RESOLVED: Password Reset Bug Fixed ×
BenzoBuddies Activity Level Report ×
Let Your Voice be Heard! Researchers at Trinity College Dublin... ×

HELP!!! Went C/T 3 weeks ago and now going to be given Antipsychotics

[Th...]

Hey Folks,

So before I left for Mexico, my GP prescribed Klonopin 1mg daily for insomnia with no info about side effects or withdrawal or tapering. It made me feel terribly foggy with immediate cognitive impairment and memory functions. I stopped eating and lost 15 lbs, and perhaps  (Paradoxical Stimulant Effects) which never allowed me to sleep for more than an 1 1/2 per night. After 3 weeks of taking either 1, 1/2 or on 2 occasions 2mgs in an effort to get some sleep, I threw out the bottle assuming they were simply sleeping pills and had a massive c/t withdrawal after. I experienced psychosis, not sure which but tremors, tics, convulsions, akathesia or stereotypy (depending on the source) but I would jerk from stressful thoughts. I had massive delusions, suicidal ideation,  worsening cognitive impairment and memory loss and severe panic attacks nearly everyday. Depression and anxiety came back with a furious vengeance nearly every day (Had 2 really good days in Mexico over the following month and a half). I had a panic attack so severe that I jumped on a plane (shaking all the way back throughout the ride) and my family is bringing me to a psychiatrist, saying that the Klonopin simply was a catalyst for Bi-polar depression (I broke up with my fiancée before I was prescribed the Klonopin, so was naturally bummed from a broken heart) and had taken .25 Xanax 3 times prior to being prescribed K and had weird reactions each time resulting in cloudy thinking and strange thoughts each time.

Other psychiatrists said there was no way to withdraw after 3 weeks, but I don't think it's true. It's been a living hell to say the least, and everyone's freaked out by my involuntary movements... 

I fear that only 3 weeks into withdrawal that my symptoms are being misdiagnosed as Bipolar Mania and I think I will be put on an antipsychotics over the next few days and I am so afraid of worsening effects from these drugs as well as withdrawal from them which could worsen what I am already going through. Also, is it possible to have Serotonin Syndrome 3 weeks after? There's so much information and my life is falling apart in every way imaginable. I am at bottom and everyone is telling me to trust them, but trust is what got me to take Klonopin thinking they were simply sleeping pills to begin with. I keep thinking that I am simply F*cked/Bad Karma and should hold on for the ride. Can antipsychotics help with c/t withdrawal? 

I have windows but the waves are so intense and having been twitching in a beachtown in Mexico has destroyed my confidence. I am at bottom, back in my family home like a scared nuisance and so confused, if anyone can help. How do I convince my family or the Psychiatrist to take c/t withdrawal into consideration before prescribing me something that may increase all these symptoms or continue to give me other terrible side effects? I feel this misprescribing of Klonopin is going to take me down a terrible spiral of drugs and with panic attacks and shaking, I am afraid I will never work again. I also have ruminations of my ex, so I am not sure if Bipolar was triggered.

Any wisdom is well appreciated.

Blessings to all who know how terrible this journey of c/t withdrawal is.

You may want to provide a signature.

Klonopin is such a horrible drug.

'Can antipsychotics help with c/t withdrawal?  ' Most of the time, it intensifies benzo withdrawal.

That psychiatrists diagnose benzo w/d related symptoms and benzo adverse effects as an underlying illness is typical. I would suggest not to fall for it.

I don't think you're going to convince the average psychiatrist. As for your family, you can provide them with information (on the forum or feel free to ask for help).

Drugs 'unmasking' 'underlying' bipolar disorder, depression, schizophenia etc. is such a crock. Remask that 'underlying' (?) issue rather than start taking pills.

Is it against forum rules to say that psychiatrists are not real doctors, or that psychiatric 'illnesses' are not real illnesses but based on the subjective opinion of a psychiatrist ?

Hey Liberty,

Did the Signature... New to the site, thanks Bruv.

I'm so scared everything is about to get worse. I arrived from Mexico twitching and anxious off the plane, and I just keep talking about how terrible this withdrawal process is and no one seems to really grasp the severity of c/t withdrawal, "professional" or otherwise. I have to go to this appointment tomorrow as my family said I was in crisis, and I'm not sure if I have had bipolar disorder due to a very crazy year of change, but it all feels more like complex grief with a bad reaction to the Klonopin.

I am terrified that the twitching and suicidal ideation will get worse and can't seem to see many changes in 3 weeks in. I haven't really slept, so my verbal acuity is so off, I fail to see how I can convince anyone of anything at this stage. If I am given anti-psychotics and things get worse, I don't know if I can carry on, especially if I have to get off them.

I have read so much on Klonopin withdrawal and retained only a bit due to the memory loss. I feel like I am about to go deeper down the rabbit hole. All the "pros" seem to say this is "mood instability" but I am consistently having panic attacks and twitching so I'm desperate to feel a sense of normalcy. I feel so hopeless and suicidal ideation seems convincing, especially if I will experience worsening symptoms.

I came back a wreck, asked for help and was just thrown into the world of p-docs that tell me to trust the process. I have no idea who to trust, but your words are incredibly convincing and I know how drug companies and p-docs destroy lives for profit. If I have to wait months/years to work again I don't really see a way ahead, as now I'm a burden to my family.

Is there a website that proves that anti-psychotics will or won't make withdrawal worse? I am having a panic attack everyday and as a medical massage therapist who has wild arm movements and head movements, and cognitive impairment, I don't really have any hope.

