Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Has anyone successfully tapered off Klonopin?

[Lo...]

I’m starting a really slow taper, and I’m planning on doing this for a few months, but I’ve read that Klonopin is the worst benzo to taper from and that there are many failures. Also it’s the one that does the most damage compared to Xanax and Valium. Is this true? Reading this stuff scared me to the point where I thought I’d be stuck on these pills forever. At this point I’m so downtrodden by this that I would at least, in the very least like to get to an as needed basis where I take them once or twice a week as needed. Is that even possible?

Perhaps what I read was just alarmist but I just don’t know. If I could switch to Valium that would be great too, but It depends on my body’s metabolism apparently?

I could really use some moral support and some advice as to what to do here? I had a plan set up and was ready and motivated but was just brought down by what I read. I just can’t believe that I’ve been dealt with the supposed worse benzo of them all.

Hi Look4Peace,

I successfully tapered off klonopin several years ago (as you can see in my profile), but at the time I was taking both K and A (both as prescribed, both by the same dr), and I was able to taper off the K while staying on just the A.  I remember some troublesome side effects during the taper, but little by little I was able to do it fine. Then I cut down to just the nighttime dose of A, and it has only been since I started to get down to lower amounts of A alone that I've really struggled.  I'm sure you can do it! There are many success stories on this forum of people who successfully tapered off Klonopin.  What I've found is that I'm better able to stay the course if I focus on the success stories and not so much on the horror stories.  You might find that helps too. 

I do believe you can do it, and you can find some great support here.

Haimona

Hi Look4Peace,

I successfully tapered off klonopin several years ago (as you can see in my profile), but at the time I was taking both K and A (both as prescribed, both by the same dr), and I was able to taper off the K while staying on just the A.  I remember some troublesome side effects during the taper, but little by little I was able to do it fine. Then I cut down to just the nighttime dose of A, and it has only been since I started to get down to lower amounts of A alone that I've really struggled.  I'm sure you can do it! There are many success stories on this forum of people who successfully tapered off Klonopin.  What I've found is that I'm better able to stay the course if I focus on the success stories and not so much on the horror stories.  You might find that helps too. 

I do believe you can do it, and you can find some great support here.

Haimona

Haimona, you rock. This site rocks and I appreciate all the support. You guys do a great service for people in need. I was able to read a little more of the horror story I was sucked into, and I missed the part where this person mentioned that the worst complications come from long term use, into the years, and that it was they meant. I’ve only been on for 3 1/2 months, going on four and am starting my taper on the fifth. But I plan to do so really, really slowly. Possibly get a generic test to see if I metabolize Valium to successfully switch too. I’m going the distance to beat this thing.

But I wonder if the slower I go with tapering, if that is putting me in danger for being in long term use?

Also, by A did you mean Ativan? I hear that’s the weakest of the benzos, no? During one my trips to the ER when I was going through a hellish withdrawal after my CT, the doc gave me 1 mg of Ativan and it practically did nothing. Xanax barely helped. My body was like give me Klonopin or you’re stuck like this forever.

Again I’m so thankful for sites like this and people such as yourself for keeping newbies like me off the ledge.

I was able to taper 1 mg K after 8 years of trying.

The way that I was finally able to successfully do it was actually very simple.

The first day I measured the pills and the weight was 0.330 g.

The next day I measured 0.329 g and the day after that 0.328 g and so on until I reached zero.

It took me about a year but that's the only way that I could do it.

If I would have done it faster, then most likely I would have relapsed.

You need to give your nervous system time to heal, and this take time, effort and dedication, but it looks like you are motivated so that's good!

Good Luck!

I quick tapered 10 years of K at 3mg daily(I don’t remember quitting the Xanax),  I had no information and no idea what I was doing until I found BB right before I jumped.  It has been horrible but I am sure that a proper taper(not just randomly breaking pills) with a plan and all the knowledge here can be done a heck of a lot better.  I am coming out the other side now and I have slowly been improving each day.  Some days the benzo lies are stronger than me and tell me that I am not getting better(or that I am getting worse) and overwhelmingly make me FEEL that lie.  It isn’t even slightly true but K gets a stranglehold on emotions and sense of time. learn to identify the lies that K will impress upon your soul and you will have a defensive weapon during your journey. Make little mantras of specific truths that deny troublesome lies you are forced to feel and don’t worry about being kinda crazy during withdrawals = it’s normal... lol!  Don’t push so hard that you end up going backwards, as that is what seems to be a real problem for a lot of people.  I am not going to sugarcoat it, nor am I going to claim K is the worst= I am not planning on trying any others to find that out.  All the benzodiazepines are unique to their hosts

.  You can only walk your own path, never try to incorporate someone else’s lest you stumble on unfamiliar terrain in the benzo dark. 

