Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

1 month off SSRI. Terrible WD. Back to Clonazepam?

[da...]

Hello everyone, thank you for being such a great source of experience and support community.

Because of anxiety related to a life change event (moving to another country, leaving job, family and friends), I've been taking 100 MG of Luvox (Fluvoxamine) for the last 2 years along with 1 MG of Clonazepam during the first 11 months.

I could quit Clonazepam 1 year ago tapering very slowly and did not have huge WD problems. Last month, as guided by a psychiatrist, I stopped taking Luvox, tapering from 100 MG to 0 MG in one month (25 mg down every week). Right after the first reduction I started felling dizzy, but nothing that was bothering most. The problem was in the last week of reduction (a month ago) when I started to feel a terrible Insomnia, GI Issues, Body Aches and Back Pain. At first I was not anxious, even when awaken at dawn. But now after several nights of poor sleep, I'm feeling waves of Anxiety during the day and at night.

I went back to the psy and I was prescribed 100 MG of Trazodone to sleep which didn't work and then 50 MG of Seroquel which didn't work as well. And obviously trying both without success made me more anxious. The psy suggested to go back to Luvox or try Lexapro or Remeron, but I really don't want to start this all over again.

So I ask her some time to think and I started taking 50 MG of 5-HTP twice a day and 3 MG of time released Melatonin by myself which seemed to help me, but only to fall asleep. In the best nights I can sleep 2 hours wake up for a few minutes and then fall sleep again for another 2 hours. But in the worst nights I can sleep only for 1 hour at all.

In 5 different times (not in a row) for the last 2 weeks, trying to get some sleep and anxiety relief, I did take 0.5 MG of Clonazepam that I had as left over. I could sleep 7h, waking up once only and it gave me a great relief the next day.

Now I don't know what to do, because I worry if go back to Clonazepam how hard it will be to quit it. In addition my psy left for maternity license and the new one doesn't agree to prescribe Clonazepam.

I'd like your opinion about what to do: try to cope with the insomnia and anxiety until hopefully the WD symptoms resides. Take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam everyday and try to taper it (I still have around 50 pills) or ask my psy something else.

In summary I'm taking:

Mid-afternoon: 50 MG 5-HTP

Bedtime: 50 MG 5-HTP, 3 MG TR Melatonin and eventually 0.5 MG Clonazepam

I appreciate your thoughts. Thank you so much!

Note: I did take Luvox and Clonazepam in 2014 for 2 years because of anxiety as well.

[5a...]

I think you are already ahead of this because you are doing your research.  Keep yourself safe, I had a hard time with SSRI withdrawals.  Benzos are not the answer to keep you comfortable...better off reinstating the SSRI and tapering slower I think.

Benzo withdrawal can be easy for some, hell for others.  Stay away from

Benzos at all costs now that you are not dependent on them.  Plus you do not want to “kindle.”

Thanks for the reply Fiercelady. The problem of reinstating the SSRI is that, every time I started taking it in the past, the first 2 weeks of the SSRI are a complete nightmare and I could only overcome it because I was using Clonazepam to sleep while it was happening. Then after 3 months (11 months in the worst case) I could stop Clonazepam but had the SSRI working in the background to support the withdrawal.

So, I might be wrong, but in my mind either I go back to Clonazepam and try to tapper it with the 50 pills that I have left or I also go back to Clonazepam and the SSRI. The other option is face the WD of the SSRI without taking anything. So I'm trying my best to do it.

Yesterday was tough but then something good happen. I took 3 MG of TR Melatonin and 50 MG of 5-HTP at 11pm. I could fall asleep at 12am but then felt something like RLS (not sure if it really was it) and then stayed awake having some anxiety. After reading some posts here and trying to understand that the lack of sleep is not that bad, I tried to sleep again at 3am, woke up at 6am, then tried again and woke up at 8am. So, thank god I could have some good rest without taking any serious medication.

