RESOLVED: Password Reset Bug Fixed ×
BenzoBuddies Activity Level Report ×
Let Your Voice be Heard! Researchers at Trinity College Dublin... ×

1.5 mg Valium jump off

[ca...]

You should add a signature showing how long you were on them and what dose you started on.  I guess it depends how are you are doing.  If the taper has been difficult I probably would make another 3 or 4 cuts.

Hi... IMO it's totally up to you.  I know people will probably say it's too much but I also think that only you know your body.  If you have accepted the fact that there will be a good chance that you will suffer for awhile with sxs and handle it, then you will know your answer.

People were telling me not to jump at approx .5 mgs but I couldn't stand it any longer so I did.

I definitely don't feel great but I feel better than I was on the poison. 

People also told me to do it.

These drugs are so mysterious and only you know what your body will endure or want.

Keep us posted.

Yes il look into doing a signiture. I was only taking 5mg oct nov dec last year. Came straight off in jan on docs orders and I was thrown into something I can hardly remember as it was that bad. My family thought I was dying and ive been hiding from the world ever since. Totally ruined what was a good life. I found out the problem and tried to stabilize on 2mg but Couldnt. I then updosed to 4mg which helped me be functional again to a point. Much the same as I am now.  Ive been cutting 0.5 since start of april and been on 1.5 for 2 weeks now. Im miles away from who I was but remain determined to be off and well by xmas if possible. Im so confused by all this. I have headaches, lethargy, spasms and contractions and seem to have had dp since jan. Anxiety seems managable and im able to go out more which I couldnt do in jan or feb. I should also add im under pressure to be off as my gp flatly refuses that this is withdrawal despite me sending loads of info. I have a obssesive thought that this process is killing me which makes it hard for me on top of all the crap. Hope I find you all as well as can be expected. What this has done to me is criminal. I need any help I can get. I was massively unstable until March

Just a word of caution, as you have had a rough time. Valium is very tricky, you may be taking 1.5mg but because of the very long half life, there is 5 to 8 times that circulating in your system.

Just a word of caution, as you have had a rough time. Valium is very tricky, you may be taking 1.5mg but because of the very long half life, there is 5 to 8 times that circulating in your system.

Just to piggy back on this... If you are feeling you want to jump at 1.5, maybe try 1.5 every other day for a little bit, then every 2nd day, and then every 3rd day... If you're still feeling 'ok' (so to speak), then the decision is yours, and only you can make that decision.  Some people have success with ct quits, and some have problems jumping at .25mg.  This poison varies so much from person to person.  Just be careful in what ever choice you make.

Jesus. I still have all that amount in my system? I honestly feel I cant win with this crap. Is my life at risk too? Thank you for helping me. Im just so trapped by all of this. I could always cut to 1mg this weekend and hold for a while. Then maybe 0.5 for a bit and do the skip days you suggested when on 0.5? What a nightmare.

Hi Cash... I just wanted to retract a bit of what I said earlier.  I do think that 1.5 mgs is too much to jump from... Chances are you will get really sick.  I do think that reducing more and holding will help.  I feel your pain... I know part of this awful journey is trying to be patient.. Try to accept it and then breathe.  By just jumping, it doesn't mean that your sxs will disappear... I have learned that.  I definitely feel better but not as good as I hoped I would be.

ScaredinMA... Could you please explain re the 8 times the amount???  I am curious about that.

Im curious about that too. Do people actually come off this stuff and regain lives? Im struggling to see how its possible. Ive felt like crap and felt unstable for 6 months now. I feel like im finished. The main motivation to get well for me apart from my family is so I can walk in my docs surgery and launch him through his window

If you've had trouble in the past jumping, I would say 1.5mg is too high. Slow and steady wins the race.  I jumped at .2mg after short term use and am stilling getting through post w/d over 5 months later.  I'm not saying this will be your timeline, but 1.5mg is still a pretty decent amount.

Jesus. I cant win with this drug. How bad is the mental stuff at 5 months out? You feel stable? Able to work? God help us all. I only have pills so can only cut 0.5 each time. Im gonna be a right mess I know it

Jesus. I cant win with this drug. How bad is the mental stuff at 5 months out? You feel stable? Able to work? God help us all. I only have pills so can only cut 0.5 each time. Im gonna be a right mess I know it

I only had 5mg pills as well and used a gram scale to dry cut all the way down.  .2mg was literally almost nothing by pill weight.  It was .006g pill weight on the scale.  It took some time but worked.  I would always measure about 6-8 times and used the 10g weight on the scale to preload it.  I would also reverse weigh it.  After I was done weighing it out, I would tare the scale with the weight on it and remove the pill weight to see what the negative number was. If that matched the positive number I was going for, I was done.  It's a bit obsessive but the last thing I wanted to do was get my weights wrong.

As far as sxs go,  it's not horrible, but the waves definitely come and go.  I'm getting much better than I was.  I've had to work throughout all of my taper and jump unfortunately.  The health anxiety has been by far the worst sx I've had. I've been pretty good over the past few months mostly around 80%-85% of baseline I would say but there are definitely periods where I still have bad symptoms.  Again though, everyone is different so hopefully you will have a great quick recovery!

I would cut more before jumping given all your symptoms. I know you want to be done- but more important is feeling well. Make a couple more cuts, spaced over time.

I agree it's criminal!!!

Also, you'll see in my sig that It only took me 1 month to go from 5mg to the 1.5mg where you are.  It took me another 2 months to go down from there before I jumped.

Seriously, you have time to take it slow and steady.