I quick tapered 10 years of K at 3mg daily(I don’t remember quitting the Xanax),  I had no information and no idea what I was doing until I found BB right before I jumped.  It has been horrible but I am sure that a proper taper(not just randomly breaking pills) with a plan and all the knowledge here can be done a heck of a lot better.  I am coming out the other side now and I have slowly been improving each day.  Some days the benzo lies are stronger than me and tell me that I am not getting better(or that I am getting worse) and overwhelmingly make me FEEL that lie.  It isn’t even slightly true but K gets a stranglehold on emotions and sense of time. learn to identify the lies that K will impress upon your soul and you will have a defensive weapon during your journey. Make little mantras of specific truths that deny troublesome lies you are forced to feel and don’t worry about being kinda crazy during withdrawals = it’s normal... lol!  Don’t push so hard that you end up going backwards, as that is what seems to be a real problem for a lot of people.  I am not going to sugarcoat it, nor am I going to claim K is the worst= I am not planning on trying any others to find that out.  All the benzodiazepines are unique to their hosts

.  You can only walk your own path, never try to incorporate someone else’s lest you stumble on unfamiliar terrain in the benzo dark.

Thank you, and you are right, I should focus on the positive stories and not on people's stumbles. And the K lies are already starting. I take my pills as though by ritual now when I wonder if I even need it. I took one tonight even though I felt absolutely no need to take it but in my head I keep thinking that if don't take it now I'll wake up in the middle of the night with a panic attack or something. Something tells me I could easily miss a nightly dose and be ok to take one in the morning and effectively cut my dosage down by half. But I am afraid to try. It's probably because I take my night dose late at night and morning dose much earlier before the 12 hour mark. I don't know if this is a mind trick, or if I am just conditioning myself to just take a pill at night without the need to. Or perhaps this is what stabilization on the pills feels like?

I was able to taper 1 mg K after 8 years of trying.

The way that I was finally able to successfully do it was actually very simple.

The first day I measured the pills and the weight was 0.330 g.

The next day I measured 0.329 g and the day after that 0.328 g and so on until I reached zero.

It took me about a year but that's the only way that I could do it.

If I would have done it faster, then most likely I would have relapsed.

You need to give your nervous system time to heal, and this take time, effort and dedication, but it looks like you are motivated so that's good!

Good Luck!

I plan to slowly taper that long, but would i need to? I took them for 4 months, planning on tapering the 5th. I've already kinda started by shaving some off, but it's basically negligible. Would a year be too detrimental as it would add more time to me taking it making it harder? Well if you did it after 8 years, I am sure I can pull it off in a year after a years use total tapering, no?

I plan to slowly taper that long, but would i need to? I took them for 4 months, planning on tapering the 5th. I've already kinda started by shaving some off, but it's basically negligible. Would a year be too detrimental as it would add more time to me taking it making it harder? Well if you did it after 8 years, I am sure I can pull it off in a year after a years use total tapering, no?

If you go by my pace of 0.001 g per day and if your 0.5 mg pill weights 0.170 g then it will take you 170 days or about 6 months.

It is possible that you could go faster but do you really want to risk it? Wouldn't it better doing it the slow and steady way and be done with it the first time?

In my opinion, you would do well to try a much longer taper than is being proposed here. It's not impossible that someone has to taper for longer than they were even on the benzo but it's not the norm. You went 7 days without taking it at all and had a panic attack on the 8th day and here you are? That suggests rebound anxiety rather than physical dependency. It was frightening enough for you to reinstate the pill but I suspect you'd have been alright without it. You wouldn't have had a good time but you'd have been alright.

