts when you hit zero I think. So if saying 2 years it must be after quit benzo. But slow taper dosent always means no symtoms when done. I know many gets less symptoms when taper but it also means you stay on benzo a long time. Many say i was only on benzo a few months. Thats not true if taper 2 years after 4 months use for example it means 2.4 years on benzo

It kind of makes sense. Symptoms wax and wane.But to me depression and despair have been my worst accompanied by horrible mornings.

It kind of makes sense. Symptoms wax and wane.But to me depression and despair have been my worst accompanied by horrible mornings.

Blue water you meaning increasing the dose.

I really begin to think it is down to the individual and  how we react to the drug

I was only on 4mgs of valium ,tapered for 3 months after 3 months use of being ill on it, and got to 2.5mgs  put back to 4mgs by the hospital and tapered for 14 months to zero,  using micro taper for the last 2mgs,

I am 8 months off and suffering really badly with some severe symptoms, 

I cannot say that the long taper helped me at all and in my case  with hindsight I might well have done less harm stopping faster, and indeed however bad I felt after the first attempt at tapering to 2.5mgs. I think I should have continued, I would now be lot further into my recovery and maybe done a lot less damage to my hearing and  my  perhaps not had all this neuropathy going , on , 

I will never know  I can only say it is so individual

For me the long taper kept me on the drug for 20 months and it was of no benefit at all

I do have to take into account my age that will be playing a part too as this class of drug is so very bad for older people

Jen

Re: Question about first five months after getting to zero Xanax . . .

When I first quit Xanax, I did not feel much different versus what I'd felt during taper. My symptoms were not worse, but I didn't magically feel better.

Day by day I began to feel better with some really rough days thrown in. Progress was so slow that I hardly noticed that I was getting better.

As my sleep improved (still have problems with that), my overall health got better or my perception was that I felt better.

Just read your sig.You've been on 20 mg prozac for 2 months.And prior to that?

Nothing just clonazepam. Tried amitriptyline for a week but reacted badly to it.

[18...]

Nothing just clonazepam. Tried amitriptyline for a week but reacted badly to it.

So it seems prozac has had no effect. I would discuss it with the doctor.

We should be open to the idea that it's not always benzo withdrawal. I learnt it the hard way. I'm not trying to diagnose you though -- please don't misunderstand.

Ct did not work out for me. I only used for 2 weeks but my symptoms were still unbearable. By the time I found benzos buddies I was 5 months out. I could not find one person who thought reinstating Was a good idea. They said it could even make me worse so I was too terrified to try. I’m 24 months out and I got much worse anyway.

Ct did not work out for me. I only used for 2 weeks but my symptoms were still unbearable. By the time I found benzos buddies I was 5 months out. I could not find one person who thought reinstating Was a good idea. They said it could even make me worse so I was too terrified to try. I’m 24 months out and I got much worse anyway.

Accused I feel for you brother. At times I get hopeless and forget how good felt.

What are doing to cope up brother?

So it seems prozac has had no effect. I would discuss it with the doctor.

We should be open to the idea that it's not always benzo withdrawal. I learnt it the hard way. I'm not trying to diagnose you though -- please don't misunderstand.

You may be right about this.The change is subtle. I am actually 4 months on prozac now. Going to update.

My doctor forced me to taper off Klonopin in less than 30 days, so it was Almost a cold turkey.

I did not feel like ME again until close to the three year mark.

I would NOT recommend this, as it was pure HELL

My doctor forced me to taper off Klonopin in less than 30 days, so it was Almost a cold turkey.

I did not feel like ME again until close to the three year mark.

I would NOT recommend this, as it was pure HELL

Livestrong good to hear you  still hanging on.Benzo withdrawal can be pure hell and hopeless.