Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Trying to stop Lunesta and Klonopin currently

[lo...]

Hello,

Thank you in advance for welcoming me to this community!

I have been attempting to conduct my own withdrawal from Lunesta 3mg and Klonopin (originally) 1mg.  I had been on Lunesta 1mg for about 3 years for sleep but then 1.5 years ago I had a bad reaction to medical treatment and couldn't sleep.  It was then that I started on 3mg Lunesta and 1mg Klonopin (both taken at night only) in order to facilitate sleep (I wasn't able to sleep at all at that time which was why I started them).

Here I am 1.5 years after starting.  I didn't realize there would be withdrawal as I wasn't feeling anything from being on the Klonopin, so about 7 months ago I started lopping of .25 - .5 mg increments of Klonopin with only several days in between (as I couldn't feel any ill affect after say 3 days of cutting).  Well, I ended up getting a back spasm so bad that I couldn't get up off the floor and had to go to a chiro/physical therapy 3 times a week for a month to rehab my muscle.  It was then I realized the profound hold that these drugs had on me (I had no idea that I was dependent).

As of today 7/16/20, I am down to .05mg of Klonopin a night which is almost .25 of a .5 mg pill.  (I have been dry cutting 10% off every two weeks since February).  Things had been going somewhat ok (I would have a night or two of really bad sleep after a cut) but the last 3 or 4 nights I keep waking up at 2am and can't sleep at all until around 4 or 5am, at which time I usually pass out until 9am. 

I believe I just now realized that the Lunesta 3mg is causing some kind of kindling or otherwise making my klonopin withdrawal complicated.  I hypothesize that the reason I can't sleep from 2a-4a is due to the half-life of the Lunesta.  I realized that this situation is really getting complicated and I am going to need advice on how to proceed because my mental state isn't providing a lot of clarity.

Currently taking: 

.05mg Klonopin/nightly with 10% reduction dry cut every 2 weeks

3 mg Lunesta taken nightly at bedtime 15 minutes before desired bedtime

Current problem:

Waking up at 1:30 or 2:00am for the past 3 or 4 nights and unable to fall back asleep until 4 or 5am.

-ls

Hello longsummer and Welcome to BenzoBuddies!

We're glad you found us!  Congratulation on your decision to quit Klonopin and Lunesta.  As I'm sure you know Klonopin is a benzo and Lunesta is a Z-drug which is chemically different from benzos but acts similarly on the Gaba receptors.  You'll find good information on withdrawal from both drugs and support from a caring community of members who understand what this process is like.  This support can make a huge difference in how we feel during our recovery.

We typically suggest tapering with cuts of no more than 5-10% every 10-14 days or longer depending on symptoms. Some members choose to taper even more slowly with symptoms guiding when to make the next cut.  A slow careful taper helps minimize withdrawal symptoms so you're able to function as well as possible during and after your taper. 

There's a lot of information here so please take your time to explore the site. Feel free to post your questions.  I'll give you some links to help you get started:

The Ashton Manual  - a great resource on benzo withdrawal.  Chap. III lists common symptoms.

Planning Your Withdrawal (Taper Plans)

Withdrawal Support (during your taper)

Z-drugs (an explanation of Z-drugs/Sleeping pills)

Insomnia Tips

Insomnia   

If you would like to add a signature (history of meds/doses etc) it will help members give relevant advice.  Go to the top of the page and select PROFILE then choose forum profile then insert drug history into the text box and remember to click change profile

Again, welcome!  Please reach out for support.

Brighterday  :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi longsummer,

I’m new to BB and read your introduction. Your story is similar to mine in that I use klonopin and lunesta. My lunesta use is only occasional and I will read the link that Brighterday provided about Z-drugs.

But...my question to you is I don’t understand how you are on .05mg of K. I am genuinely curious and want to understand. .25 of .5 would be .125mg right? I have .5mg tablets. I get 60 a month. My dose was one in the morning and one at night. I have started a taper and am trying to absorb as much information as possible. Thanks for helping me understand!

And, of course I am rooting for you to get through this.

• 11 months later...

Hi WIP,

Sorry I hadn't checked in here and seen your message, it looks like you're benzo free now - congratulations!

I am back here to look at getting off the lunesta

-LS