Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Does anyone have bizarre thoughts like this?

[69...]

[69...]

This is really driving me insane and it doesn't seem to be normal in recovery from psych drugs or any OCD theme.

Besides nonsensical racing thoughts all day long my brain is doing this latching and looping stuff.

I was just going through some photos and my brain goes "where was that picture taken" and now it's looping non stop on in my head.

It can literally latch onto anything. I spend all day ingoring these thoughts. When people are talking I constantly want them to repeats what they are saying, when I watch TV my brain asks a million questions,  I can see something briefly on TV or YouTube and my brain will loop on it. It's like my brain doesn't want to let these things go?

Is this normal for OCD or not? I don't have necessarily violent or bad thoughts that loop in my head lately just this annoying stuff.

The hyperawareness of my thoughts makes this worse.

Is there anything I can do to stop my brain from latching and looping like this. It's really a horrible symtom.

I refrain from googling or finding the answers to my questions but they just loop and loop until it fades or another one comes along. Sometimes it impossible to find the answer.

I never know what my brain will latch onto so its not like I can train myself not to do complusions if it's the same thought. Some of the thoughts are just curious everyday thoughts.

I hope this makes sense.

Sounds like anxiety and your brain is on overdrive. A thought is a thought the more you fight them the worse it gets. Let the thought come and let it go. Just like a cloud comes and it passes. It’s when you freak out over your thought and dwell on it it magnitudes the issue.

You need to fight the thoughts. Don't just acknowledge they are there, bash them out of your head before they drive you insane. Bang!

[69...]

You need to fight the thoughts. Don't just acknowledge they are there, bash them out of your head before they drive you insane. Bang!

[/quote

I'm not sure if this is a joke or not? It really ramped my anxiety up.

[69...]

Sounds like anxiety and your brain is on overdrive. A thought is a thought the more you fight them the worse it gets. Let the thought come and let it go. Just like a cloud comes and it passes. It’s when you freak out over your thought and dwell on it it magnitudes the issue.

Have you ever experienced this before?  Its easy to say its just anxiety and to ingore the thoughts but have you ever experienced it?

Its 24/7 looping and racing not one second of calm and every thought feels like a knife to my head.

YES! I had such horrible racing thoughts I couldn’t even stand tv. I would over analyze everything I watched, read or heard and it would be unbearable. But as I said for me the only thing that works is to just accept that a thought is a thought. Don’t try to fight it my therapist told me that. When you fear it or try to escape it it comes on stronger. Imagine if someone said don’t think of a purple dinosaur you would think of it right? Same thing let it be. It will go Away over time. Your Brain is in overdrive!

Not joking, just relating my specific experience to you. Those pesky intrusive thoughts deserve special attention in my experience.

You dont need to fight the thoughts as mentioned, this will likely just make them stronger as you are giving attention to them. The process is awful and long winded but things do get better. If you can accept the thoughts and see them as separate from yourself then you will gain back some control and things will begin to get easier. It took me 16 months before i could even begin to practice this. It was difficult to get to that point because everything was so overwheming before that but things have sloely improved over time. It takes time but you will get better .. you need to truely believe it because that will also help .. you will get there  :thumbsup:

[69...]

You dont need to fight the thoughts as mentioned, this will likely just make them stronger as you are giving attention to them. The process is awful and long winded but things do get better. If you can accept the thoughts and see them as separate from yourself then you will gain back some control and things will begin to get easier. It took me 16 months before i could even begin to practice this. It was difficult to get to that point because everything was so overwheming before that but things have sloely improved over time. It takes time but you will get better .. you need to truely believe it because that will also help .. you will get there  :thumbsup:

Thank you. I spend all day not doing the compulsions and letting the thoughts be there but they are so constant and don't stop.

I see you were on remeron too. How did you come off of it if you don't mind me asking?

Yeah the whole process is literally a living nightmare .. i ended up on remeron for nearly 3 years to help me stop benzos. I was on 30mg until just after 2 years free of benzos and then just cut the dose approx every few months to 22.5mg, then 15mg, then 7.5mg and then stopped completely. The exact time frame i was on each dose is in my signature below .. over all i now feel better for being off them but needed it for sleep and to numb me out a bit when things were really bad

Perth all of us suffer from the thoughts.I spent a long time fighting them until I read mindful way through depression. Mindfulness helps so much I forcefully agree as nothing else to do.But when I started mindfulness of thoughts I started seeing the thoughts as clouds and it became so easier with practice.