I will try this everyday and hopefully will not have to get some rescue pill to sleep. For 3 days I'm also taking 1 pill of Country Life - Coenzyme B-Complex and I was feeling pretty good anxiety-wise in the afternoon. But today, I'm having some GI Issues (loose stool) which I'm not sure if it's related to it. Do you think I should stop it? Also, I have a bottle of Hemp CBD Sleep Oil Tincture from Calm by Wellness that I never used. I bought it after reading good reviews in the internet for using it to sleep, but decide not to use to don't mess up even more with my SSRI WD symptoms. Do you think it's worth a try?

Thank you so much!

[5a...]

Try posting in the alternative medicine section on here, I was not able to tolerate supplements but do use a medicinal grade CBD Lotion for the nerve burning.

I do not know what advice to give you but all I can say is be careful with the benzos.  It seems your withdrawal symptoms are not so bad this time around, do not chance it could be a nightmare if you try to taper after reinstating...the phenomena is called “kindling.”

I took both SSRIs and benzos for about 13 years give or take.  It has been very difficult for me in recovery as the symptoms are horrific.  I could not tolerate Zoloft once I was off the benzos, the benzos kept me down while the Zoloft had me too jumpy.  I tapered off the SSRI rather quickly, I was holding around 12.5mg for a little while after coming down slowly from 150mg. 

If I could go back I would have never taken benzos.  Have you considered titrating up on your SSRI?  Start really low and increase slowly to tolerate the side effects?  Just an idea...whatever you decide get your physician on board for plan B. 

I am sorry I could not be more helpful.  In conclusion, stay away from benzos...they are very dangerous.

Thanks for the reply Fiercelady. The problem of reinstating the SSRI is that, every time I started taking it in the past, the first 2 weeks of the SSRI are a complete nightmare and I could only overcome it because I was using Clonazepam to sleep while it was happening. Then after 3 months (11 months in the worst case) I could stop Clonazepam but had the SSRI working in the background to support the withdrawal.

So, I might be wrong, but in my mind either I go back to Clonazepam and try to tapper it with the 50 pills that I have left or I also go back to Clonazepam and the SSRI. The other option is face the WD of the SSRI without taking anything. So I'm trying my best to do it.

Yesterday was tough but then something good happen. I took 3 MG of TR Melatonin and 50 MG of 5-HTP at 11pm. I could fall asleep at 12am but then felt something like RLS (not sure if it really was it) and then stayed awake having some anxiety. After reading some posts here and trying to understand that the lack of sleep is not that bad, I tried to sleep again at 3am, woke up at 6am, then tried again and woke up at 8am. So, thank god I could have some good rest without taking any serious medication.

I will try this everyday and hopefully will not have to get some rescue pill to sleep. For 3 days I'm also taking 1 pill of Country Life - Coenzyme B-Complex and I was feeling pretty good anxiety-wise in the afternoon. But today, I'm having some GI Issues (loose stool) which I'm not sure if it's related to it. Do you think I should stop it? Also, I have a bottle of Hemp CBD Sleep Oil Tincture from Calm by Wellness that I never used. I bought it after reading good reviews in the internet for using it to sleep, but decide not to use to don't mess up even more with my SSRI WD symptoms. Do you think it's worth a try?

Thank you so much!

Magnesium  helped me with sleep and RLS

Hi!

I am free of both SSRI and benzos...still in recovery but so much better compared to where I was!

I will never touch a psych med again.

Have you ever tried hydroxazine? It is commonly used here fro sleep and anxiety...its non addictive as it is really an antihistamine. I used it for a bit to help me settle to sleep in the beginning.

I would strongly advice no more benzos. Get that out of your head. they will eventually catch up with your body and cause harm.

best wishes:)

Thank you so much!

Thanks for this info. How did you take it? Was it any specific brand/supplement?

Hi!

I am free of both SSRI and benzos...still in recovery but so much better compared to where I was!

I will never touch a psych med again.

Have you ever tried hydroxazine? It is commonly used here fro sleep and anxiety...its non addictive as it is really an antihistamine. I used it for a bit to help me settle to sleep in the beginning.

I would strongly advice no more benzos. Get that out of your head. they will eventually catch up with your body and cause harm.

best wishes:)

I tried Seroquel and Trazodone and none of them helped me sleep. Seroquel made me feel groggy but with a terrible sensation of clog nose which made me pay too much attention to my breathing and it's kind of a anxiety trigger for me.

