Please Check, and if Necessary, Update Your BB Account Email Address as a Matter of Urgency ×
New Forum: Celebrating 20 Years of Support - Everyone is Invited! ×
  • Please Donate

Donate with PayPal button

For nearly 20 years, BenzoBuddies has assisted thousands of people through benzodiazepine withdrawal. Help us reach and support more people in need. More about donations here.

6-12 month thread....

[Co...]

Green. .your words ring so true..." in a wave we lose all perspective "..." there is not a way to soothe a buddie in the depths of a wave,".    That is the cruelty of benzo w/d , in a wave we can not see our way out of it...not because we are not ' working ' at it ...it is simply impossible for most of us. It is not something we can 'talk ' our selves into with positive self talk ( although positive self talk is very useful in our rational moments). Neither is it possible for friends family and fellow buddies to get us out of it with reassurance ( although reassurance from friends family and buddies is essential to our healing). It is like an infant with colic ( I am not comparing us to colicy babies)....you can do next to nothing to comfort a baby in the throes if colic..you can only be there for them. and let them know you are there.

...When I am in the depths of a wave the only thing that brings me reassurance is following the progress.  adage to day progress of other buddies...and matching up my s/x and progress.  In rational moments all of the friendly exchange, stories, thoughts, comments and abundant compassion. wisdome and humor get me from one day to the next...one month to the next.

.......I am so grateful for each one of you. ....

.....Green ...so happy to hear that you had a week of 70-75% baseline...we are so much better than we were last summer....I am writing this with the pounding heart...shakes and slight d/r..the anxiety that is chemical, but I don't have the mental panic that usually goes with it. The Benzo Beast is oddly quiet while my body tries to find a peaceful rhythm for itself... a panic without the panic?....

........you are all such dear people....sending windows to all of us...coop

• Replies 8.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• [Co...]

• [Gr...]

• [No...]

• [pe...]

Top Posters In This Topic

I have heard about changes in the pathways in the brain.  My counselor says that is the goal to create new pathways.  Negative thinking and depressing thoughts holds that back.  I also understand time will allow new pathways to be created.  I am 13 months off now and still in need of acquiring those new pathways.  I get mired down in those negative, depressing thoughts.  I am getting out of my comfort zone this week, going to the mountains with my wife and daughter.  3 days in a cabin.  Yes, I am out of my comfort zone, but if it gives me some confidence and creates these new pathways all the better.

Ditto, Gart

I did a family BBQ yesterday, with a long drive to and fro.  I could feel the fear and anxiety kicking up in the car on the way there.  I just consciously turned off the volume on the chatter in my head, focused on the moment, and breathed.  The day was pleasant.  By 10 p.m. I could feel s/x, but I was tired and it was time to go.  I really do feel that was a new pathway for me.  The trick is knowing when to push, to create new pathways.  Basically knowing when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.  Enjoy your vacation

Dear Beulah,

Hope you have time for a question.  Can you remember if you dealt with anxiety at around the 9 month mark?  The thing I'm really struggling with is whether or not this fear is really "me," or still recovery?  Did you go through any of that?  Any words of wisdom?

Floc

Floc, I jumped a week before you.  The irrational fear and feelings of panic welling up out of nowhere?  Yes, absolutely all through the ninth month.  Let up last week.  Still there, but somewhat under control.  But definitely still there.

Floc interestsing that you posted this question. I am right at month 9.5 ( give or take a few days...Dec 3 was my jump date). I am also experiencing anxiety...very much like acute and month 6. I wake up with pounding heart.. dread and fear. It lifts after I have been up for awhile, but cycles through the day with momentary surges of chemical anxiety. Yesterday I had a two hour window and then back to cycling moderate anxiety. I was taken off gaurd by this as in the last month I had been pretty stable at a baseline of 70-75% .

...I think Buelah also said that months 6*9 were still pretty much up and down for her, but she is doing much better now that she is closing in on month 12.