[69...]

Perth all of us suffer from the thoughts.I spent a long time fighting them until I read mindful way through depression. Mindfulness helps so much I forcefully agree as nothing else to do.But when I started mindfulness of thoughts I started seeing the thoughts as clouds and it became so easier with practice.

I'm not talking about a few intrusive thoughts here and there.  I'm talking about every second of every day.  Can you honestly say you are experiencing that?  I doubt it.

Have you found things got worse since you were on Remeron? For mr SSRI's made thoughts a whole lot worse, have read OCD is a side effect of them. don't know if the same applies to Remeron. Which is different type of anti depressant. As others have said trying to fight them is just going make them worse.The normal CBT stuff just doesn't work. I have tried avoiding some of the trigges totally against CBT advice, but that's helping a bit with the anxiety. Also have you tried talking to a therapist at all, doesn't work for everyone but might be worth couple sessions. Have read others who had pre existing OCD found benzo's made things worse definitely the drugs in my case.

To OP, have you tried to repeat the thoughts yourself? Instead of wanting them to go away, rather repeat themself yourself or say to yourself, now you are just going to think of this? Your sounds a bit hardcore, but my impression is that we try to avoid intrusive thoughts, it gives us anxiety, but when we try to get away from them it gets worse because our brain thinks it is a scary thing and we need to deal with, but we try to get away from it. Does that make sense?

Do you have any tips for this? Would like to read on it.

[6a...]

The thoughts are beginning to quiet for me...I still get weird multiple times per day but it is no longer wall to wall.  I get breaks.  So yes, it does get better...but I challenge the thoughts because they upset me.  For example, I went to the mall and started becoming paranoid about safety issues because of a lack of presence of security.  The guards were now where to be found...I pushed through it, stayed at the mall.  It’s okay because we recognize the thoughts are thought patterns are ridiculous.  I know They are uncomfortable to say the least, but if we were all losing our minds we would not be cognizant of it.  It would just happen.  So yeah, is it withdrawal or paradoxical from remeron, who knows.  All I know is our only way out is through the storm.  You will heal, keep fighting.  Sending love and prayers.

Love

FL

[69...]

The thoughts are beginning to quiet for me...I still get weird multiple times per day but it is no longer wall to wall.  I get breaks.  So yes, it does get better...but I challenge the thoughts because they upset me.  For example, I went to the mall and started becoming paranoid about safety issues because of a lack of presence of security.  The guards were now where to be found...I pushed through it, stayed at the mall.  It’s okay because we recognize the thoughts are thought patterns are ridiculous.  I know They are uncomfortable to say the least, but if we were all losing our minds we would not be cognizant of it.  It would just happen.  So yeah, is it withdrawal or paradoxical from remeron, who knows.  All I know is our only way out is through the storm.  You will heal, keep fighting.  Sending love and prayers.

Love

FL

Thank you but what I consider racing thoughts and what you consider racing thoughts are nothing alike.  My thoughts RACE from one thing to another faster than you can count.  Its not just anxious worrying thoughts. It's 1000s of different thoughts a minute. It's mental akathisia.  Looping thoughts for hours you can't stop.  Brain latching onto everything and questioning everything you hear, see, read, watch and it feels like your brain will shutdown from information overload.  What I am experiencing is not rumination and worrying anxious thoughts about something. It's hyperawareness of all my thoughts a subconscious mind.  People will comment on my posts like you are and say they are experiencing what I am but it's nothing like that. What you are describing is anxiety.  I had generalized anxiety disorder for most of my life and that's something I delt with for 10+ years along with a host of physical symptoms. I'm not saying your not suffering I'm saying it's just on a different level just like any symptom in this.  Some people have pain. That pain can be a 1 for someone and another person is at 10 24/7.  Or insomnia.  Someone can sleep not well or often but someone else might have not sleep 1-2 hours the whole week. 

• 3 months later...
[69...]

Yeah the whole process is literally a living nightmare .. i ended up on remeron for nearly 3 years to help me stop benzos. I was on 30mg until just after 2 years free of benzos and then just cut the dose approx every few months to 22.5mg, then 15mg, then 7.5mg and then stopped completely. The exact time frame i was on each dose is in my signature below .. over all i now feel better for being off them but needed it for sleep and to numb me out a bit when things were really bad

How are you doing lately since you jumped off 7.5mg remeron?