Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Will purely mental symptoms ever improve

[le...]

Just wondered if anyone has had purely mental symptoms that eventually improved. Most seem to have physical things as well which must be equally distressing.. Had intrusive thoughts and bit like OCD type symptoms that gradually got worse over time. Starting think I am mentally ill at times Tried all the usual stuff due to nature of thoughts can't really go for walks anymore too stressful.. Tried various distraction that help for little while. None of usual stuff recommended helped.Been really bad this week my friend suggested might be because of full moon.It must be zopiclone, AD withdrawal as I was functioning normally before stopping but starting to question whether this is who I really am.

This is what I focused on in your post, It must be zopiclone, AD withdrawal as I was functioning normally before stopping, hang on to this because I feel it's the key to your recovery rather than feeling doomed to suffer with mental illness.  Believe in yourself leann, believe you will return to who you were, I believe it because it happened for me. 

My mom had schizophrenia and when this happened to me I was so scared because I began to believe I was following in her footsteps but it was the drug and when I recovered I was back to myself again.

Don't let the fear win, trust your brain to be able to make right the havoc the drug caused.

Think it's when it's gone on for so long with no improvement, don't seem many people have continually severe mental symptoms seems to be mainly physical symptoms people suffer with more. Shouldn't compare I know but most people seem have some easing by a year, I get angry the anti depressants have no doubt delayed my recovery the medical profession clueless yet again.Just feel exhausted by it all.

No one else have severe mental symptoms after 18 months? Think I could cope with physical symptoms better although sure they are very debilitating. The mental ones make it really hard to give yourself positive affirmations that you will eventually recover. Was advised by help centre majority  recover by 2 years but wondering now?

[2c...]
From the beginning my symptoms were mainly menatal. I sometimes wish I had physical symptoms so that at least I would know that I wasn't crazy, its just withdrawal. I am 16 months out and having a lot of mental symptoms. Anxiety, depression, anger outbursts, cannot tolerate stress, etc. I know how you feel. Its hard to hold on to hope the longer this goes on. Have a goal in mind. I am just trying to hold on until 18 months, then 2 years, then hopefully soon after I will be healed.

Than you seem to be so few people having long term mental symptoms. Given up having any goals just makes me more depressed when they pass with no change. Doesn't help having heatwave here at moment so not sleeping much either

[0d...]

Leann,

People suffer from severe mental symptoms, I am one of them.  It gets better for me with a clean diet, reduced stress, and brisk walks.  I was anxious again today and cried for an hour, but I am not losing days to the mental symptoms it’s hours, eventually it will be minutes...then eventually none.

Love

FL

Thanks just not much on here with people still have mental symptoms for long time. Unfortunately can't go for walks anymore because of the nature of the OCD symptoms.I do pilates currently just on line so get some exercise, and not eating lot at moment to be honest. But reassuring not only one

I've got mental symptoms at 18 months Leann.  They are a lot similar to your own.  I'm now thinking it might just take 2 years. 

D x

Beginning to think the same unfortunately. I've probably delayed things by taking anti depressants as I never had them before stopping meds just have keep hoping. Does help knowing I'm not only one anyway.

I've got mental symptoms at 18 months Leann.  They are a lot similar to your own.  I'm now thinking it might just take 2 years. 

D x

Same here. I am 18 months off as well. I do have physical symptoms but I don't think they are entirely benzo-related. The mental is the worst.

Leann, look at EverHopefulQuest's success story. Hers was all mental. You aren't the only one.

I still have really severe mental symptoms at nearly 39 months out. But this process has not been linear at all. I felt normal/healed in February/March. I've had plenty of windows that sometimes lasted days/week when not months where I felt normal and all the mental stuff melted away. Unfortunately Year 3 has been tough for me for a good chunk of it.

I also have a buddy (T1D) that jumped near around the same time that I did and he has all of the mental crap too, along with a small group of people that jumped around the same time with us.

Chemical (Organic) Mental Fear/Terror, Thought Hyperawareness, Looping Thoughts, Obsessive Thoughts, Intrusive Thoughts, Depression, Irritability, Anger, Insomnia, Conscious Breathing/Air Hunger.

I know that this is withdrawal and not some sort of anxiety disorder, because it has come and gone in the past and is seemingly triggered for no apparent reason. I've continued working for the last 2 years and actually seem to do better when I'm around people and distracted. I continue to socialize and exercise, even despite feeling like I'm losing my mind most of the time.

Walking is tough for me too sometimes, because my mind just hyperfixates on the fact that I don't feel normal. I just feel disconnected and out of it all the time, like I can't connect with the world around me. It sucks.

You're not alone.

D x

Same here. I am 18 months off as well. I do have physical symptoms but I don't think they are entirely benzo-related. The mental is the worst.

Leann, look at EverHopefulQuest's success story. Hers was all mental. You aren't the only one.

I did read that she did recover quicker than me after stopping. Think I'm lost cause no one seems to have improved at 18 months off they all seem have some Windows. Given up hope really in bad place. Partly my fault taking anti depressants delayed recovery by several months. Trying to avoid the protracted withdrawal board  makes me feel even more hopeless.

Meant to say no one seems to have gone on so long with no improvement at 18 months they all seem recovered from mental symptoms quicker