My heart is broken, my body is f*cked and my mind is fractured... I just wanted to get a good night's rest. Holding on for dear life here and in need of some more wisdom at my lowest point because I feel these antipsychotics will push me over the edge. I can't just lay on the couch and be unemployed and wait this out. My family will kick me out and then I will have zero options...

So much love to my fellow healing souls.

Thank you so much!!!

I will send that out and hope to receive a response.

If the withdrawal gets worse, I couldn't handle it. I hope that helps my case.

Bless your heart

I'm so sorry you're going through this.  I also cold turkeyed and know exactly how you feel. In my opinion you should not take any other drugs that are offered.  You are in withdrawal and most doctors do NOT recognize this.  In my experience the drugs I tried made things much worse luckily I only stayed on them a very short time some only a few days.  Since you are a short term user things may start to improve sooner than later.  Also the Ashton manual is a great resource and you may want to share it with your doctor and loved ones.

The first thing you should do, if you have not already done so, is to accept those withdrawals, because if you continually fight them, the more tired, and the more weary, and the more hopeless you will become, and then you will begin to believe that you are never going to heal.  I want you to know you will get through this. All that you're going through now is temporary.  Keep moving forward - time is a healer!

Hey Liberty,

Did the Signature... New to the site, thanks Bruv.

I'm so scared everything is about to get worse. I arrived from Mexico twitching and anxious off the plane, and I just keep talking about how terrible this withdrawal process is and no one seems to really grasp the severity of c/t withdrawal, "professional" or otherwise. I have to go to this appointment tomorrow as my family said I was in crisis, and I'm not sure if I have had bipolar disorder due to a very crazy year of change, but it all feels more like complex grief with a bad reaction to the Klonopin.

I am terrified that the twitching and suicidal ideation will get worse and can't seem to see many changes in 3 weeks in. I haven't really slept, so my verbal acuity is so off, I fail to see how I can convince anyone of anything at this stage. If I am given anti-psychotics and things get worse, I don't know if I can carry on, especially if I have to get off them.

I have read so much on Klonopin withdrawal and retained only a bit due to the memory loss. I feel like I am about to go deeper down the rabbit hole. All the "pros" seem to say this is "mood instability" but I am consistently having panic attacks and twitching so I'm desperate to feel a sense of normalcy. I feel so hopeless and suicidal ideation seems convincing, especially if I will experience worsening symptoms.

I came back a wreck, asked for help and was just thrown into the world of p-docs that tell me to trust the process. I have no idea who to trust, but your words are incredibly convincing and I know how drug companies and p-docs destroy lives for profit. If I have to wait months/years to work again I don't really see a way ahead, as now I'm a burden to my family.

Is there a website that proves that anti-psychotics will or won't make withdrawal worse? I am having a panic attack everyday and as a medical massage therapist who has wild arm movements and head movements, and cognitive impairment, I don't really have any hope.

My heart is broken, my body is f*cked and my mind is fractured... I just wanted to get a good night's rest. Holding on for dear life here and in need of some more wisdom at my lowest point because I feel these antipsychotics will push me over the edge. I can't just lay on the couch and be unemployed and wait this out. My family will kick me out and then I will have zero options...

So much love to my fellow healing souls.

i am sorry you are feeling so badly. I did a cold turkey withdrawal myself so I know firsthand how severe the symptoms can be during the acute period, and the first couple of months. You are not alone. Many of us here have been brought to our knees with torment. Suicidal ideation is not uncommon, and it can be frightening. If you feel you would ever act on your thoughts, please reach out  for help.

Here's a link to resources you can call for support:  Self Harm Support.  I urge to call someone when you're feeling like this.

Hi there! So sorry for you. I also cold turkeyed and got remedicated with a antipsychotic. Everyday I wish I didn't take it. Because I think that now, 13 months after my cold turkey I would be much better if not for the antipsychotic.

You are in acute right now, which is the hardest period but it gets better! If you could just hold on with everything you got, it will get better.

I will say my acute phase took 28 days. So 4 weeks, and I felt the same way as you did at week 3, no change and no hope. I'm not saying it will be the same as me, we don't know how long your acute will take. I want to say that it could get better soon.

Did you ever do acupuncture? It helps me sleep.

I am so grateful for the responses.

The insights are overwhelmingly helpful and being in such a panic much of the time, it's so hard to make wise decisions and see life clearly. I think anti-psychotics, or anything that will mess with my CNS to be highly unwise.

The weirdest side effect has been these flashbacks of poor choices (taking the Klonopin without doing research, breaking up with my Ex, leaving Mexico, etc..) that I've made and instead of convulsing/twitching, I find these images dominate my mind's eye and I find myself yelling,"Oh God", "F#CK", or,"I can't believe I did that", sometimes accompanied with convulsions but less so since I've returned. My family is trying to sit and watch TV or are going to bed and I can't help myself but get overwhelmed by these visions and yelling a repetitive phrase. Is this Stereotypy?

I used meditate since I was 2 years old, and was able to get into deep trance, but as I slow my mind down, the images of failure and regret permeate and become these conscious terrors often resulting in full blown panic attacks. I've started sleeping more since I got back from Mexico, but anything that triggers negative past experiences (a TV commercial, a possession from my past, California) gets me to this horrible place where I have to scream out loud. How can a drug I took for 3 weeks be doing this? What is this phenomena?

What you're experiencing is withdrawal from a mind altering drug that affects the entire nervous system.  Benzo withdrawals are indeed a phenomenon that is so very hard to grasp and so very hard to understand.  Yes, it's going to be terrible for a little bit, but you CAN do it and you WILL be able to live a normal life again. The pain and horror are only temporary, and you will make it to the light again. Just hang in there. Just keep on going you are healing, your improved sleep is a sign of this.