.....We are so close Flock ....How are you managing your anxiety? ...I am just using the tricks I have picked up along the way ....distraction....BBs..  CBT...time time time...lavender epsome salts hot baths...venturing out when I catch a window. I know we will get through his. Green says that often there is a heavy wave late in the first year that opens up to another leap in healing... ..hope so. Life is just ahead of me and he had a wave of depression in the last 8 days. Healing Hope is a little past 12 months and still has brief moments but is totally getting her life back. ...Wishing you fast relief from your anxiety and windows that don't close....coop

Coop, pounding heart, dread and fear, that's classic cortisol, classic withdrawal.  While I'm not under a wave, I can recognize that as part of the cycle of healing.  I'm sighing because when it hits me, I will lose all sanity and powers of reasoning.  Sigh.

Coop ... "while my body tries to find a peaceful rhythm for itself" ... yes ... when the beast is quiet and when my mind is quiet I can here this "rhythm" ... and I do believe all the symptoms are just that ... my body moving on its way to that peaceful rhythm ... and that "peaceful rhythm" is not a destination ... I believe that rhythm is always there in the background ... just when I get too loud I lose track of it and cannot "feel" it ... thank you for reminding me ...

:smitten:

Life....I have been having the intaday windows and waves s too....an hour of panic and fear gives way to a sunbreak...the sunbreak clouds over...enter depression....the depression lifts and I am on a steady 70-75% baseline.....then the whole thing shakes up like Yahtzee and some new oder of s/x rolls out...Nova speaks of this too....still...we are better than 9 and 11 months ago

Life I have a feeling for you that as Green says....one last whopping wave before more permanent healing.....so glad you are with us....sending you a window and lots of love...coop

Green. .your words ring so true..." in a wave we lose all perspective "..." there is not a way to soothe a buddie in the depths of a wave,".    That is the cruelty of benzo w/d , in a wave we can not see our way out of it...not because we are not ' working ' at it ...it is simply impossible for most of us. It is not something we can 'talk ' our selves into with positive self talk ( although positive self talk is very useful in our rational moments). Neither is it possible for friends family and fellow buddies to get us out of it with reassurance ( although reassurance from friends family and buddies is essential to our healing). It is like an infant with colic ( I am not comparing us to colicy babies)....you can do next to nothing to comfort a baby in the throes if colic..you can only be there for them. and let them know you are there.

...When I am in the depths of a wave the only thing that brings me reassurance is following the progress.  adage to day progress of other buddies...and matching up my s/x and progress.  In rational moments all of the friendly exchange, stories, thoughts, comments and abundant compassion. wisdome and humor get me from one day to the next...one month to the next.

.......I am so grateful for each one of you. ....

.....Green ...so happy to hear that you had a week of 70-75% baseline...we are so much better than we were last summer....I am writing this with the pounding heart...shakes and slight d/r..the anxiety that is chemical, but I don't have the mental panic that usually goes with it. The Benzo Beast is oddly quiet while my body tries to find a peaceful rhythm for itself... a panic without the panic?....

........you are all such dear people....sending windows to all of us...coop

The baby with colic is a perfect analogy.  That baby knows nothing but it's pain and all it can do is wail uncontrollably, hour after hour -- the tragedy being when we're out of control, pain is worse. A  buddy in a wave is that baby, writhing in pain, unable to accept comfort or consolation.  And remember the parents who become angry and impatient after a while?  Are those our friends and family?

I'm not in sync with the rest of you.  When you guys feel great, I'm under water.  So from the vantage point of my temporarily more rational mental state, you all sound a hell of a lot better than you did three months ago.  JENNY, GART, PEACE, L4M, COOP, BEULAH, LISA, MOM, MRS., SKY, and anybody I forgot, you all sound a hell of a lot better.  You're in a wave, it will pass.  And when you feel better, I will be drowning again, lol.

Jenny....if it is any comfort...head pressure and ear pressure is still my most difficult s/x as well. Mine appeared out of the blue at the beginning of June and remains intermittently.  I wont have it for a day or so...maybe a few days and then it is back. I do think it is lessening in intensity. If I had a logical explanation for it I could handle it better. ...Even though you are still in the blahs and your had pressure continues your posts sound less fearful and depressed than a month ago. ...You are making progress with the rest of us. ...Some day soon you and I are going to wake up without ear buzzing and head pressure...not to see it ever come back...and I don't know about you,  but I will be dancing in the street on that day.

.....keep it going Jenny...we are all right there with you....coop

Green....we have the river raft.....we would never allow you to drown....we need you ..your words are like spanking jewels on the path when the night has no moon and the winds of fear whistle in our poor hearts. You have never ...ever written one akward word....and no body in this group has ever rolled their eyes at you. We love you. ...coop

* ..sparkling*...lol....not spanking...Auto Correct is being a little crazed today...or she is thinking of that ' other ' forum I visit.  Lol...jk...

Good morning friends,

Last night was interesting as was this morning.  I had a fairly 'normal' day.  Went to bed as usual and woke at 3am.  When I woke up it wasn't immediately into a sweat.  I laid there for a moment and then the heat hit and sweat came.  There were no intrusive thoughts.. none.  I fell back to sleep around 5am and woke at 8am.  There was no funk, which I haven't had for about 5 days now.  When I wake up there is usually a thought process that hits me between the eyes.  It's a terrible, morbid thought that I have to push away.  Today the thought was gone.. and sharp objects around the kitchen aren't glistening. 

I am saying this because I am hoping that as you guy get less and less you will remember me saying this.  What lessening symptoms look like.  It's not so much a window as an awareness my hours are getting more and more normal.  After vacation I didn't think I would get back some of those 100% sensations, but they ARE showing up again. 

Nova - What is normal?  That's a great question and probably different for each of us.  For me it's not thinking about benzo day in and day out... every second of the day wondering if the bus is coming for me or who is going to die.. me or someone I love.. or being sick and ignoring it.. Just living life.. that is normal to me friend.  I hope you got some sleep last night.

Beulah - I am so glad your pain has lifted.  It's good to hear this leaves.  I never knew our brain could cause so much havoc.  You have had a lot of pain and I know it is encouraging for others. 

Mrs. - WOW!!!!  Awesome sauce.  I am so excited for you.  Slay that Dragon!  I hope you slept well and woke up energized this morning. 

Coop - How are you today?  A little wavy?  I am so glad Beulah had words to help. 

Jenny - The symptoms do trade out with each other.  The stuff gets less and then it comes up with blah instead of depressed or hyper worried instead of anxiety.  It's simmering down.  I am telling you.  The little of the old me is huge.  I wasn't sure I would get those 100% hours back after vacation, but thy are showing up again.  Be encouraged. 

Garton - I have been dealing with this too.. but they are dissipating.  Seriously.. to not wake up with a morbid thought either in the night or in the morning is coming to come back for you.  I promise.  HH said it and I am here to tell you.  I didn't think I would feel rested again, but it's here today.

Peace - For me.. absolutely hormones play into it.  My doctor would say it is spiking my symptoms.  Just like Life had that horrible plate handed to him, you have had an extra chemical push by your hormones and an extra stressor with the job starting.  Life survived and you will too.  One of my buddies told me to embrace the cycle when it shows up.. i.e. be mentally grateful.  It means everything is working normally.  I'm sorry this is hard.  You will be a great teacher and make new friends.  We are going to read about your progress and celebrate with you.  Try to focus on today and the kids laughing and playing.  The are little for such a short time.  Everytime benzo puts me on edge, I kiss a cheek and smell their hair.

GreenIce - Hugging you with my virtual arms.  Yup.. all perspective is lost.  It's good not to be alone in this crap heap.  Yes, biotin for hair.  I bought the supplement, but the lowest dose possible.. 300mcg.  They have up to 10,000mcg.. EEK!  It actually gave me anxiety to get it.  A natural doctor loaded me down with all kinds of supplements and I couldn't take any of them.  They are sitting on my desk staring accusingly because I paid $200.. chelation, adrenal support, liver support, some kind of parasite killer.. I couldn't do it.  I am too scared it will cause adverse reactions.  I will start with the biotin for 5 days.  I also bought a low acid vitamin.  That is all I can handle.

Floc-  Last month while on vacation I got slammed pretty good (I had started month 8).  We were on the east coast. It started when I was attached by chiggers and experienced itching to point of pain.  It made me feel crazed and on the verge of hysteria.  Sooo benzoish.  After that my sleep left me and all the other victories I seem to have had went out the window. Wavy central.  In June I experienced my first 100% sensation where benzo thoughts and sensation both physical and mental were gone.  I was terrified the vacation activities had reset my baseline.  Two days a go I had my first 100% sensation return.  This morning I was crying for joy because the first thought in my head wasn't morbid.  It gets better.  I will be 10 months on the 28th.

Getting up and dressed.  Hubby and I go are going away for the night.  I am at peace with it.  The days of not being able to travel are seemingly behind me.  Another dragon left limp and lifeless in my wake.  I am sure there are more dragons ahead, but I have you guys to reassure me I can do it.  My blade is tucked away in it's sheath, sharpened and cleaned.  I am going to enjoy the journey, but keep my armor on just incase something pops out. 

My mom is upset at me because I didn't tell her what time to be here today.  I am tired of asking for help.  She wouldn't get so exasperated if I wasn't constantly tapping her.  No matter what my journey or path, I will be a 16 year old to her... wanting to be independent but needing her help.. 

MommyR

Good morning friends,

Last night was interesting as was this morning.  I had a fairly 'normal' day.  Went to bed as usual and woke at 3am.  When I woke up it wasn't immediately into a sweat.  I laid there for a moment and then the heat hit and sweat came.  There were no intrusive thoughts.. none.  I fell back to sleep around 5am and woke at 8am.  There was no funk, which I haven't had for about 5 days now.  When I wake up there is usually a thought process that hits me between the eyes.  It's a terrible, morbid thought that I have to push away.  Today the thought was gone.. and sharp objects around the kitchen aren't glistening. 

I am saying this because I am hoping that as you guy get less and less you will remember me saying this.  What lessening symptoms look like.  It's not so much a window as an awareness my hours are getting more and more normal.  After vacation I didn't think I would get back some of those 100% sensations, but they ARE showing up again. 

Nova - What is normal?  That's a great question and probably different for each of us.  For me it's not thinking about benzo day in and day out... every second of the day wondering if the bus is coming for me or who is going to die.. me or someone I love.. or being sick and ignoring it.. Just living life.. that is normal to me friend.  I hope you got some sleep last night.

Beulah - I am so glad your pain has lifted.  It's good to hear this leaves.  I never knew our brain could cause so much havoc.  You have had a lot of pain and I know it is encouraging for others. 

Mrs. - WOW!!!!  Awesome sauce.  I am so excited for you.  Slay that Dragon!  I hope you slept well and woke up energized this morning. 

Coop - How are you today?  A little wavy?  I am so glad Beulah had words to help. 

Jenny - The symptoms do trade out with each other.  The stuff gets less and then it comes up with blah instead of depressed or hyper worried instead of anxiety.  It's simmering down.  I am telling you.  The little of the old me is huge.  I wasn't sure I would get those 100% hours back after vacation, but thy are showing up again.  Be encouraged. 

Garton - I have been dealing with this too.. but they are dissipating.  Seriously.. to not wake up with a morbid thought either in the night or in the morning is coming to come back for you.  I promise.  HH said it and I am here to tell you.  I didn't think I would feel rested again, but it's here today.

Peace - For me.. absolutely hormones play into it.  My doctor would say it is spiking my symptoms.  Just like Life had that horrible plate handed to him, you have had an extra chemical push by your hormones and an extra stressor with the job starting.  Life survived and you will too.  One of my buddies told me to embrace the cycle when it shows up.. i.e. be mentally grateful.  It means everything is working normally.  I'm sorry this is hard.  You will be a great teacher and make new friends.  We are going to read about your progress and celebrate with you.  Try to focus on today and the kids laughing and playing.  The are little for such a short time.  Everytime benzo puts me on edge, I kiss a cheek and smell their hair.

GreenIce - Hugging you with my virtual arms.  Yup.. all perspective is lost.  It's good not to be alone in this crap heap.  Yes, biotin for hair.  I bought the supplement, but the lowest dose possible.. 300mcg.  They have up to 10,000mcg.. EEK!  It actually gave me anxiety to get it.  A natural doctor loaded me down with all kinds of supplements and I couldn't take any of them.  They are sitting on my desk staring accusingly because I paid $200.. chelation, adrenal support, liver support, some kind of parasite killer.. I couldn't do it.  I am too scared it will cause adverse reactions.  I will start with the biotin for 5 days.  I also bought a low acid vitamin.  That is all I can handle.

Floc-  Last month while on vacation I got slammed pretty good.  I had just started month 8.  We were on the east coast. It started when I was attached by chiggers and experienced itching to point of pain.  It made me feel crazed and on the verge of hysteria.  Sooo benzoish.  After that my sleep left me and all the other victories I seem to have had went out the window. Wavy central.  In June I experienced my first 100% sensation where benzo thoughts and sensation both physical and mental were gone.  I was terrified the vacation activities had reset my baseline.  Two days a go I had my first 100% sensation return.  This morning I was crying for joy because the first thought in my head wasn't morbid.  It gets better.  I will be 10 months on the 28th.

Getting up and dressed.  Hubby and I go are going away for the night.  I am at peace with it.  The days of not being able to travel are seemingly behind me.  Another dragon left limp and lifeless in my wake.  I am sure there are more dragons ahead, but I have you guys to reassure me I can do it.  My blade is tucked away in it's sheath, sharpened and cleaned.  I am going to enjoy the journey, but keep my armor on just incase something pops out. 

My mom is upset at me because I didn't tell her what time to be here today.  I am tired of asking for help.  She wouldn't get so exasperated if I wasn't constantly tapping her.  No matter what my journey or path, I will be a 16 year old to her... wanting to be independent but needing her help.. 

MommyR

Green....we have the river raft.....we would never allow you to drown....we need you ..your words are like spanking jewels on the path when the night has no moon and the winds of fear whistle in our poor hearts. You have never ...ever written one akward word....and no body in this group has ever rolled their eyes at you. We love you. ...coop

Coop, you have the heart of a benzo poet, auto spell and all!  Have a wonderful day.

Coop, Green and Mommy:  Thank you so much for replying to me about anxiety.  Since I'm worried about real things, (like worrying about my children, aging, dying, being left alone, losing my husband, suffering in the world... :-\), I have doubts that it's w/d, especially since all my physical symptoms are gone.  It would really make me feel a lot better to believe that this was still recovery.  I'm 9 mos out at this point. 

Bless all you guys! 

Floc, I believe it is wd, at least partly! I am experiencing anxiety at times, which I never did prior to stopping the Benzos! I have anxiety about real world things, but when I'm in a window these same thoughts do not bother me!!

So strange! I cannot wait till the day I don't have this!!

I hope everyone is getting relief!

:smitten:

Mommy, you have NO IDEA how great it is you posted this. Thank you for that.

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Beulah,

I'm so happy to hear your good news!  How great is that?!!!

I'm worried because although I was on a low dose I was on for about 15 years---that freaks me out.  You were a fairly short term user right?

Anyhow, I'm delighted for you and sure hope my healing process sees improvement soon, as well.

Lisa

Hey Lisa, read my sig. line. 10 yrs. I was in really bad w/d from using xanax everyday for 13 yrs.

I lost my mom and sister and I thought taking an occasional ativan would do no harm, my doc said as long as I didn't take it everyday I would be fine..errrrrrr. :tickedoff:

I healed nicely from my first w/d and I didn't think 50 ativan in a 3 yr. period would do this harm.

You will heal!!!! Don't listen to the benzo lies, I know it's hard not to, but try. They really are lies Lisa, that's the w/d putting the doubts in your head, I went thru this and still am sometimes.

Let the w/d have it's way, don't fight it, accept it as healing....yes it's hard... the hardest thing I've done in my life.

Babysteps :smitten:

Freed,

This is a post from another buddy of mine who had pain as a symptom as well. She's very "homeopathic" lol, and she posted this about some things she's tried for pain management. I'm trying to remember the name of one other thing she had mentioned in the past. It was some sort of pad that she'd get from Walgreens or CVS or something. If I can find her post about it or remember, I will let you know :)

You are healing, buddy -- just don't forget that :)

Take care,

Mrs. :smitten:

Hi Friends,

Thanks for being here. I am a lurker due to the big wave I'm in. Went in to see my doctor today. She is so encouraging. She told me how proud she is of me. She said I am the "poster child" for how to get through this. She recommended 2 things to support healing. First is a supplement called, NAC. I have taken it before and had no problems during w/d with it. She uses it a lot and it is really helpful for brain health and it allows the brain to heal more quickly. They use it for brain injuries sometimes and for addictions. It really helps alcoholics recover more quickly from w/d and since alcohol has a similar effect on the receptors she thinks it is worth a shot. It has been well researched. The dose is 1,000mg (two 500mg) twice per day. I'll let you know if I notice anything from it as I'm going to start it later next week. The second suggestion is the homeopathic remedy called Arnica Montana. It is a homeopathic anti-inflammatory. It can be used as a cream or gel (several of us use this for muscle pain) but it can also be taken internally. This has helped my back pain a lot. You can take it long term and a lot of athletes use it for muscle pain as well. The brand that is sold in stores is called Boiron. It comes in 2 doses and the best is the one that will say 30C. You take 5 pellets 3 times per day and it can be taken as long as you want...even years! Anyway, she said it really can help bring down inflammation in the brain as well as in the body. I have used this but not consistently and so I started it today. I'll keep you posted on it as well.

Hope this helps!

Love,

Hopeful Girl  :smitten:

thanks Mrs, GMIT and Beulah,

I've tried arnica, motrin and tylenol but they don't touch this pain.  It's like how your body feels when you have acute strep minus the sore throat.  The forehead burning and head pressure are the worst, but then body stuff even make it worse.

Laying on the couch resting cause me to get sore from inactivity, yet doing stuff is awful because I feel so sick.

This seems implausible to me.

love to you all,

Lisa

Jenny ..I don't know what kind of pain you are having....and I hate to sound like a broken ( and irritating ) record....but... hot soak in lavender epsome salts seems to soothe everything from anxiety to headaches. It wont make the pain go away as a s/x but it helps in the moment.

......I am also getting a lit of body aches back...shoulders ..neck...back.  neck tendons and shin splint pain in one leg..( I don't run). ......I hope this helps even a little...I also take aspirin when my body hurts....hope you feel better soon Jenny.....coop

Floc! .  I could have written your last post....me too.....my kids...my grandchildren....aging...dying...medical proceduresthat I will surely have to endure for all the real ( but imaginary) health fatal conditions that I have ( don't have).  ...I hope this is true for you: in a window ...on a 100% day I can still this k about these things but in a completely rational normal way that non- withdrawing contemplate aging ....in a sane way that does not engage mountains of fear, depression and morbid thinking. It is normal for people my age (64) to reflect on how we want to age and have an awareness that life is different at 64 than it was at 44...but it is still beautiful and happy...benzo w/d turns all of that into a Tim Burton film. ...More than once I have realized that sometimes I am living like a 110 year old on life support..

.....We are not there yet....we sewer going to recover fully and dance with bittersweetness at the weddings of our grandchildren. We have so much still within us to offer to our families and the world.

....It is absolutely wonderful that the rest of your s/x are gone....this will also leave you...coop

Thank you, dear Coop.  You are a wonderful person and friend.  I have no doubt that when you are healed you'll still be here helping others.  You have a great, compassionate heart!

Hello everybody,

Thanks for sharing whatever info you find on the forum or elsewhere with us !

About catastrophic thoughts, they are so tiring but Coop is so right. I have not had relief from them yet, but in general, nighttime is the worst and I plague my loved ones with my anxieties on bright topics such as ... nevermind, you are all much better off without knowing ! :)

Anyway before I forget to write what I wanted to talk about, I have a new not so exciting development. My skin is starting to dry up in many places, including my face.  I am moisturizing it like crazy but it isn't helping.

Again, this is hardly the worst thing on the list but it is in my personal appearance, I do look like I have been through a lot, why add to it ?

I don't remember having read anything on the subject, but if anybody knows more on the subject please let's talk about it.

Again, thanks for sharing victories but also doubts and fears. The fears, are so hard to talk about, I guess we all feel alone in them when we really are not.

Sometimes  I always feel guilty for my thoughts. It is really hard to remember that this is our brains and not our minds. A difference I have learned to appreciate.

Have a better week everybody. :smitten:

• Who's Online (See full list)

• [kn...]
    • [Le...]
    • [mo...]
    • [Os...]
    • [...]
    • [...]
    • [Fi...]
    • [Ni...]
    • [Ro...]
    • [jo...]