Do you think hydroxazine is different?

UPDATE

Thanks everyone! No good news. Yesterday was a really bad day, kind of a milestone for me to decide to reinstate Luvox. Although I could sleep 5h in the day before, I spent the whole afternoon with a super huge anxiety, not able to stay still, feeling of constant anguish, GI Issues, diarrhea. Reading some experiences in survivingantidepressants.org, I just accepted myself that the tapering guided by my psy (who is in maternity leave now) was insanely fast (100 mg to 75 mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 0 mg in only one month).

So, yesterday I took 12.5 mg of Luvox at bedtime (half of my last tapering dosage to avoid worse my hyper sensitivity state in the first week) and unfortunately also took a rescue dose of 1 MG of Clonazepam, as it was impossible to relax and I would spend the night in a really bad state and god knows how I would be the next day if I didn't take it.

Today I'm feeling good, no anxiety (but probably because of the Clonazepam). I hope to spend the day well to be able to think if I will try to not taking the Clonazepam again tonight while I'm reinstating Luvox and it starts to make effect.

My psy in my home country (where first I took Luvox 6 years ago - but not continuously as in my signature). Recommended me to go back to Luvox 50 MG and 0.5 MG of Clonazepam for 1.5 months. It worked for me before in the past as I could quit Clonazepam 3x before while taking Luvox and that's my minimum plan at least. I understand all the risks of reusing benzo, but at the same time I need to live and be functional.

Yesterday I stopped taking 5-HTP and Melatonin and they interact with Luvox. Also stopped taking B complex vitamins that I was taking for 3 days.

Really hopeful that the Luvox reinstatement will make me feel better and I will not need to be taking Clonazepam.

No benzo!!!!

You may think you are in hell now, but he'll from benzo can be 100 times horrifying.

I made the mistake after tapering off lexapro doing not too bad ( especially looking back after benzo hell) but used valium for back injury for only 5 days got myself into a deadly most crule hell, I wush 10 times Lexapro wd than this.

Thank you so much!

Thanks for this info. How did you take it? Was it any specific brand/supplement?

Brand: Doctor's Best-  high absorption Magnesium 100%  Chelated . I have recently purchased glycinate magnesuim from  KAL

• 1 year later...

UPDATE

Thanks everyone! No good news. Yesterday was a really bad day, kind of a milestone for me to decide to reinstate Luvox. Although I could sleep 5h in the day before, I spent the whole afternoon with a super huge anxiety, not able to stay still, feeling of constant anguish, GI Issues, diarrhea. Reading some experiences in survivingantidepressants.org, I just accepted myself that the tapering guided by my psy (who is in maternity leave now) was insanely fast (100 mg to 75 mg to 50 mg to 25 mg to 0 mg in only one month).

So, yesterday I took 12.5 mg of Luvox at bedtime (half of my last tapering dosage to avoid worse my hyper sensitivity state in the first week) and unfortunately also took a rescue dose of 1 MG of Clonazepam, as it was impossible to relax and I would spend the night in a really bad state and god knows how I would be the next day if I didn't take it.

Today I'm feeling good, no anxiety (but probably because of the Clonazepam). I hope to spend the day well to be able to think if I will try to not taking the Clonazepam again tonight while I'm reinstating Luvox and it starts to make effect.

My psy in my home country (where first I took Luvox 6 years ago - but not continuously as in my signature). Recommended me to go back to Luvox 50 MG and 0.5 MG of Clonazepam for 1.5 months. It worked for me before in the past as I could quit Clonazepam 3x before while taking Luvox and that's my minimum plan at least. I understand all the risks of reusing benzo, but at the same time I need to live and be functional.

Yesterday I stopped taking 5-HTP and Melatonin and they interact with Luvox. Also stopped taking B complex vitamins that I was taking for 3 days.

Really hopeful that the Luvox reinstatement will make me feel better and I will not need to be taking Clonazepam.

I am tapering Luvox too.  I finished a Klonopin taper two years ago. Having a real hard time with dizziness and anxiety at 16 mg.  I’m considering updosing on Luvox and using hydroxazine as needed. How are you doing? Did you find some relief?