Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Anyone bedridden 15 months out go on to heal?

[Pt...]

Nope. 2 years.

And I know other members who have been in bed for even longer.

Oh, and in the 3d year I broke my back and had to be in bed for months - again.

And today life is great.

If you continue to tell yourself that you are the worst case ever, I highly doubt it helps you to cope with the Now. I know I make you angry, so be it, but really, hope - for me - is nothing more than the decision to survive and make the best of what you have left. This attitude has made me crawl to a supermarket, crush in public so many times, but in the end, withdrawal was the teacher for what I can enjoy now. I learned that as long as I can just be, I can control at least 10 seconds. Thats how I started, watching the flies on the wall. Horrible. And later, doing things no matter what. No matter if you can just walk 3 steps, do it daily. I walked and crawled around the kitchen table. I made myself tons of plans like in a physical rehab and I needed to do whatever was written on my daily list. And if the only points were "brush teeth" and "eat 1 time" - this was an effort.

Today I am still practicing that. The only difference is that I can jog a mile now. And that I can enjoy what I do. but I will never forget where this all came from. Hang in there buddy, okey? :smitten:

The thing that discourages me is I am worse off than I was last year ......

at 5 months off - 10 months I could walk. I walked around the house ev3ry hour to try and maintain strength. Then I started noticing I couldn’t control my muscles. I started having feet and leg pain. Now I can barely make it to the bathroom and I have a camode (sp?) next to my bed to pee.  I Gradually developed like 30 new physical symptoms, mostly muscular, spinal, nerve, tendon. In the beginning of this all when other people posted muscle, nerve, etc symptoms I didn’t even know what they were talking about. I was housebound bc of agoraphobia but I wasn’t bedbound.

I see a lot of people were bedridden during taper and initially.l.but The story always goes “at 1 year off I could do more, at 2 years off I could do even more”. My story is the complete opposite!

at 5 months off - 10 months I could walk. I walked around the house ev3ry hour to try and maintain strength. Then I started noticing I couldn’t control my muscles. I started having feet and leg pain. Now I can barely make it to the bathroom and I have a camode (sp?) next to my bed to pee.  I Gradually developed like 30 new physical symptoms, mostly muscular, spinal, nerve, tendon. In the beginning of this all when other people posted muscle, nerve, etc symptoms I didn’t even know what they were talking about. I was housebound bc of agoraphobia but I wasn’t bedbound.

I see a lot of people were bedridden during taper and initially.l.but The story always goes “at 1 year off I could do more, at 2 years off I could do even more”. My story is the complete opposite!

I assume you have seen a lot of doctors like neuro experts?

I am not healing linear as you named it, as well. The worst year of allergies and insensitive was year 2, not year 1. Sometimes nothing makes sense. Although I had all checks done one could get, just to make sure.

Are you able to get a physical therapist to work with you? I had one which was specialized for people after strokes, this lady saved my life. And she came home to my place so I did not have to leave the bed..

I am not healing linear as you named it, as well. The worst year of allergies and insensitive was year 2, not year 1. Sometimes nothing makes sense. Although I had all checks done one could get, just to make sure.

Are you able to get a physical therapist to work with you? I had one which was specialized for people after strokes, this lady saved my life. And she came home to my place so I did not have to leave the bed..

I refuse to see a neurologist cause I just don’t see the point. Everything started after taking Benzos So I know it’s that, I’m not being a hypochondriac worrying if it’s something else. And even if they do a nerve conduction test and it shows decreased velocity or they do an EMG with positive results, what next? I get diagnosed with MS or ALS or spinal cord compression and degenerative disc disease..or some autoimmune problem, there’s no way I’m going to risk taking steroids or any medication at this point. I know what i have is not going to be cured by anything other than time and luck. It’s medication injury. There’s no medication to treat a medication injury other than supportive care. Wouldn’t you agree?

I can move my legs on the bed and my family wheels me around on a wheelchair. If coronavirus gets controlled in America I may get a PT involved, but definitely not now. Corona is ridiculous here. At least I can take solace in the fact that I’m not helping spreading the virus...

Hope the stars will just align one day

I refuse to see a neurologist cause I just don’t see the point. Everything started after taking Benzos So I know it’s that, I’m not being a hypochondriac worrying if it’s something else. And even if they do a nerve conduction test and it shows decreased velocity or they do an EMG with positive results, what next? I get diagnosed with MS or ALS or spinal cord compression and degenerative disc disease..or some autoimmune problem, there’s no way I’m going to risk taking steroids or any medication at this point. I know what i have is not going to be cured by anything other than time and luck. It’s medication injury. There’s no medication to treat a medication injury other than supportive care. Wouldn’t you agree?