I think you could step off in a fashion of 0.75mg for 2 weeks, 0.5mg for 2 weeks, 0.25mg for 2 weeks, then stop taking it. This plan won't work for someone who is physically dependent. It would become clear after about a week at 0.75mg. I suspect that OP could follow this plan and be just fine given that they were fine 7 days into a cold turkey. Stepping off in this fashion should prevent rebound anxiety and hopefully reduce the risk of a panic attack. I think it's a really good idea to try this way, accepting that there is a chance things can go a bit wrong and being prepared to move to a slow taper (as outlined in this thread) if they do go wrong. This might save you several months being on benzos when you didn't need to be.

If you go by my pace of 0.001 g per day and if your 0.5 mg pill weights 0.170 g then it will take you 170 days or about 6 months.

It is possible that you could go faster but do you really want to risk it? Wouldn't it better doing it the slow and steady way and be done with it the first time?

Six months seems feasible. I don't want to risk anything and I agree about going slow and steady. I still have a life to live and cannot afford to struggle hard to where I am out for months battling this thing.

In my opinion, you would do well to try a much longer taper than is being proposed here. It's not impossible that someone has to taper for longer than they were even on the benzo but it's not the norm. You went 7 days without taking it at all and had a panic attack on the 8th day and here you are? That suggests rebound anxiety rather than physical dependency. It was frightening enough for you to reinstate the pill but I suspect you'd have been alright without it. You wouldn't have had a good time but you'd have been alright.

I think you could step off in a fashion of 0.75mg for 2 weeks, 0.5mg for 2 weeks, 0.25mg for 2 weeks, then stop taking it. This plan won't work for someone who is physically dependent. It would become clear after about a week at 0.75mg. I suspect that OP could follow this plan and be just fine given that they were fine 7 days into a cold turkey. Stepping off in this fashion should prevent rebound anxiety and hopefully reduce the risk of a panic attack. I think it's a really good idea to try this way, accepting that there is a chance things can go a bit wrong and being prepared to move to a slow taper (as outlined in this thread) if they do go wrong. This might save you several months being on benzos when you didn't need to be.

You know, now that I think about it, I probably could've stopped CT, had I probably been given the beta blockers I take now. I feel like they most of the heavy lifting keeping me stable. They successfully stopped the worst physical side effects of my withdrawals and subsided a lot  of the anxiety. I wish I would've known about them and asked the doc for those first before I went back to the klonopin. But that's too little too late now, I've been back on klonopin for three weeks 2x daily .5mg day and night.

I was doing just fine 7 days off, it's just I messed things up by celebrating a little too early and drank copious amounts of alcohol on the 5th day, then was bedridden with the worst hangover all weekend, once I thought I was in the clear, on the 8th day that afternoon I was hit with the panic attacks, and it wouldn't subside for three days until I took a klonopin. So perhaps the doctors were right, in that they weren't really withdrawals but rebound anxiety that triggered a panic attack? I probably could've just waited it out and made it out ok but I gave in and went straight back to the pill. Yet I wonder if that ER doc would've given me a beta blocker instead of a 1mg shot of Ativan to send me home, I most likely would've just went to my primary and requested the beta blocker and would've ended this whole thing.

Anyways, too many questions, but I appreciate you taking the time to analyze my situation. At this point, I think I could try your suggestion. Mostly because I feel as though I don't need to take both doses, at least not at night. I feel like I am doing that out of conditioning and it's a psychological thing. I feel no need for it. OR is that just because I am stabilized by the pill and wouldn't feel anything anyways unless I stopped taking it for days? That would be good too, because I would much rather take it on as needed basis than a full 1 mg dose daily.

Thank you, Diaz-E-Bam, this convo is giving me a lot of hope and insight into how to beat this.

In my own experience, slow and steady is the way to go. I think that there are horror stories with all of these drugs. When I first started, all I kept reading was about how Xanax is the worst and that was discouraging. But, I'm 7 months into my taper. It's very doable. I just find I have to go slow. My body definitely tells me if I try to taper too much. Good luck!  :)

I finished my Klonopin taper 2 weeks ago. I reduced approximately 0.06 mg every 3 days. Approximately because I did cuts by eye. Rode out the anxiety withdrawal symptoms and the body jerks. The brain fog lifted as I was getting near the end of my taper. That gave me hope that I could get my brain back.