Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Withdrawaling from Xanax prescribed by doctor

[re...]

Hello. I have been on 1 mg of Xanax 3 times daily for nearly 5 months now. I recently went from 3 mg daily to 2.5 mg daily. I am experiencing horrible withdrawal symptoms and I need support outside of my doctors and family. I dropped the .5 mg dose 2+ weeks ago now and I am still experiencing horrible panic and physical symptoms. It makes me sad, scared for the long road ahead of me and truly... a little hopeless. I need support, advice, and help.

Hello restorationstory and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

I'm sorry you've been suffering from withdrawal symptoms while tapering off of Xanax. It can feel discouraging to go through these symptoms and feel particularly unfair when you were on them for a relatively short period of time.  However it's no unusual I'm sorry to say.  We're glad found us - you'll find good information and support from a caring community to help you as you continue to taper.  Members here understand what you're going through.

We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer depending on symptoms in order to minimize withdrawal symptoms and keep you functioning as well as possible.  Some members taper even more gradually and slowly.  You'll find a lot of information about tapering options.

Here are some links to help you get started exploring the site. 

We highly recommend The Ashton Manual - an excellent resource on benzo withdrawal.  Chap. III lists common withdrawal symptoms.

You may want to post with questions on these boards:

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

The Xanax Club

It’s helpful to create a signature so other members who want to reply to your posts can see where you are in the process. Here’s how to add your benzo info automatically to your posts: go to Profile, then Forum Profile, write your info (which benzo, dose, taper history) in the text box and save. Thanks! Let us know if you need help with this.

Again, welcome! Please reach out for support.

Brighterday.  :)