Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
A Request for Help from Members BIC (Benzodiazepine Information Coalition) ×
  • Please Donate

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Donate with PayPal button

Propranolol still works great, anyone else using it?

[Ni...]

History:

2012 - 2016: clonazepam + 1 year taper.

2018 january  february: 10 mg diazepam + 3 week taper. Had no choice but to use a benzo again. It was that or off to the psych ward.

Now: Still suffering from anxiety but in a milder form, i am prone to panic attacks and i worry about everything all day long.

Today i had to digest some really bad news which caused a massive panic attack, my attacks send my body into complete overdrive causing me to stay ill for weeks, sometimes months. My body is oversensitive to stimuli. I do NOT recover within a few hours from a panic attack like most people do.

So, i took 10mg propranolol and behold, my body is feeling way more relaxed. My mind is still spinning but not as extreme.

Anyone else taking propranolol occasionaly for panic attacks?

So Thankful that it is working great for you.  It would not work at all for me.  Made me more hyper.  Atenolol did the same thing to me.  So happy for you. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Nick,

I think bcuz my chemistry changed thanks to Benzos.  I was able to take Atenolol years ago and it knocked me on my butt.  But this time, it did the opposite which I thought was insane.

That's strange! A paradoxical reaction perhaps?

No, not really.

my body is feeling way more relaxed. My mind is still spinning...

Beta blockers typically relieve many of the physcial sxs of withdrawal (tachycardia, tremors, etc.  And while they don't really have a psych effect, some  folks find just calming the physical sxs eases some of the emotional distress.

I would keep an eye on your blood pressure with propranolol added.  Not to scare you, but propranolol added to librium during detox lowered my blood pressure to a deathly level per a nurse.  Would this happen to everyone?  I am not saying that, but it is my truth.

[ff...]
It definitely worked for me, I had a stroke due to a too rapid taper resulting in a HR of 180 causing an abnormal rhythm which caused a clot in my heart which my high bp threw off into my brain , I still had to taper down and was given P to regulate my HR which it did. At almost 14 months off I don't need it anymore as its one of the few sxs that have gone. Now if it would only work on all the other nasties..... 

Good to hear propranalol is helping some of you guys too.

What a night.... because of the really bad panic attack i had yesterday, i jolted awake countless of times, like i was being electrocuted from the inside. My body is still super sensitive to stimuli and just a single a panic attack sets my body back for days or weeks.

I've been off clozepam for 3 years now and off a little diazepam-stint for 1 year now. Still suffering with this stupid oversensitized nervous system that renders me completely uncapable to do nything at times.

I will use a low dose of propranalol daily until things have settled down, then slowly taper the propranalol over a week or so.

P.s. Propranalol is not causing me any side effects. Blood pressure s normal. I'm only using a low dose, 5mg or 10 mg, when the anxiety or panic is extreme then i might go a bit higher to 20 max.

That's strange! A paradoxical reaction perhaps?

No, not really.

my body is feeling way more relaxed. My mind is still spinning...

Beta blockers typically relieve many of the physcial sxs of withdrawal (tachycardia, tremors, etc.  And while they don't really have a psych effect, some  folks find just calming the physical sxs eases some of the emotional distress.

Yes, it has a mild anxiolytic effect for me but it's more a physical calmness that i experience.

I'm planning to try an AD, if the AD + propranalol + occasionaly a low dose of baclofen will make me more functional then so be it, at least until my body has recovered a bit more from the benzo-damage. I MUST be able to handle stress, i need to get back to work. It's been 3 years and my nervous system has still not fully healed.