Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

How do you take work leave of absence if needed?

[fa...]

Good Morning All,

I am wondering when the time comes if I need to take a leave of absence from work...how would I do that? I am grateful that I have a doctor who is willing to work with me on my taper and supports my progress. I do work in the healthcare field and I think it would be highly frowned upon if I have to disclose the reason for my leave. Even though I don't think they can legally fire you for admitting you are on a benzo...Corporate will always find a way to get around that.

Is there some way that I can use some other reason that is relatable (maybe vertigo or tinnitus), without having to disclose that I am withdrawing from a benzo? There seems to be many closed minded people that automatically make assumptions if they find out one is taking these types of drugs.

I would appreciate hearing from others who have taken time off from work and what you told HR and your superior. I'm not sure how much an employee needs to disclose, but at long as it fits in with my symptoms, I'm sure my doctor would fill out the paperwork necessary to support it.

I am hoping it will NOT come to this, but I have always been proactive, and would like to be prepared in the case that I need to at some point.

I apologize if this is not in the correct forum. I wasn't sure where to ask this question.

Hopefully you won't have to take leave, but if you feel you need to just be honest about your symptoms but don't blame the benzo. Mostly everyone gets vertigo, shakes, nausea etc. etc. Good Luck!

I ended up taking a personal unpaid leave (I had savings to cover it). However if you were to use paid short term disability, my insurance required me to see a psychiatrist (I was only seeing a family doc.). To get it covered it would have to be a mental health claim.  I think as long as your psychiatrist fills out the forms with convincing information about how your symptoms are debilitating your claim would be approved.

You would ask for FMLA and your employer is required to hold your position open for you until after the leave.

I was able to apply for intermittent FMLA and approved for anxiety . You don't and aren't required to disclose any health issues to anyone other than HR in your papers. My HR said when I felt the need to call in , just say FMLA. Pretty simple.

I was able to get 3 months off to rest and recover (short-term disability).  My psych wrote something about medication adjustment or medication tolerance.  In other words, I needed time to adjust my medication, to then stabilize, so I could eventually go back to work.  I never had to list any withdrawal/ taper from benzo. 

PM me if you live in the US and have additional questions.  It was not the easiest process in the beginning, but really worth it once I had the time off.

Good luck to you.

Thank you all so much for your replies. I found myself causing EXTRA unnecessary anxiety over something I may never have to face  (ahhh the story of my benzo life)  :D

I feel better already knowing that I don't have to tell my superiors the exact cause...although I am certain they will pry.

I have been stashing some money away in the case that I do have to take absence from work. Now I will research more about the differences between FMLA and personal leave. My limited understanding is that FMLA "guarantees" they hold your place at work, but disability they do not????

My OCD, neurotic, every worrying brain, wants to sort this out while I can still think semi-clearly. That way if the time comes I a prepared.

Look2Soul Thank you so much for your kind offer. If or when the time comes it would be lovely to be able to message you  :smitten:

Hi Faith

FMLA applies for either unpaid leave or disability medical leave.  It applies for either. Tell your employer you want FMLA, then apply for disability if you want that

I was a licensed massage therapist and ended up losing my business of 20 years. Luckily my spouse holds a license and took over all my clients plus works a second full time job so we can have insurance.