Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

My experience with Trazadone (a warning)

[So...]

I was prescribed Trazadone to be taken at a low dose before bed to sleep (12.5mg). My sleep was awful and I was getting 3 hours and waking wide awake in a panic at 3am a lot of nights. I wanted relief.

So the first night, I took the 12.5 and slept until 4:30am (pretty standard for me). I popped another 12.5mg and slept until 6:30am (a miracle). I felt fine all day and didn't have that horrible chemical/toxic am anxiety. I thought I found an insomnia cure.

Next night: I did the same thing but woke up earlier, popped another 12.5mg and couldn't fall back asleep. All day I felt awful - a wave - a new s/x where my whole body had inner tremors and my head fog was through the roof. It lasted all day and night.

Why am I even posting this? Just to share my bad experience with Trazadone (I was also considering using Remeron in the same way but thought Trazadone seemed "safer"). I will never take Trazadone again.

When I am feeling like garbage, I spend WAY too much time on BB - looking for a supplement or other drug to help. I realize for the most part, it does not exist (or we would all be taking it). I know everyone is different, but the best way to come off benzos are basic: eat healthy, distract, and taper slowly.

End of my Trazadone review.

Sober,

I have been taking Epsom Salts baths.  I have heard it really helps others a lot to rest and sleep at night.  20 minutes soaking in an Epsom Salts bath and you can buy Magnesium Oil to spray on your body after too.  Make sure you are getting enough Potassium in your body every day, that helps with sleep too.  We're supposed to have 4,500 mg of Potassium every day.  That is like 7 cups of salad and maybe an Avacado.  I am running out of the Mag Oil, I will have to buy more soon.  I'm going to try it again tonight before bed and see if it helps me.  This way you are not ingesting Magnesium but absorbing it and it won't harm you by this method. 

Some ppl say essential oils help too.  So far they have not helped me though.  But it is worth a try.

Thank you for these tips Hope. I have never been a bath guy but I do have Epson salts and I am going to take my first bath in a long time tonight - I guess a scoop or two is good?

How are you doing today?

Snd I eat loads of bananas too and just had an avocado with lunch :)

Good idea Sober.  Actually bananas do not have much potassium in them.  Potatoes have a ton as do Avacados.  Bananas also have a lot of sugar in them which is stimulating.

My hubby hates baths too!  Just to let you know.  He said he can see his body, water doesn't cover him up LOL.  It covers me up!!  hahaha. 

I put in like two to three cups of Epsom Salts in my bath but it really doesn't relax me as much as I had hoped, but least in this way you are absorbing Magnesium in a safe way.

I still have a headache.  I think it started with me taking Promethazine that Ashton suggests for sleep.  I think I'm sensitive to that stuff.  So we'll see if it wears off I'll know.  Did not take any last night.  But now what can I take to sleep ...so I'm eating more Potassium today and Avacado too.  And I will take that bath tonight. 

Wishing you the best. 

Thanks Hope. I don't know much about Promethazine but have heard about it. I hope the headache goes away soon. Can you take anything like Exerderin to help?

I will report on the bath later - guess I will get my dose of Magnesium tonight for sure!

Heya...I've been on Trazodone for 30 years,but for my depression as well as the additional restful sleep that they felt it offered me later on when I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia. I am fortunate that it has been a really good medicine for me,but as with a lot of medications, the longer I was on it the part that helped me go to sleep was sometimes non existant. A Therapist suggested to me years ago Sonata because it was not the same as the sleeping aids Lunesta,Ambien,etc on tolerance or addictive nature. I'm not 100% sure about that,but I did take the Sonata jst prn for many years and it just sort of "relaxed" me rather than make me feel like all of a sudden "slamming" me where I would feel almost sick or dizzy. It also allowed you to retake it if you woke in 3 to 4 hours. I never felt "drugged" or sluggish the following day when I did use it. I'm sorry that you have had such a bad experience with the Trazodone!  :'(

On the promethazine, it's generic for Phenergran and I have it for nausea/vomiting for migraines. It has a sedative effect,kind of like Benadryl or Vistaril (hydroxyzine). The hydroxyzine really has an effect on me that will make me so drowsy I will have to lay down and sleep a few hours if I take it during the daytime...it comes in both capsule or tablet and in different doses,like 25mg or 50mg. I've found the capsules more predictable on dose than the tablets personally. Be sure to read up on the phenergran tho because a lot of Drs local to me have replace it with Compozine (prochlorperazine),saying it was safer. I'm not really sure tho why.

The Magnesium Spray...wonderful! Be sure to get 100% Magnesium Chloride Flakes to make this...One cup of distilled water boiling on the stove and add one cup of the Magnesium Flakes to dissolve,then pour into a spray bottle and let cool. I watched a lot of Youtube Videos on this to aid me in my muscle issues,including intense cramps in my calves and feet.  Also I take a liquid magnesium at bedtime called "Magonate" which most pharmacies will order for you,but I've found online and bought for lesser price. The two Magnesiums come in different forms,so that you absorb it in the manner you are using it .When taking any oral Magnesium you run the risks of upset digestive tract,so be careful or you will not be sleeping due to sitting on the toilet!  ;)

Having IBS and my gall bladder removed years back I benefit most from liquid forms of any vitamins or nutirent supplements. Take a sublingual B Complex every morning,as well as a liquid multivitamin to help remedy this.

I adore the epsom salts with the lavender oil added,as it helps relax you and prevents itchy skin from the epsom salt drying you out. Lavender oil candles around the tub are beneficial as well,not only for the calming smell but minimal lighting while soaking too.

Hoping something I had to share will be helpful to you!  ;D ;D Wishing you some restful nights and undisturbed sleep!  :thumbsup:

:-\ On a side note I just thought of after I hit "post"...betting the prescriber went with the Trazodone because when researching it years ago I'd found it had been used also for Cocaine withdrawal. Just an afterthought....maybe they were thinking for insomnia during taper/post taper for that reason it would help.  :smitten: