Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

Post Benzo Freedom Withdrawal Support Group

[ve...]

Hey Star,

Benzo rage seems to grip us all sooner or later; just try to stop it before it goes too far!!  I think I'm more prone to surliness & general anger now, more than even at the beginning of my hell.  I think part of it is I'm just so sick and tired of feeling sick and tired and I'm taking it out on others.  What's that called, "displaced anger"? 

Anyway, try to take some deep breaths now and then!!

Patty -- still?? Crap. I feel for you!

V(NM) - Keep up the good work!! And sorry, but I'm still falling asleep on the job. Luckily the job ends next Friday!

be well, all -

ginger

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [ve...]

• [gi...]

• [pa...]

• [An...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I started walking every day and after three days of better choices and healthier eating, BP was normal twice.  Need to do this consistently. 

Hey Ginger.  You can displace your anger here anytime :laugh:

Cheers,

Vertigo (no more)

I started walking every day and after three days of better choices and healthier eating, BP was normal twice.
So great to hear, V that your BP has improved! :)

I too, enjoy walking (and bicycle riding), and I've always noticed an improvement in s/xs, or just mood in general after a good walk. The beautiful scenery we have here in the PacNW is a real plus when excercising! I do recall that Atlanta has some awfully beautiful scenery also!

Hoping you have a more restful week! :thumbsup:

Hey Pangelingua.  Good to hear from you.  You're lucky to have not only beautiful scenery in the Northwest but also probably low humidity and heat! I've been walking every morning for about 30-45 minutes though.  I'm hoping that exercise will turn around a bad week :D.  We're having a heat wave here like much of the country so after 10:00AM, forget it :tickedoff:.  How are the swim lessons going? 

Take care,

V (NM)

hi V!

My son's doing very well and he just advanced a level! He's been working on his back stroke and can do this fairly well... his only problem is that he tends to turn while swimming, and the instructor has to guide him straight, but otherwise, he's putting all efforts into it! I've got to hand it to my son, he may be a bit uncoordinated, but he has lots of self-confidence and doesn't get hung up on what other people think when he's trying something new. He's left handed and that can be a challenge only in that most things are designed for right-handers. He seems adaptable to using his right hand to compensate. Both my children are unique in their own ways and I'm very proud of both of them! :smitten:

Sorry to hear about all the bad weather... It seems that every time I log on to weather.com, I see a forecast for the mid-eastern section of the country for hot weather this year. We've been lucky (depending on how one prefers summer temps) to have had a very mild summer so far... Only 2 heat waves that were short. It looks like we might be due for some hotter temps this weekend. Our garden has had a late start, but now we're starting to get our tomatoes, and boy are they delicious! We've also had a good crop of blueberries and lettuce... the blackberries in our area are coming out and I've been out picking those as well.

Waking is about the best excercise I can think of for stress, especially around beautiful nature... I also have a mountain bike that I'll take down to a bike/walking trail down the block. I remember that back when I had severe medication imbalances, I constantly felt an urge to get out and walk, bike, or do anything to keep my blood circulating. I do think that a good excercise routine will benefit you tremendously, V!

There is also some thoughts I'd like to add about 'benzo rage' reply's that I Stardust, Stoneyco, and Ginger posted earlier. I agree that these fits can be quite troublesome at times and these will take time to settle. I too have had this as one of my symptoms, especially after I began my taper early last year. I will say though, that I have suffered through periods in my life (and especially after being on benzos constantly for a period of time), when I was out of touch with my feelings and tended to keep things inside instead of expressing myself. If there is one good thing about these 'benzo rage' episodes (as long as they don't get out of hand) it's that I finally feel like I'm allowing myself to say and express things with people in my day to day life that I haven't been acapable of doing for quite some time. Again, as long as it doesn't get out of hand (I had an incident a while back ago when I threw an empty ink printer cartridge accross the kitchen stove and leftover ink went everywhere!), it sometimes can feel theraputic to finally be letting off some steam! Let me know what you all think... Above all 'the rage' is part of our mind's way of rebalancing after having emotions dampened down for so long. Having a supportive spouse is certainly a bonus also!

Hope everyone is having a great weekl! :)

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering about memory problems. I have been off quite a few months and doing really well. My only lingering problem seems to be my memory, or lack of it. I've been ignoring the issue and playing it off thinking it will go away, but now I'm getting a little concerned. It's like I can think of something and I turn around to do it and I literally forget what I was going to do! All in a matter of a few seconds :(. Or someone will tell me something and I forget it almost right away.

I can also, on many days, lose whole chunks of time. I don't recall (no pun intended) having this bad of a problem when on Ativan, seems to have gotten worse during my taper. I'm trying really hard not to let it get to me, but honestly I can feel myself getting depressed about it - its like a constant struggle and making excuses for myself is getting old and tiring :(

Can this still be w/d? Or do I need to face facts and realize my memory is shot and just deal with it?

Best,

icandothis

Hi Ican.  I believe that it is possible to have some lingering cog/fog or memory issues post benzos.  Of course there may be other factors to consider that could impact memory such as age, diet, other medications or supplements taken, if you're getting enough sleep, exercise, alcohol consumption...  I personally have noticed some memory improvement the last few months (today is 9 months off for me :yippee:), although there are still days where for the life of me, I can't remember something. Just this morning, I woke up from a fairly vivid dream but could not recall some details of it no matter how hard I tried :tickedoff:. I also seem to have some difficulty with recalling the content of some books I read last year during taper :idiot:.  I wonder if that is typical of others experience?  I'm trying to exercise more now and I hope that the increase oxygen to the brain will help improve things.  Also, I think its never too late to exercise the brain to improve it.  Prof Ashton may have recommended this.  Doing crosswords, sudoku puzzles, or even taking some IQ tests (for fun) can get your mind moving again.  I think there are also many good books out there on improving memory and cognitive functions.  People who have strokes and lose their functional language skills are often able to relearn many cognitive skills so there's always hope.

Pange, good to hear that your son is enjoying his swim lessons.  Glad you are able to enjoy spending time with your family this summer.  It sounds like you live in a beautiful area with many opportunities for getting close to nature.  My wife and I would like to visit the Northwest again some day.  It's awesome that you are able to grow so many things yourself.  Thanks for sharing your insights about benzo rage.  I agree that it's a good thing to start to express feelings rather than holding them inside.  It seems part of the process is to go through a stage where the temper and patience may not be as developed after benzos than we would like, but we'll get eventually get there :thumbsup:.  Now don't throw anything at me :laugh:.

Best to all,

Vertigo (no more)

Hi everyone!

Icandothis: Memory has been a problem for me also for awhile. Whenever I have any plans or something important I have to do, I always tell my wife and then write it down on the calendar. I juts don't trust my short term memory all the time! I do agree with vertigo that there are many other factors which can have an effect on memory. Add to this the stress of w/d from a medication and it can take a toll on the mind temporarily. I seem to go back and forth all the time with these kinds of things. I go through periods where I'm just exhausted, can't remember much and just basically feel unmotivated. Then, out of the blue, I'm painting my deck, cleaning the living room, clipping the hedge, cooking food on the grill, taking drives, doing wall repair.... breath, breath ,breath!!

Above all. Icandothis, don't be hard on yourself!! Realize that you've been through a lot and your mind and body just need time to heal! Try to establish more connections within yourself and that will help you to be more at ease with your situation... Sometimes, I find myself getting upset over issues until I stop and take the time to take stock on what things have been going on throughout the week. Journaling is an excellent way of discovering that. It helps your mind to keep connected because you can go back to your journal and read about it. The subconscious mind has a wonderful ability to retain bits and pieces of thoughts and feelings. The only problem is, if the conscious mind is not aware of these, the subconscious has a way of 'sneaking up' to try to tell you something that you're only vaguely aware of. That can create confusion and hence, the anxiety...

Vertigo has offered some great advise about cross words and other things that you can do to strengthen your mind and memory. I just happen to be a cross word fan when I'm on break at work, and I will say that it's a great way to get your mind thinking! I also enjoy reading travel pictorials... We go to the library on a weekly basis and I enjoy checking out lots of books there, all for free!!

Hi V!

Thanks for the heads up on Ibmom. I sent her a couple of replys on the other blog... She sounds like she's in better spirits today!

Don't worry about any more ink cartridge throwing... Ink has a tendency to get all over me when I make that mistake!!! :laugh:

Take care all,

pangelingua

Hey Vertigo and other Buddies,

Just thought I'd chime in. I've been 15 months of Xanax, about 75 days off of Vicodin and 26 days off of Ambien, the latter of which is my all-time nemesis and was nearly the death of me.

In the 26 days since fending off my last real demon, I've noticed some improvement already. Sleep is poor but I am able to get to sleep within a half hour almost every night. I'm getting about 4 to 5 hours of sleep and that hasn't really increased yet, though I am able to nap some afternoons. I so long for the day that I can get 6 or 7 hours sleep. And I'd kill for 8 or 9 hours sleep. But from what I've heard, sleep is one the things that comes back pretty slowly. Disrupted sleep from abusing a hard-core sleeping pill -- who knew?!?  ;)

Another main symptom is back muscle pain. It's pretty severe but I've managed to keep working. The pain is related to an injury but it's quite a bit worse now post-benzos and I'm really, really, really hoping it will settle down some as I heal.

My last really brutal symptom is severe morning anxiety, which I've posted about a few times, though it's starting to get a touch better. At least I'm out of bed at 7:30 to 8:30 am, whereas a month or so ago, sometimes I just couldn't function until after noon. And I'd say that I've gone from feeling just scared to death in the morning a few weeks ago, to just very anxious now.

Pesky lesser symtoms are starting to abate now:  Chills, sweating, headaches and toothaches are all already nearly a thing of the past. Sneezing, itching and blurry vision are hanging on a little bit more but improving. Oh and motivation is still very low. Why is it so much more compelling to post on BBs than it is to do my work from the same office, same chair, same computer?

Truth be told in a word, I'd say I still feel like crap... just a little bit less crappy. Though my wife says I seem more and more like my old self. I think she's being more kind than totally honest but at least she's very sweet and very supportive. I was embarrassed to do so, but I've told my 20-year-old son all about what I'm going through too and he's also been very supportive... even squeezes my sore back muscles whenever I ask.

Hey V, this is a great thread, my man!!! So excuse me for reiterating stuff you've heard before... but I really wanted to be part of the post-benzos club.  8) 8) :yippee:8) 8)

Though, paraphrasing what Groucho said, I'm not really sure I want to be part of a club that would have me as a member.

All my best to you all,

Albie

Hi Albie!

Congradulations on being benzo free!!! :yippee:

Wow!! What a med history you had especially with all the cold trurkey tapers! So glad to hear that you are coping well and that symptoms are lessening. Sorry to hear about the back injury. I don't have any injuries like that but I do know how bad the muscle pain can be at times. I have some circulation problems in my left leg that I think were compounded by working at a job that required me to stand for long periods of time in one spot and also wear skid-resistant boots. I tend to get some nerve tingling there. The funny thing is that nerve tingling was never a problem for me pre-benzo.

Anyway, so glad you could join us!! Always nice to have a new 'post benzo freedom' member share in the journey! This is a great thread and you will get lots of encouragement and commradery here!

Wishing you much peace and happines!!

pangelingua

Hi pangelingua,

Right back atcha with a hearty congrats!!!  So you've been benzo-free since February.  :thumbsup: That's awesome.  :thumbsup: February kinda jumped out at me because I was in detox/rehab in Feb and March and would have been benzo-free since Feb 20th had I stuck with it. Instead, I made the bad mistake of thinking I could have an occasional Ambien. Before I knew it, it was needed every night and I had to do this w/d thing all over again!  I can't help but wonder, how are you feeling now at nearly 6 months benzo-free?  Are you symptoms markedly improved over say, 1 month out? I'm envious to say the least. Way to go!!!

Yes BBs is awesome! I've found my new buddies to be an fantastic support group... really like an extended family.

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! 

Best wishes on your continued success and healing,

Albie

Thanks Albie for the awsome reply!! :thumbsup:

I do have some subtle differences after being 6 months off. Mostly it has to do with confidence and not being so worried about how I might feel from day to day. All throughout my taper last year I had periods where I would worry about how my body would handle the next cut, being off, etc. Things are much more predictable now. I do still suffer from nerve pain/tingling. Mostly, it affects the right side of my head and left leg. It can be bothersome at times, (on the order of a bad headache) but I have learned to accept the symptoms as they come and go and they always go away eventually. I have noticed as I have gotten older (I'll be 44 later this year), that there are subtle aches, pains, and lack of energy that start to creep up on you that are simply part of the aging process and may or may not be benzo related. I simply aknowledge that these pains are like that too, except that they will fade with time...

By the way, I too had some prescriptions with ambien. During the times I took klonopin, eventually, I would reach a point where my sleep got to be real flacky. Either I would have trouble falling asleep, or I would wake early and not go back to sleep. This became such an issue for me that I would report this to my doctor with the hopes that he could guide me further. Both doctors in their infinite wisdom (and I use the term sarcastically), thought that ambien was just what I needed, so they eagerly prescribed this for me with the instructions that I should only use it 2 or 3 times a week. My last bout with that was between Sept-Nov 2008 and at first, it would help but over time, I just became more and more depressed until the inter-dose w/d from klonopin kicked in around Nov 7 2008. True to form, the doctors were convinced that it was 'just my anxiety' again. As I look back, it is pretty obvious to me what was really going on. To this day, I am eternaly greatful that I discovered Ashton's manual and the means of support that she provides in her literature. She truly was  my BIBLE for help in recognizing and dealing with symptoms of benzo related illness.

Sorry to hear about the troubles you've been through my friend! We here are all coming from the same place and we all have the same destination... So glad you found us!!

Take care and have a great weekend!

Thank you Vertigo and Pange - many wise words :)  Your right about being hard on myself -I can be my worst critic!

I'm feeling so much better today, the worst memory loss seems to have come with a mild depression and overall crabby attitude this past week- which has lifted as of this morning.  :yippee:

thanks again for you support and kind words. Sometimes that's all I need to get back on track :)

icandothis

Welcome to the post benzo freedom support group Albie and Lptc01 :thumbsup:.   It's nice to have some new folks on board :yippee:.  We're here to support each other as we continiue on the healing path.  We know there are going to be bumps, setbacks, waves... but there are also windows and at least for me, the sense that the more time and distance put between the last benzo dose and any given day is a better day on some level.  

Hey Ican.  Glad the memory issues and mood downturn was only temporary.  Sometimes we just wake up on the wrong side and have to ride it out.  

Albie, hope the back is doing better today.  I think it's great that you can openly share with your 20 year old son about your experience.  Exposing a vulnerable side as a parent can sometimes bring us closer to our children and what a blessing to teach them to stay away from benzodiazepenes!

Hey Pange.  Aches and pains at 44?  You old man :pokey:;D!  I'll be 49 soon and I know what you mean about things creeping up.  Seems like yesterday I was turning 39 :).  Actually it doesn't.  My taper last year feels like it was a lot longer than a year ago for some reason.  39 feels like it could be 20 years ago, not 10.  Then again, I've been through a number of moves, near death of a parent, birth of a child, benzo addiction and taper!!!  The whole benzo experience seems to have aged me, although its not been all negative.  Afterall, I've gotten to meet all of you folks!   The benzo "nightmare" has in some ways increased my compassion for others and also provided insight into my late mother's benzo use and anxiety disorder.   So I'm pretty much done regretting and resenting the benzo experience.   It is what it is.   By the way Pange, I think its astute to mention that not all your aches and pains are necessarily benzo related! I think part of the healing process is to gradually blame less on benzos as we take our lives back day by day :thumbsup:.

Best wishes,

V (no more)

Happy Birthday V!!! :yippee:

Is that 49 or 29? If you should see any greys, just do what I do: tell yourself you earned every one of them!!

In your last reply you stated things the way I feel to a 'T'. Now that the benzo thing is over, I feel like I can get back to dealing with my true self and work on the problems I had that developed pre-benzo... I can see that 4 years ago, there was a lot going on, especially at work. having to deal with a hostile work environment day after day and then not feeling like I had the confidence to promote or do anything else besides the job I had was a real morality buster. This is where I was at 4 years ago pre-ativan and as I re-assess my situation at that time it's no wonder I started having panic attacks and a re-occurence of DP/DR. I have also come to believe that far from being 'some vodo curse that was put on me' as I was apt to feel when the attacks started, it was simply my minds way of telling me that it was time to move on. This just goes to show how out of touch I was with myself. It is also the reason why when helping others on the forum who are really struggling, I remind them to take stock of their situations every week, journal, and keep their mind connections going. When the mind has lost connection with self, it is going to try drastic measures to communicate with the rest of you (such as things like panic attacks, DP/DR, etc) and if you're awareness of self is low, you are more apt to misinterpret what your mind is telling you and then anxiety is created.

It is true, V, as you so well stated that this situation with benzos, hasn't been all negative and the amount of compassion that we have for others has increased tenfold!! I do belive that people who go through life too casually end up taking a lot of things for granted... I once had a supervisor tell me that wisdom is created through experience and experience from..... making mistakes!!

Anyway V, and everyone on the board, I hope you are all having a great weekend! It's been a real scorcher here in Longview. We hit 100 degrees yesterday! Of course, we don't have the humidity like they do in the south... I spent 3 years in Jacksonville, FL and I can still remember taking showers and never being able to dry off!!

Take care all!

pangelingua

Happy Birthday V,

I am excerpting your post, in part, from another post because I thought it SO captured the essence of what many of us go through on a psychological level while going through withdrawal and the reasons why.

I think it is very "normal" for you to be asking these questions now as you continue to heal from your taper and after many years of using chemicals to escape.  

People self medicate through so many ways, from pot and alcohol in the early years, progressing to perhaps other things as they become available all while possibly acquiring other addictions along the way  like food, sex, gambling, compulsive shopping... We all have our vices since we are human and we all make mistakes.

No doubt your posts have rung a bell with many here who have tapered off the benzo recently or perhaps finishing up and wondering who we really are now after maybe decades of running away or escaping from ourselves.  

We may long for the old medicated self which was familiar because it was comfortable and known.  Pre benzo anxiety and angst eventually resurfaces because we no longer have a tiny pill to cover up our real emotions, thoughts and feelings as we press on and get a glimpse of self that we may have not spent much time with.  

Now instead of a pill masking layers of our personality, we need to try and rely on our own inner strength and abilities to get through life's daily stresses.  

It's not easy for sure.   I get the feeling sometimes of taking two steps forward and then 1, 2 or 3 steps back.  Some days are better than others.  

Yet, what better reward from our hard work of getting off these medications than to try and reconnect with a part of our being that we have long forgotten.  Maybe now is the time to try to reevaluate who we are and what we truly want for ourselves in life.   Like everything new, there is probably going to be some fear when we feel we are losing that familiar drug addicted self,  but with patience and acceptance may lie a tremendous opportunity to rediscover who we may be.

This is incredible, V.  You've captured the complete essence of everything I've been thinking and feeling the past few days. It's truly uncanny. I am so glad to have read this post... while feeling exactly this way... I couldn't have expressed it so perfectly.

Thanks for this wonderful post. This one's spooling to the printer.   :)

Albie

Hey Vertigo and other Buddies,

Just thought I'd chime in. I've been 15 months of Xanax, about 75 days off of Vicodin and 26 days off of Ambien, the latter of which is my all-time nemesis and was nearly the death of me.

In the 26 days since fending off my last real demon, I've noticed some improvement already. Sleep is poor but I am able to get to sleep within a half hour almost every night. I'm getting about 4 to 5 hours of sleep and that hasn't really increased yet, though I am able to nap some afternoons. I so long for the day that I can get 6 or 7 hours sleep. And I'd kill for 8 or 9 hours sleep. But from what I've heard, sleep is one the things that comes back pretty slowly. Disrupted sleep from abusing a hard-core sleeping pill -- who knew?!?  ;)

Another main symptom is back muscle pain. It's pretty severe but I've managed to keep working. The pain is related to an injury but it's quite a bit worse now post-benzos and I'm really, really, really hoping it will settle down some as I heal.

My last really brutal symptom is severe morning anxiety, which I've posted about a few times, though it's starting to get a touch better. At least I'm out of bed at 7:30 to 8:30 am, whereas a month or so ago, sometimes I just couldn't function until after noon. And I'd say that I've gone from feeling just scared to death in the morning a few weeks ago, to just very anxious now.

Pesky lesser symtoms are starting to abate now:  Chills, sweating, headaches and toothaches are all already nearly a thing of the past. Sneezing, itching and blurry vision are hanging on a little bit more but improving. Oh and motivation is still very low. Why is it so much more compelling to post on BBs than it is to do my work from the same office, same chair, same computer?

Truth be told in a word, I'd say I still feel like crap... just a little bit less crappy. Though my wife says I seem more and more like my old self. I think she's being more kind than totally honest but at least she's very sweet and very supportive. I was embarrassed to do so, but I've told my 20-year-old son all about what I'm going through too and he's also been very supportive... even squeezes my sore back muscles whenever I ask.

Hey V, this is a great thread, my man!!! So excuse me for reiterating stuff you've heard before... but I really wanted to be part of the post-benzos club.  8) 8) :yippee:8) 8)

Though, paraphrasing what Groucho said, I'm not really sure I want to be part of a club that would have me as a member.

All my best to you all,

Albie

Hi ALbie,

I can totally relate.  When I dropped ambien my w/d symptoms greatly improved. I went from feeling like a 6.5 (on scale of 1-10, 10 best) to 7.5 virtually overnight.  Then my sleep improved and I found myself sleeping on my own, for 5 - 6 hours at a time; the first time in 25 years without sleep meds!  Then I had to take post op pain killers for a month, my insomnia came back in force, I took one dose of ambien 2 months later, and my life went to shi* again... but that's another story.

Memory/cog problems:  From what I've read, the memory thing is the last thing to improve and it often takes years.  I struggle with it too.  If I don't do something the moment I think about it (a task I've been assigned to do "before the day is out"; get something out of the freezer for dinner, make a phone call, etc.) I completely forget it.  I leave notes all over the place to remind me to do things, and then when I see the note a while later I have no idea what it means. (i.e., "call Sondra, 1pm". I see the note at 12:45 and think "why do I need to call Sondra? That's crazy."  Then at 2pm she calls me upset that I haven't called her. Crazy stuff like that.) I've gotten lost going to places I go to on a weekly basis. I'll be in the kitchen cooking, go to the fridge to get the next ingredient or go to a cabinet to get another pan, and I when I open the door I have absolutely no idea what I was going there for!  Lately I have to constantly repeat to myself what I'm doing - "get the laundry get the laundry get the laundry" and often I can feel the words fade from my brain as I'm saying them, and I panic, repeating them faster so I don't lose them ---and then poof, they're gone, and I'm standing there wondering what the hell I was doing, and totally panicking that I can lose my mind that easily.

Maybe it's worse because I'm sleeping less. But I've read of other people who at 18+ months feel their cog abilities are worse.  I HATE IT I HATE IT I HATE IT!

Anxiety:  Cortisol levels are at their lowest in the AMs, and of course benzos control cortisol production.  I suffered horribly in the beginning; I couldn't get out of bed often; but then it gradually faded.  Now, though, since that damn single dose of ambien a month ago, it's back. I can barely drink half a cup of coffee before it kicks in. 

WooHoo!!

ginger

Hey Ginger,

Thanks for sharing your experience. I can relate.  Although, I believe I've been pretty lucky on the cog fog... it's definitely there but not too bad... especially considering I was taking Ambien even during the daytime, along with opiates, A/Ds, muscle relaxers etc. Or, maybe I just think I'm doing okay and nobody else does.  :laugh:

Yeah, I'd stay away from that NASTY Ambien poison altogether. I got off of it once for 42 days and made the mistake of thinking I could take it PRN... HUGE MISTAKE!!!

You surely have come a LONG way, getting off of Klonopin and Ambien and you seem to have a great attitude. Huge congratulations on being Benzo-free for 19+ months and coming up 9 months on the Ambien (that one pill aside)!!!!!  

Best wishes on your continued healing,

Albie

Started an exercise program to try and do something about my post benzo fatigue and blues.  After about two weeks of steady walking or biking, I've gotten my blood pressure down to normal.   Have decreased carbs and trying to eat lower glycemic foods.  In the first week, I was maybe even more tired during the day after the exercise and probably shock to the system to not consume as much sugar.  Thankfully the intense sugar cravings have been going down.  I try not to exercise at night because I've heard it can impact sleep.  Interestingly, the last few days, I'm up at 5AM or so and have good energy, still some anxiety though.  Yet I still feel fatigued for periods during the day, particularly late afternoons are a killer.  I also stopped caffeine for the most part except occasional ice tea with lunch or sometimes green tea in the morning.  Have lost 4 pounds, 15 to go :thumbsup:.  Hope all you post benzo pepes are having a great weekend!

Best wishes,

V (no more)

That's great to hear V! :)

So glad that you BP has gone down. I'm right behind you on the excercise bikes! I usually ride mine in the afternoon. I've set mine up in the living room so that I can watch TV while I ride and this makes the time go by faster and more enjoyably! I used to ride this everyday when I worked at the job that required me to stand for long periods of time and I found that my leng strenght and stamina increased dramatically! I stoped doing this as much after I resigned from the job but now, some circulation problems have developed in my left leg and so it's back on the bike! It usually took about a week or 2 before I started noticing a dramatic improvment.

Also, glad to hear that you have developed a better eating plan! Better eating habbits  and feeling better go hand in hand!

Best wishes to you as you continue!

Hope everyone is having an enjoyable weekend!

That's awesome V. Great job of going after things, including the exercise program, the diet, cutting caffeine and carbs. Congratulations on sustaining the exercise program and on your weight loss. You're definitely headed in the right direction. Sounds like you're exercising pretty hard -- when I've gotten on sustained programs in the past, I also found that I was more tired for the first week or two. Also, I definitely found that exercising after 9PM was really bad for my sleep -- especially any real cardio and intense weight lifting. A light walk or stretching was okay. Lastly, it didn't take long for me to actually start waking up earlier once starting a program -- the waking earlier didn't seem like a bad thing, though -- just kinda seemed like my body didn't require quite as much sleep.

I'm also down about 3 or 4 lbs. I've gotten off of caffeine as well, but really need to cut my sugar and carbs, cut my wine consumption, quit nicotine ( I use the lozenges) and keep increasing my exercise program (which is fairly consistent, but VERY light at this time).  Those are my remaining nemeses, vices and goals.

Question:  How are you learning which foods are low glycemic ones?  Can't remember for sure, but is that what the book "Potatoes, not Prozac" is about?

Sounds like you're really doing great, V.  You've got a lot of irons in the fire to tackle this thing with a multi-pronged approach -- that's fantastic! Way to go, my man!!!

Keep on keepin' on,

Albie

Hey Albie.   The book Potatoes, not Prozac does support the notion of eating foods that are lower on the gycemic index, more fibers, whole grains... but it encourages eating some potato with skin (thats the key to eat the skin) to make it a slower food and which can supposedly increase serotonin production and help to elevate depression or blue moods if you take it before bed.  I also have a couple books on the subject of the glycemic index but I'm sure its available on the internet for free.  I'm basically just trying to reduce and mostly eliminate refined white breads, cakes, cookies, rice... eat less carbs in general and when I do, try to make it mostly healthier vegetables and some fruits.   I agree that waking up earlier is not so bad but I do tend to need about six hours to feel well and sometimes I've been waking at 5AM this week :tickedoff:.   I probably need to start going to bed a little earlier.

Take care,

V

Hi Vertigo,

That fatigue symptom is horrible, isn't it?  When it hit me I just wanted to melt on the spot I was standing.  I couldn't do a thing if my life depended on it.  It usually hit me in the latter part of the afternoon.  I still get it from time to time but nothing like it used to be.  You are doing a great job.

Patty  xo

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [Si...]
    • [er...]
    • [...]
    • [PA...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [bj...]
    • [de...]
    • [Ka...]
    • [Ar...]
    • [bi...]