I can move my legs on the bed and my family wheels me around on a wheelchair. If coronavirus gets controlled in America I may get a PT involved, but definitely not now. Corona is ridiculous here. At least I can take solace in the fact that I’m not helping spreading the virus...

Hope the stars will just align one day

I have always seen regular doctors to get the test results. How they interpret it and how I interpret it are not always the same.

But I have learned as soon as I know that something just "does not work as it should", I can do some research and quiet often the treatment the patients with a stroke/MS/lyme disease/ whatever could help me. I was not taking the tests to be put on other drugs, I did the testing to get a different insight about symptoms. Then I considered doctors of eastern medicine, physical therapists, - and I just read what had helped people with a special diagnosis. Most of the time, groups of patients are not really so different although they dont share the same diagnosis, thats why I look on processes on the body. So I finally profited from strategies and treatments and ways to exercise and gain muscles - and I got them from patients who were not suffering from wd, but from other diseases. But I did not care, the body reacts no matter what diagnosis you label it. 

You could just get checked for osteoporosis for example. it also effects the muscles. As soon as you knew, you could take the necessary supplements and exercise the way people with osteoporosis do. (In fact, benzos cause osteoporosis). Or you could find out how people with MS and muscle loss re-train the body. Or like I did, - how people who were in coma and suffer from nerve damage, train the body from toe to head.

I always followed the body's signs, so to speak and instead of being afraid of diagnoses which brought the similar symptoms, I tried therapies and tricks these patients used. And there is a lot out there besides pills!

And autoimmune diseases are not cured by only steroids by the way. I cured one without them, just with supplements.

You are not alone miracle.

Hit 1 yr mark today after 1 yr tapering off 2.5mg valium, in worst status since month 7 continuing getting worse with more sx added in.

Been bedridden since day 1 of fast tapering.

Does your muscle sx on part of you or allover? Is it the main reason you are bed ridden?Mine is head to toe, mixed with excruciating nerve pain numbness burning tingling and major fatigue (new sx) and severe cognitive detoritation.

I agree you aren't alone miracle, I'm nearly 18 months off lot worse than I was 6 months ago, my symptoms all mental but can be just as debilitating. I'm stupidly tried anti depressants which made things lot worse. Lot of what Marigold says is very wise, if you have severe physical symptoms, worth having few tests, blood tests etc rule other things out. Most probably is withdrawal but worth checking it's not something else that can be corrected. My Mum has severe osteoporosis, doesn't normally have symptoms until you fracture a bone, but a bone density scan will show it up. If another med could temporarily help me I would take it, but sadly for mental symptoms there isn't anything. But you certainly aren't alone take care  :)

[c3...]

Soon 33 months off and still most time bedridden/sofa/housebound.  But try to do things anyway. And damn what it cost afterwards....I get mega waves. Like now. I can not do anything! I just wanna drop dead sometimes ...

But like Marigold. I do stuff even in hell. Maybe I over do stuff and get slammed over and over...but still. I do most stuff by my own. Cook food go out with my dog. Read a book vibrating so bad. Clean my house and do the laundry etc. I even has been out and go to a resturant.  It is like my mind forget some of the bad things while distract.

I would not even call that "to distract" cause it did not really make me focus on other things when I felt bad. It was just a stubborn "doing things WHILE feeling like dying"-Thing for me. Distraction sounds so nice as a word, right? like the opposite of boredom or so... but actually it is really a hard technique but eventually can change a lot.

Did you have any mental symptoms? I could cope with physical symptoms and push through, but the mental stuff impossible to fight through. I'm normally quite strong person but just feel a pathetic wreck at moment. Doesn't help when people tell you "acute withdrawal" lasts for months. My husband had cardiac arrest 4 years ago worry effect having on him. Did wonder if might be delayed PTSD as happened at home and nearly lost him. You are one tough cookie!

Leann: I just looked at your signature ...looks like you tried some AD's this year....it takes time for the brain to readjust after taking those meds to as they literally cause physiological changes to receptors...not trying to scare you  - just give information. So give yourself some more time:)

Yes big mistake taking them took citalopram for couple months last year made hair fall out, so swapped to sertraline which gave me awful OCD type symptoms so swapped back to cit. Tapered off for about 6 weeks only very low dose but really screwed up me. Stopped about 3 1/2 weeks ago. Withdrawal been pretty rough.

Hi Trina how long did your acute stage last. Have read cit takes up to week to leave body did read it's one of hardest to get off but was only on low dose. Think because was in zop withdrawal made me more sensitive. Just want my life back if was physical symptoms would be lot easier got deal with , even though physically able can't go out much because of the mental symptoms GP should never have given to me while still in zopiclone withdrawal.