1.5mg at the end is a pretty big hit. 

My last cut of 1mg hit me pretty hard.

My plan is to jump off at around .5 and not until after I feel about as stable as I think I will get.

Good luck!

After banging my head against the wall long enough, I finally got it.

Especially with long half life benzos like valium, one needs to understand that there are two things happening, one is the dose you are taking and the other is the amount in you system. The dose you are taking is like the very small base/emitter current in a transistor that controls the much larger emitter/collector current. There can be 5 to 8 times as much of the drug in your system as the dose you are taking due to the 200 hr half life of the drug (it can be more or less, depending on genetic variances and your age). So lets say you are taking .5mg V/day, there can be 2.5 to 4 mg in your bloodstream, now when you make a .05mg cut and figure how can that almost homeopathic amount make any difference, it is really a .25 to .40 (1/4 to almost 1/2 mg) reduction in the amount of drug in your system. It is incredible how small of a change many of us can feel.

Add to that, the wd sx don't often show up for 5 days or more, and it can seem an impossible task. It is not, just go slow as necessary and you will get through it and you will heal and feel great again. I never thought I would get through it, after a hellish 7 months I got slammed at .8mg and had to hold for 2 months and then microtaper with liquid valium at the rate of .003mg (that's right, 3 micrograms) form January '15 to August 26th, 2015 when I walked off at .01mg, about 90% healed. Good luck, you will succeed!

After banging my head against the wall long enough, I finally got it.

Especially with long half life benzos like valium, one needs to understand that there are two things happening, one is the dose you are taking and the other is the amount in you system. The dose you are taking is like the very small base/emitter current in a transistor that controls the much larger emitter/collector current. There can be 5 to 8 times as much of the drug in your system as the dose you are taking due to the 200 hr half life of the drug (it can be more or less, depending on genetic variances and your age). So lets say you are taking .5mg V/day, there can be 2.5 to 4 mg in your bloodstream, now when you make a .05mg cut and figure how can that almost homeopathic amount make any difference, it is really a .25 to .40 (1/4 to almost 1/2 mg) reduction in the amount of drug in your system. It is incredible how small of a change many of us can feel.

Add to that, the wd sx don't often show up for 5 days or more, and it can seem an impossible task. It is not, just go slow as necessary and you will get through it and you will heal and feel great again. I never thought I would get through it, after a hellish 7 months I got slammed at .8mg and had to hold for 2 months and then microtaper with liquid valium at the rate of .003mg (that's right, 3 micrograms) form January '15 to August 26th, 2015 when I walked off at .01mg, about 90% healed. Good luck, you will succeed!

ScaredinMA,

Congrats on your taper!

When you say 90% healed, you mean?

I think that I will have a hard time recognizing "normal" again.  It's been a long, long time.

It's totally different with every person. I got a pretty bad withdrawal when I went from 1.5 mg to 1.25. I'm still holding and waiting for the withdrawals to ease up at this point.I have to go really slow. But maybe you can handle it. I don't know. 1.5 mg sounds pretty big of a dose to jump off of, for me anyway.  Good luck! But don't do anything rash just because you are sick of all of it running your life. You have come so far! Don't give up! Actually I don't know how far you have come because I don't know where you started. But good luck what ever you decide! :thumbsup:

Atro, I mean: no more horrible chemical anxiety and akathisia; no more bottomless depression; no more constant suicidal thoughts; sleep went from 0-2hrs/night to 6-8hr/night; no more 1-3am cortisol rushes; no more dizziness, nausea, headaches, smell distortions, blurry vision; no more miserable epigastiric and lower GI pain; no more irrational fear of everything; started feeling like myself again and able to enjoy music, tv etc.

In the first couple months after taper I did still have muscle aches and pains, some mild tingling and crawling sensations in the right side of my neck and back, and increased tinnitus. At this point, almost 10 months out, the only thing I still have is an increase in the level of tinnitus compared to pre benzo levels (i did have tinnitus for about 7 years before benzos), and it has gotten better than during the taper and some days it is pretty close to pre benzo levels.

My taper took 17 months, but I was a short term user (just under 5 months). Hang in there, it's a long road but completely doable, and you will recover.

I'm just beginning my V taper but I'll chime in and recommend cutting further too. I'm not planning to jump until 0.5 mg. The setback isn't worth it if we fail. It's hard enough to go at the pace that my doctor is dictating, but I'm trying to tough it out and hope it all works out. But no, I wouldn't jump at 1.5 if I were in your shoes.

Something I'd recommend as an aside is to do some reading on something called negativity bias. We're all wired to focus on negative things to protect ourselves, but those of us who have anxiety do it to the point that it's debilitating. You can train your mind to seek the positive things instead, and that has been really helpful for me in the daily just-getting-through-it. It's not a lifesaver when you're having an actual panic attack or anything, but it really does help.

For instance, instead of thinking about the hell you're going through, focus on the good moments that you had that day and on the fact that you'll soon be benzo-free. Even if you have protracted withdrawal symptoms after the fact, that's a short period of time in a long life. It's temporary and you'll be stronger once you've survived it.

The fear of the benzos killing you -- drop that thought like it's a hot potato. There are tons of people that actually have to take them long-term (lifelong!) at even high dosages for seizure disorders and other conditions. You could hurt yourself more with a too-soon jump than you ever could by taking your time and cutting slowly.

Whatever you choose has to be up to you, but I hate to hear you stressing yourself out unnecessarily. Relax and take good care of yourself as you do this. You will make it through no matter what. Think calm, think patient, think healing. You are stronger than you think.