Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

ZOLOFT prescribed while on withdrawal please help

[Lo...]

[f5...]

1. Sert is a good AD

2. Members have benefited from it in withdrawal. I have.

3. Many have not

4. Sert belongs to SSRI class of drugs. They take 2 to 8 weeks to show results

5. Starting an SSRI can be difficult because for the first 2 weeks they generally make your symptoms worse before they make it better. Mom should be monitored for 2 weeks.

I am benzo free for 9 months and have not improved. I started taking sertraline last week and although it's too early to know if it's benefiting me, it has not made me any worse like supplements do.

I did consider the taper but she quit cold turkey in July and didn't tell anyone about it so reinstating after two months seems to me like would cause more problems since her GABA receptor is now beginning to adjust. She also got a prescription for Hydroxyzine for her anxiety. I'm just afraid that she will suffer more negative consequences and need advice on these meds.

[f5...]

I did consider the taper but she quit cold turkey in July and didn't tell anyone about it so reinstating after two months seems to me like would cause more problems since her GABA receptor is now beginning to adjust. She also got a prescription for Hydroxyzine for her anxiety. I'm just afraid that she will suffer more negative consequences and need advice on these meds.

I agree with you.

[e1...]

She also got a prescription for Hydroxyzine for her anxiety. I'm just afraid that she will suffer more negative consequences and need advice on these meds.

Like benzos, antihistamines are contraindicated in older people (because of the risks of causing dementia).

She also got a prescription for Hydroxyzine for her anxiety. I'm just afraid that she will suffer more negative consequences and need advice on these meds.

Like benzos, antihistamines are contraindicated in older people (because of the risks of causing dementia).

Please put data to support this claim, we'd be interested in peer reviewed studies.

Please put data to support the claim about antihistamines, we'd be interested in peer reviewed studies.

edit: correct quotation

Thank you so much for the article, I think it is best to be safe and say no to the hydroxyzine and see if she benefits from taking Zoloft under our supervision. Thank you all for replying, the more I research the less I trust doctors and psychiatrists even though the one she saw today was compassionate and understood her situation. I just keep telling her to be patient and trust the process.

[e1...]
Hydroxyzine may be used every so often as a sleep aid (it won't work for more than three days in a row, but once every two weeks it ought to work). It must be noted, however, that hydroxyzine has a dangerous property of prolonging duration of action of other drugs. So it really shouldn't be used in combination with other drugs.